Seriously No Politics ×

What is your opinion about the similarity of the teachings of Joseph Smith and Mormonism and Emmanuel Swedenborg?

unio

I can't remember when or how a few years ago I came across reading some Swedenborg, and I was like, "Heeeeey, this sounds familiar!"  Ha ha.  But at this point, I couldn't even tell you what it was (concept or principle) that did that for me or what it was I was reading (it was online).  It was a little bit of disruption for me, in a good way.  But I haven't gone deep into it, nor kept up with it (reading Swedenborg), so I can't say much more.

When I read Swedenborgs stuff (in response to allegations that JS just copied it), I saw the similarities, but didn't see it as anything more than, being close to God gets you inspiration.   If something is truth, gospel, then it is not just likely, but mandatory that asking the same questions will get you the same answer from Him.

11 hours ago, unio said:

I read Swedenborg's books and I liked them. I recently read this article. Its author writes that he is an active Mormon and he compares the essence of these teachings. Tell your opinion about this article."Emanuel Swedenborg and Mormonism"

This is very important to me, because I would like to find like-minded people.

There is a better presentation of the Miller article online at http://craigwmiller.tripod.com/interest.htm .  He probably wrote this around 2002, since he was already making Sunstone podcasts about it in 1998 and 2002.

Swedenborg fits into the European Renaissance world of Hermetic thought common among the magi of that Renaissance.  Joseph Smith has much in common with that Renaissance world of Hermetic thought, which is all the more interesting now that we know the Book of Mormon itself was rendered in English during that same early period several centuries before Joseph was born.

The basic meaning I understood is that God is the Word and the Word has an inner meaning. This meaning is secret and God reveals it to those believers who love the truth, have mercy and do good. Because truth and mercy are the essence of God.

Is this consistent with the teachings of the Mormon religion and what is its essence?

19 minutes ago, unio said:

The basic meaning I understood is that God is the Word and the Word has an inner meaning. This meaning is secret and God reveals it to those believers who love the truth, have mercy and do good. Because truth and mercy are the essence of God.

Is this consistent with the teachings of the Mormon religion and what is its essence?

Mercy and truth are pretty good for a start.  Most people don't even know what an "essence" might be, much less what its practical application might mean.  Mormon religion is based on universality and humanism in application of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, which is likewise not something which most people (including most Mormons) would think or say.  That is because Mormon religion is not an abstract set of rules or definitions so much as a way of life (belief in action).  One can step back and describe it according to the principles of social anthropology, which means that it can be described as praxis more than theory or doctrine.  There is not, in any case, a systematic theology of Mormonism available, though some have attempted to outline what Mormon theology might be (Sterling McMurrin, Blake Ostler, Terryl Givens, Charles Harrell, and many others).

A few years ago, I met some guys from the local LDS church in my town, and they gave me a book of Mormon, which I read all over. Before that, I had already read the synodal Bible and believed in the Lord God Jesus Christ. I liked the Book of Mormon as another testimony of the Lord Christ and His church.
But then and now I could not understand the essence of the teachings of the Book of Mormon and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The guys I met (they came to my house twice) did not speak Russian very well, and I didn’t speak English well, so I wasn’t interested then in further study.
After that, I became acquainted with some of the books of Swedenborg, which were translated into Russian.
In my city I did not find those who read the books of Swedenborg and I have no one to talk with about spiritual things.
As far as I know, other confessions and denominations have a different interpretation of the Bible. Many do not understand and reject the books of Swedenborg and call them heresy.
After this article, I again remembered that meeting with the Mormons and wanted to meet them again. I thought that in their church it would be difficult for me to get their opinion on this article and I decided that at first it would be easier for me to find out about it here in the Mormon forum.

Do you think that if a person agrees with the views of Swedenborg, it will be easy for him to understand and live according to the religion of the Mormons?

On 12/15/2018 at 7:47 PM, unio said:

A few years ago, I met some guys from the local LDS church in my town, and they gave me a book of Mormon, which I read all over. Before that, I had already read the synodal Bible and believed in the Lord God Jesus Christ. I liked the Book of Mormon as another testimony of the Lord Christ and His church.
But then and now I could not understand the essence of the teachings of the Book of Mormon and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The guys I met (they came to my house twice) did not speak Russian very well, and I didn’t speak English well, so I wasn’t interested then in further study.
After that, I became acquainted with some of the books of Swedenborg, which were translated into Russian.
In my city I did not find those who read the books of Swedenborg and I have no one to talk with about spiritual things.
As far as I know, other confessions and denominations have a different interpretation of the Bible. Many do not understand and reject the books of Swedenborg and call them heresy.
After this article, I again remembered that meeting with the Mormons and wanted to meet them again. I thought that in their church it would be difficult for me to get their opinion on this article and I decided that at first it would be easier for me to find out about it here in the Mormon forum.

Do you think that if a person agrees with the views of Swedenborg, it will be easy for him to understand and live according to the religion of the Mormons?

Probably but while there are similarities it is not a one to one comparison. You can contact the missionaries again and hope to get more fluent ones. Or you seem to be pretty fluent in English.