Seriously No Politics ×

...That it will Strengthen and and Nourish our bodies

Bernard Gui

32 minutes ago, Bernard Gui said:

A new take on the iconic LDS blessing on the food from one of our young men in the benediction of our ward Christmas party last night....Sister Gui and I are still laughing.

Bless the food we just ate that nothing bad will happen to us or anything.”

I feel that way everytime we go to a Church Potluck!

19 minutes ago, Traela said:

That's...actually a good blessing.  Last night at our ward party, our cousin, who has escaped death an absolutely ridiculous number of times, told of the time he was asked to make hot cider for his ward party.  Looking for a large-enough container, he settled on a galvanized steel tub.  Partway through the party, he noticed stuff floating.  Consulted with the bishop.  A somewhat panicked call to Poison Control revealed that anyone who had drunk the cider needed to get to the hospital NOW to be checked for zinc poisoning.  Cousin got to make the announcement.  "You never saw a cultural hall empty out that fast!"  Everyone was eventually ok.

Sister Gui once contracted a serious and highly contagious disease that manifested itself a few days after she served salad at a ward potluck. The next Sunday everyone who ate at the dinner lined up in the cultural hall for Health Department shots.

1 hour ago, Bernard Gui said:

A new take on the iconic LDS blessing on the food from one of our young men in the benediction of our ward Christmas party last night....Sister Gui and I are still laughing.

I love this...this young man is just telling it like it is ,😋  Can we even imagine what his personal prayers may sound like.

1 hour ago, Bernard Gui said:

Many years ago at BYU we had a large contingent of Jewish scholars as guests for a symposium, and we were about to bless the food at a dinner prepared for them and the rest of us, when one of the Jewish scholars pointed out that Jews do not bless the food, but instead bless God for providing the food, and he went ahead and said the Hebrew blessing, which in English translation goes something like this:

Blessed art thou O Lord our God, King of the Universe, who brings forth food from the earth.

Blessed art thou O Lord our God, King of the Universe, creator of the fruit of the vine.

47 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

I was on the commitee for our Ward Christmas Party, and we did a breakfast. So far so good, no outbreaks, btw, I love the ward, people are very down to earth and very friendly. 

Excellent! Merry Christmas!

I just love the cold hot dogs at the ward barbecue.   I also got a slice of pumpkin pie at the barbecue.   Upon trying to eat it, I discovered it was still frozen since it had never been cooked.     It is best to eat before you go to a church dinner just in case.

2 hours ago, The Nehor said:

To be fair I did mess up a few pancakes. In my defense the spatula was too big.

A spatula can never be too big.

18 hours ago, Jeanne said:

Breakfast!!  That is the way to go....how many ways can you mess up toast???

Clearly you do not attend my ward here in AZ. Since moving here,  I cannot make food for ward activities or members. I have thrown so much food away because of it that I do not do anything for church things unless I have bought it. 

It's not a matter of temperature or elevation. I can't tell you what the problem is.   And it is only church things. 

First example: I have 2 Instant Pots. One day I tossed in food for my family in one and for compassionate service in the other. Easy recipe. Made it a number of times. Well, I go to check on it and I have not turned on the other family's cooker. For 8 hours it has stayed there in a raw state. 

Just take our family's food over right? No, their Tongan family is twice the size of ours and has teen boys. There is never going to be enough. So I called in a Chinese takeout order and picked it up on the way. That was expensive!

Oddly,  I have never once had a problem cooking meals for arriving refugee families. Just church. I figure this must  mean that other ward members can take care of the ward things. 

46 minutes ago, Rain said:

Clearly you do not attend my ward here in AZ. Since moving here,  I cannot make food for ward activities or members. I have thrown so much food away because of it that I do not do anything for church things unless I have bought it. 

It's not a matter of temperature or elevation. I can't tell you what the problem is.   And it is only church things. 

First example: I have 2 Instant Pots. One day I tossed in food for my family in one and for compassionate service in the other. Easy recipe. Made it a number of times. Well, I go to check on it and I have not turned on the other family's cooker. For 8 hours it has stayed there in a raw state. 

Just take our family's food over right? No, their Tongan family is twice the size of ours and has teen boys. There is never going to be enough. So I called in a Chinese takeout order and picked it up on the way. That was expensive!

Oddly,  I have never once had a problem cooking meals for arriving refugee families. Just church. I figure this must  mean that other ward members can take care of the ward things. 

Maybe God is answering their prayers. Bless the food we might eat that nothing bad will happen to us or anything.”

1 hour ago, Rain said:

That is crazy!!!☺️

On 12/15/2018 at 12:30 PM, Tacenda said:

I was on the commitee for our Ward Christmas Party, and we did a breakfast. So far so good, no outbreaks, btw, I love the ward, people are very down to earth and very friendly. 

Do you always do a breakfast?  How do people like it?  My ward is considering doing a breakfast next year instead of the traditional dinner.

2 hours ago, ksfisher said:

Do you always do a breakfast?  How do people like it?  My ward is considering doing a breakfast next year instead of the traditional dinner.

No, we always had the parties at night in my old ward, this new ward decided to try the breakfast and I actually enjoyed it. My favorite was Santa visited and the ward was very laid back. My previous ward quit doing Santa and pretty much sucked the life out of anything to do with that part of Christmas. No talent shows or skits either. But back to the breakfast, a very cool thing of the whole morning was when they announced Santa was there and who ever wanted to come sit on his lap to come on up and this older teenage boy with Autism came up and was so excited Santa was there and crawled up on the stage and sat on Santa's lap, just made my day. The excitement and joy on his and the Primary aged kids' faces! 

4 hours ago, ksfisher said:

We have a long tradition of Fourth of July breakfasts. Pancakes, bacon, sausages, donuts, etc. Patriotic music, a kids parade, tribute to veterans, Great activity!

18 hours ago, ksfisher said:

We've done breakfast a few times for the Christmas social, usually turns out OK.

Having taught Food Service Sanitation, I just cringe when people bring food from home to share. I've been in some of those homes as a Home Teacher (now minister) 

43 minutes ago, mnn727 said:

We've done breakfast a few times for the Christmas social, usually turns out OK.

Having taught Food Service Sanitation, I just cringe when people bring food from home to share. I've been in some of those homes as a Home Teacher (now minister) 

It is why we live longer. We get heavy sporadic doses of this stuff to beef up the immune system. :)