Seriously No Politics ×

Deseret Book to phase out books with ‘Mormon’ or ‘LDS’ in titles

JAHS

Customers at Deseret Book stores soon will see fewer offerings with the words “Mormon” and “LDS” in the title.

The bookstore chain and publishing company — owned by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints' Deseret Management Corp. — says going forward it plans to publish only titles that meet the faith’s new naming guidelines.

“I don’t want to say we will never do anything with ‘LDS’ or ‘Mormon’ in it,” Laurel Day, Deseret Book’s vice president for product and branding, said Wednesday, "but we are committed to following the guidelines and respecting what is being asked of us.”
Day said Deseret Book does not plan to pull titles off the shelves, but, as current stock runs out, “we will look at it and see if a new title is appropriate.”
Deseret Book to phase out books with ‘Mormon’ or ‘LDS’ in titles

Brother McConkie is rolling in his grave about now. What could happen to the title of his "Mormon Doctrine" book?  

10 minutes ago, JAHS said:

Brother McConkie is rolling in his grave about now. What could happen to the title of his "Mormon Doctrine" book? 

When the revelation on the priesthood came allowing ordination to all worthy males Elder McConkie seemed perfectly willing to change his position on that.  I don't imagine he'd have much trouble with the title of his book being changed.

15 minutes ago, JAHS said:

Is the book even still in print?

I was thinking about writing a book to have the title: "How to Become a Mormon, and Why You Should Consider Doing It!"

I guess that's out, now.

6 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

One of my Mission President used to say when referencing that book: “In Mormon Doctrine, which is not Doctrine, it says.......”

Maybe this whole name change was secretly designed to discredit that book. ;) 

At the time it was popular he got more things right in it than were wrong and it was a good comprehensive resource. 
But since as a church we are growing and learning things line upon line it makes sense that some concepts and principles are going to change or be better clarified and understood over time.
To his credit when he later found something he said to be wrong he admitted it and/or made corrections. 

3 minutes ago, Thinking said:

Will the Church change its website addresses?

www.mormon.org

www.lds.org

I think this has been discussed to death already, don't you?

I don't think we need to completely phase out "LDS" to be true to the D&C declaration that the Church shall be known as, "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints." The "of Latter-day Saints," phrase is merely meant to differentiate the Church of Jesus Christ of today from the Church at its founding. The phrase "of LDS," can do that, as long as you leave, "The Church of Jesus Christ," in place. Why not, "The Church of Jesus Christ of LDS," for short, so people associate _The Church of Jesus Christ_ with _LDS_, which is really the whole point? Less confusing for outsiders. Once people remember the _Jesus Christ_ part, the essential part, then we can explain that LDS means "Latter-day Saints." Priorities. One thing at at time. Otherwise, people will be very confused, and we will sound very long winded.