Seriously No Politics ×

JS Translation

emeliza

I had heard it and was wondering if a faith promoting rumor or not:

Found this, has the video:

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/12/08/569385769/pope-francis-suggests-changing-the-words-to-lord-s-prayer

From Em's link which is more detailed:

The Italian bishops’ television channel, TV2000, has been broadcasting a series of conversations between the pope and a Catholic prison chaplain looking at the Lord’s Prayer line by line. The episode broadcast Dec. 6 focused on the line, “Lead us not into temptation.”

The line is found in both the Gospel of Luke and the Gospel of Matthew. Thomas Stegman, S.J., a Biblical scholar at Boston College, says the original Greek is the same in both cases.  

The Greek verb for lead is “eisphero” and the original Greek word for testing or temptation is “peirasmos."

“One consideration is: how to understand peirasmos?” Father Stegman said by email. “It can refer to testing (in the sense of determining one's character) or to tempting (in the sense of enticing one to sin).”

Father Stegman pointed out that Biblical scholar Daniel J. Harrington, S.J., in Sacra Pagina, “proposes the petition refers to ‘the final, eschatological testing through which all must pass.’ He refers to the notion of God as one who tests or tries as found in passages such as Pss 11:5 and 26:2.

“However, if one understands peirasmos as enticement to sin, then the pope's recommendation, in my opinion, is not only theologically sound but also exegetically defensible,” Father Stegman said.

Edited by Calm
13 hours ago, emeliza said:

If you look at JS's translation it says, "And suffer us not to be led into temptation, but deliver us from evil."

I thought it was cool that the Pope Francis is seeing something that Joseph Smith saw before and it gives credit to the JS Translation.

There is zero textual evidence that support the JST.