Seriously No Politics ×

Missionary work

I’ve been listening to a book on the history of Christianity throput throughout the world. It has me thinking about missionary work for our Church and how we’ve barely scratched the surface. I want to do my part to share the gospel and it seems nothing I do has any impact whatsoever.

What can we do to actually impact the missionary effort? Especially since I’m not a young rooster any more

2 hours ago, Avatar4321 said:

I’ve been listening to a book on the history of Christianity throput throughout the world. It has me thinking about missionary work for our Church and how we’ve barely scratched the surface. I want to do my part to share the gospel and it seems nothing I do has any impact whatsoever.

What can we do to actually impact the missionary effort? Especially since I’m not a young rooster any more

I’ve found preaching Christianity (Atonement) rather than a focus on Mormonism (Joseph Smith, Book of Mormon, Word of Wisdom, etc...) is more effective. 

I've shared with you my formula before:

• Live up to your privileges so that you actually have something to share. We should be having experiences as Latter-day Saints that others will covet if known.
  • Do genuinely good things.
  • Invite other people to join you (and your family) in doing good things.
  • When/as the Spirit directs, share with those people how the gospel blesses your life.
Edited by Hamba Tuhan
3 minutes ago, carbon dioxide said:

In a world that is becoming more wicked, we should not look at numbers to see if we are being effective missionaries.

But we can certainly consider if we are being effective missionaries. I suspect most of us could be far better.

40 minutes ago, carbon dioxide said:

In a world that is becoming more wicked, we should not look at numbers to see if we are being effective missionaries.   Noah did not convert many but that does not mean he was not a good missionary.

I’m not sure I’d be good if I looked at other criteria

2 hours ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

I've shared with you my formula before:

• Live up to your privileges so that you actually have something to share. We should be having experiences as Latter-day Saints that others will covet if known.
  • Do genuinely good things.
  • Invite other people to join you (and your family) in doing good things.
  • When/as the Spirit directs, share with those people how the gospel blesses your life.

I think I’m tripping over one and two

4 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

Maybe but remember the Savior himself could not convince most so do not go nuts with optimism about what we could do.

I don’t think it was the saviors purpose to convince most. He left in much of that to his disciples. His earthly ministry was focused on training the disciples who would run the church after him and on the atonement.

I don’t know what we can do, but I think we can do more than we are. I feel like I can 

1 minute ago, The Nehor said:

Yeah, but I am pretty awful at missionary work. I did a good job last night shredding all the old documents in the clerk’s office. We all have our strengths.

The Lord has promised to thrash the nations by the Spirit through the weak things of the world. We probably qualify 

5 minutes ago, Avatar4321 said:

I don’t think it was the saviors purpose to convince most. He left in much of that to his disciples. His earthly ministry was focused on training the disciples who would run the church after him and on the atonement.

I don’t know what we can do, but I think we can do more than we are. I feel like I can 

Maybe. We watched a video on Sunday about Jesus giving the parable of  the sower to the people and then he started explaining to the apostles how the people could not understand it but the apostles can......in the same volume of voice he used when preaching. My thought was “Dude, the crowd can hear you. They are still right there.” So maybe that is why he had trouble converting people?

Edited by The Nehor
4 hours ago, The Nehor said:

Go on a mission. 😜

1 hour ago, carbon dioxide said:

In a world that is becoming more wicked, we should not look at numbers to see if we are being effective missionaries.   Noah did not convert many but that does not mean he was not a good missionary.

I do not accept the old standard mormon chestnut that the world is getting more wicked day by day.   Reality just does not support that.  While we are not perfect, right now, this very minute, is the best time to be alive on this planet. This is a much better time than any other time in history.  Hunger is down, disease is down and crime is down.   Here is one example:

The rate of reported violent crime has fallen since a high of 758.20 reported crimes in 1991 to a low of 361.6 reported violent crimes in 2014. 

https://www.statista.com/statistics/191219/reported-violent-crime-rate-in-the-usa-since-1990/

It is true that more and more people are finding religion, including Mormonism, unattractive.  It is also true  that more people have become more inclusive and have shown increased support of basic civil human rights. This however, does does not equate to wickedness.