Seriously No Politics ×

Church has become the only place where some of these women experience what they consider to be discrimination

The Salt Lake Tribune recently discussed Jana Reiss' new book The Next Mormons: How Millennials Are Changing the LDS Church.  The findings of their research including items where younger generations of Mormons are much more socially liberal than the older generations.  The above quote from the book really stood out to me. 

Many work outside the home, are increasingly more educated, and have fewer children like their U.S. counterparts. “Church has become the only place where some of these women … experience what they consider to be discrimination,” Riess said. Female millennials are more likely than older members to say that they do not have enough say in the church’s programs and decision-making.

Unfortunately sexism and gender discrimination has been bad in many societies but I think the trend has been moving against this for a century.  In the secular world not only is discrimination based upon sex highly unethical but probably illegal.  I hadn't considered the perspective of a woman enjoying a life free from discrimination because of her gender everywhere but within the organization of the church.  

Phaedrus 

3 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

Considering how women are discriminated against generally in society I find it surprising they would pick the church as their bogeyman and not their employers or the people they date or how they are treated socially, and the like.

I agree. I'm highly skeptical that church is the "only" place these women ever experience what they consider to be discrimination. 

20 minutes ago, phaedrus ut said:

The Salt Lake Tribune recently discussed Jana Reiss' new book The Next Mormons: How Millennials Are Changing the LDS Church.  The findings of their research including items where younger generations of Mormons are much more socially liberal than the older generations.  The above quote from the book really stood out to me. 

Unfortunately sexism and gender discrimination has been bad in many societies but I think the trend has been moving against this for a century.  In the secular world not only is discrimination based upon sex highly unethical but probably illegal.  I hadn't considered the perspective of a woman enjoying a life free from discrimination because of her gender everywhere but within the organization of the church. 

Its hard for members who've been conditioned to how the church operates to see the sexism that is present in the systems and traditions of the CoJCoLDS.  I'm thinking the disparity for the younger generations is even more obvious to them, so they are finding it a bigger struggle than previous generations.  The boys do all the "important" work, the boys are in charge of the meetings the boys are conducting, etc. 

This obviously needs to change, but how likely is it that the current 15 in charge will be willing to change something and in that same act relinquish some of their own power and prestige in the process?  I'm afraid that until the disparity between the culture and the church gets even more out of calibration to the point of external pressure on the church, we'll continue to see little concessions here and there but avoiding the larger issue at the root of all this and that is the priesthood.  

5 minutes ago, phaedrus ut said:

The good part is these women don't actually need you to believe them.  They get to speak their own truth viewpoints. 

Phaedrus 

Fixed it for you. No thanks expected. 😎

But it is no secret that there is a group of women that are not satisfied with traditional roles that women have played in the church and want a greater voice in how the church is governed, etc. I believe that the leadership is reviewing the matters and working to address those concerns as well as they can withing the constraints of the Priesthood authority.

There are many that will not be satisfied with that and I do not know where it will take them It has taken one of my daughters out of the church.

Just wanted to add a thought. I should not be able to edit another person's comments that I quote. It would make it so easy to do so without notice. Sometimes just an additional word or removing a word can significantly alter the meaning of a person's comments.

Edited by Glenn101
Added a couple of thoughts
Female millennials are more likely than older members to say that they do not have enough say in the church’s programs and decision-making.

Yawn.

Female millennials are Primary teachers, older members have been  RS presidents.

Edited by cdowis
8 minutes ago, phaedrus ut said:

Next time someone bears their testimony you should correct them and tell them they don't "know the church is true" they just have a viewpoint.  Or do you only change truth to viewpoints when you disagree with the information? 

Phaedrus 

Did not realize that you or the women were bearing their testimony of "the truth." But a testimony meeting is not a debating forum. I do not debate testimonies.

5 minutes ago, cdowis said:

Female millennials are more likely than older members to say that they do not have enough say in the church’s programs and decision-making.

Yawn.

Female millennials are Primary teachers, older members have been  RS presidents.

I think you might be confusing generations.  I know multiple bishops and RS presidents that are millennials.

Phaedrus 

I've been regularly calling out sexist behavior all my life at church (though I never really called it that, it seemed to be just stupid stuff that was unnecessary or unkind), mostly resulting in leader apology and change to address the issue.    Unless a member thinks that not holding the priesthood is discrimination,  the only area where I've seen what could legitimately be called discrimination is the comparative funding and planning and recognition of the YW/YM programs, and the church is in the process of addressing that (and much of what has occurred has been more of the ease of following BSA program (and traditions of scouting and staffing) rather than actual desire for different treatment or based on sex).

Are there things we could and should do differently in our era of the church.   Of course.  Will the church benefit greatly as it includes women more in planning and deciding in the church?  Yes, though that depends largely on whether the women themselves are the church members who have enough and the kind of experiences and support to freely give candid advice, and be able to articulate perspectives of women that they don't personally share as well as their own.  (Which is the same need from the men.)   Faithful women do NOT all think alike or live the gospel in the same ways.

IMHO, this isn't a man vs woman issue.   And to some degree it is about individual members sharing their wrestling and suggestions in settings where others listen.

37 minutes ago, phaedrus ut said:

I think you might be confusing generations.  I know multiple bishops and RS presidents that are millennials.

Phaedrus 

Shrug.

I do not define millennials by their date of birth.

Edited by cdowis
1 hour ago, Amulek said:

I agree. I'm highly skeptical that church is the "only" place these women ever experience what they consider to be discrimination. 

Maybe the women could chime in here and tell us what they think.  Would giving the Presiding Bishopric to the women be an adequate first act of concession? Women in complete charge of all LDS Charities and Welfare Square, with men working for them.  What would Jana Reiss say?

2 hours ago, Glenn101 said:

Just wanted to add a thought. I should not be able to edit another person's comments that I quote. It would make it so easy to do so without notice. Sometimes just an additional word or removing a word can significantly alter the meaning of a person's comments.

That is probably one of the reasons it is against board rules to do so.  You might want to delete the altered quote as I have seen posters getvbanned for it.

2 hours ago, Glenn101 said:

Also, Nehor is the smartest person I have ever met.

I agree on both points.

Just lost a post...obviously the world telling me it is time to move on from breakfast to the treadmill...before I go, there are still many women who perceive sexism in the workplace, which why it seems remarkable if these women feel they only perceive it at church...but perhaps they are in happy pockets:

https://www.dailydot.com/irl/sexism-heart-teachers-striking/

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/college/2017/08/03/college-women-in-tech-were-encountering-sexism-already/104272100/

https://healthydebate.ca/opinions/sexism-in-medicine

Edited by Calm