Seriously No Politics ×

Feeling sad about Cub Scouts...

I just realised this will be my last Pinewood Derby, unless I join some outside troop (probably not happening, since I am surrounded by females at my house).

I will really miss the program and seeing the boys work toward these bigger projects. I am really excited/nervous to see what rolls out in the coming year. 

11 hours ago, The Nehor said:

You can still do pinewood derbies. We did one for all the Youth once just because we could. They will sell the car kits to anyone last I heard.

Craft shops carried them back when I went looking. 

12 hours ago, Jean-Luc Picard said:

I just realised this will be my last Pinewood Derby, unless I join some outside troop (probably not happening, since I am surrounded by females at my house).

I will really miss the program and seeing the boys work toward these bigger projects. I am really excited/nervous to see what rolls out in the coming year. 

6 sons, 18 derby cars, narry a winner! 🏆🏎💔 But lots of fun. We even started an adult derby with an “unlimited” category. The traditions can continue as a ward/stake activity if we wish.

And a couple of weeks ago, the Church gave permission for the bishop to post notice of non-lds scout troops recruitment efforts on church bulletins.    So it isn't like you can't go to a local troop, if you want to.   And what does being surrounded by women have to do with it: there are now scout patrols/troops that are for girls.?

While the new program hasn't been announced, I'm 99.9% sure it will include the option for a pinewood derby and other activities that were traditionally done by the Cub Scouts, and I'm just as certain wards with tracks will continue the tradition.

The upside to this is that it is also far more likely that the 8-10yo girls will also get to participate.  My daughters' Girl Scout groups did a pinewood derby, and I can assure you they were just as interested and excited to participate as my son was in Cub Scouts.

13 hours ago, The Nehor said:

You can still do pinewood derbies. We did one for all the Youth once just because we could. They will sell the car kits to anyone last I heard.

Yup. Our ward does them for both girls and boys. Ditto the scout camp up at Camp Jeremiah Johnson. I suspect what we'll end up with is retaining the popular activities like the rain gutter regalia or the pinewood derby and just making it more equitable among the boys and girls. But losing some of the nonsense that plagues scouts.

Edited by clarkgoble
8 hours ago, rpn said:

And a couple of weeks ago, the Church gave permission for the bishop to post notice of non-lds scout troops recruitment efforts on church bulletins.    So it isn't like you can't go to a local troop, if you want to.   And what does being surrounded by women have to do with it: there are now scout patrols/troops that are for girls.?

I am coaching too many teams right now. My girls tried Girl Scouts and would rather play sports. If it isn't a calling, I would probably decline.

I actually like the inclusion of girls in the programs. 

8 hours ago, cinepro said:

While the new program hasn't been announced, I'm 99.9% sure it will include the option for a pinewood derby and other activities that were traditionally done by the Cub Scouts, and I'm just as certain wards with tracks will continue the tradition.

The upside to this is that it is also far more likely that the 8-10yo girls will also get to participate.  My daughters' Girl Scout groups did a pinewood derby, and I can assure you they were just as interested and excited to participate as my son was in Cub Scouts.

My wife was running activity days last year, we had them participate. It was quite fun.

My daughters girl scout troop ran a race as well. I was very impressed with the cars with that group. 

I didn't see any "school bus" cars going down the track. 

8 hours ago, cinepro said:

we do a stake one and based on the video I saw on FB, if you can make a car then bombs away💣

5 hours ago, Rivers said:

I've been called as Cubmaster in my ward.  I can't decide how seriously I should to take the calling.  Do I sprint to the finish line or do I just lumber across it?

This isn't for you. This isn't for the program. This is for the boys. You sprint. You make a difference in their lives. 

18 hours ago, Rivers said:

I've been called as Cubmaster in my ward.  I can't decide how seriously I should to take the calling.  Do I sprint to the finish line or do I just lumber across it?

if the parenTs arent inVolved, it wonT work. if the BSA adults arenT inVolved, it wonT work. if the oys are more interested in sports or other scitviites, which is totoally fine, then it wonT work.  no reason nOt to put your best foot forward, but marathoninG it - like runnInG the eNTire program anD doin Gwhat the parenTs anD otehrs iN Teh ward should have been doinG for years? nah

3 minutes ago, nuclearfuels said:

if the parenTs arent inVolved, it wonT work. if the BSA adults arenT inVolved, it wonT work. if the oys are more interested in sports or other scitviites, which is totoally fine, then it wonT work.  no reason nOt to put your best foot forward, but marathoninG it - like runnInG the eNTire program anD doin Gwhat the parenTs anD otehrs iN Teh ward should have been doinG for years? nah

This almost made my brain melt...

9 hours ago, nuclearfuels said:

Yeah, my husband is the scoutmaster in a ward that has never had a scouting tradition to begin with. Nobody cares and technically, he should only be meeting with the Deacons who know scouting is ending. And they are now younger and just beginning the program. Everyone knows scouting is ending so there is no “buy in” from anyone. He has a meeting with them once a month. You can’t really accomplish much meeting once a month. Non-LDS Troops meet weekly. Parents and boys are not going to do anything at home either. 

There has never been nor does anyone want to start a scout committee.

It is futile so he has a monthly activity about things they are interested in. 

I understand the need for a long “scouting is ending” warning but it is somewhat tortuous. Cubs has been easier. They still meet weekly and do everything required. But, earning the requirements is not as important.

Edited by bsjkki
11 hours ago, nuclearfuels said:

Rivers was talking about cub scouts which I find is different. If no one is showing up to den or pack meeting then that is one thing, but if boys are showing up then its best to sprint. 

I had some pretty mixed feelings about scouts when I became a den leader and took the training. I discovered the whole system is set up to help the boys learn all the things in oath, motto and law. The rewards were to encourage them to learn those things (not the words themselves, but what they represent), but most people run the program as the rewards are the end goal. "You should get your eagle!". Rarely one ever emphasizes why one would want to do it. 

So when I started out I decided I didn't care about the awards at all. The boys would earn their wolves in my den if they came and the belt loops might encourage them occasionally, but more important was what they were learning.

When it was announced we would no longer have cub scouts I kept running it the same way because it really didn't matter that they wouldn't be going on to get their eagle through the church when I was already doing what the program was meant to accomplish. And the boys and parents loved it.

I was surprised when last week I was released. I thought I would be released at the end of the year. 

So if the boys are showing up to pack meeting then plan things that will be fun for them where they will learn. It doesn't matter if the boys will never get their eagle through the church. It only matters that you make it worth it (to attend and for their lives) for them now.

ETA - many think of pack meeting as dumb. It is good to help scouts have fun and sometimes have some silliness, but pack meeting can have a whole lot of good learning in it if prayerfully planned. Not a church meeting by any means, but the silly cheers and jokes should enhance the learning going on not be the entire focus.

Edited by Rain
8 hours ago, Rain said:

Rivers was talking about cub scouts which I find is different. If no one is showing up to den or pack meeting then that is one thing, but if boys are showing up then its best to sprint. 

I had some pretty mixed feelings about scouts when I became a den leader and took the training. I discovered the whole system is set up to help the boys learn all the things in oath, motto and law. The rewards were to encourage them to learn those things (not the words themselves, but what they represent), but most people run the program as the rewards are the end goal. "You should get your eagle!". Rarely one ever emphasizes why one would want to do it. 

So when I started out I decided I didn't care about the awards at all. The boys would earn their wolves in my den if they came and the belt loops might encourage them occasionally, but more important was what they were learning.

When it was announced we would no longer have cub scouts I kept running it the same way because it really didn't matter that they wouldn't be going on to get their eagle through the church when I was already doing what the program was meant to accomplish. And the boys and parents loved it.

I was surprised when last week I was released. I thought I would be released at the end of the year. 

So if the boys are showing up to pack meeting then plan things that will be fun for them where they will learn. It doesn't matter if the boys will never get their eagle through the church. It only matters that you make it worth it (to attend and for their lives) for them now.

ETA - many think of pack meeting as dumb. It is good to help scouts have fun and sometimes have some silliness, but pack meeting can have a whole lot of good learning in it if prayerfully planned. Not a church meeting by any means, but the silly cheers and jokes should enhance the learning going on not be the entire focus.

Rain,

I just saw your sig line.  Did you get an advance copy of Sister Craig's October 2019 General Conference address? ;):D 

Sorry. :huh:  Couldn't resist!  Carry on!