Seriously No Politics ×

Why don’t we move tithing settlement to January

3 hours ago, alter idem said:

It's an opportunity to make an accounting before the lord's representative,  such as in the new testament account of Peter,  ananias and saphira. I think that counts for 'scriptural '. Hopefully most tithing settlements don't go so poorly. 

I was wondering the same thing - if we (I) need it. But you bring up a good point.  Should we have an accounting for other commandments as well?

Annual word of wisdom settlement (for example)?

4 hours ago, ksfisher said:

Bishops were instructed to begin tithing settlement on 10/14 this year.  In my ward the majority of the people who would come in did so by the end of November (this includes both a week long business trip and a Thanksgiving week vacation for the bishop).

In my experience it's not the bishop who puts things off, but members who put off coming in until the end of December.

We've tried both asking people to sign up, as well as having the exec sec set appointments.  In both cases there are people who keep putting things off.

I agree. Our bishop and EXSEC worked hard to get us in. Seven outreaches until we finally relented and scheduled something!  It just is not a priority for me or my family.

Is the bishop measured by the SP by how many tithing settlements he holds?

6 minutes ago, SouthernMo said:

I agree. Our bishop and EXSEC worked hard to get us in. Seven outreaches until we finally relented and scheduled something!  It just is not a priority for me or my family.

No, but he is required to give a declaration for every person in the ward. So if a person doesn't declare for themselves, he will declare for them using his best judgement.

27 minutes ago, SouthernMo said:

No, it sounds to me likes he's reaching out because he cares for you and your family.

1 hour ago, Jeanne said:

Horrible for giving people to pay for being righteous.

Our Father in Heaven promises to give those who are obedient to His commandments and are cleansed through faith in His Son all that He has.  I don't think it's too much for Him to ask for us to give 10% of what we earn in this life to His church to further His work.  I also don't think it's too much to ask that those who expecting to enter the most sacred places on this earth to be obedient to this commandment.

1 hour ago, Jeanne said:

There you go.....a new change for conference...due away with tithing settlement...it is between you and God anyway and in my opinion..(which is probably not good of course)....so away with tithing  in Temple recommends.  Horrible for giving people to pay for being righteous.

I see obedience to tithing in the same vein as I see obedience to other commandments, including loving one's neighbor, selfless service, honoring the Sabbath, keeping the Law of Chastity, and so on.

"Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to hearken than the fat of rams."  (1 Sam 15:22)

"Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven."  (Matt. 7:21)

"If ye love me, keep my commandments."  (John 14:15)

I cannot disparage obedience to God as something that is "horrible."  I just can't.

Thanks,

-Smac

1 hour ago, SouthernMo said:

I was wondering the same thing - if we (I) need it. But you bring up a good point.  Should we have an accounting for other commandments as well?

Annual word of wisdom settlement (for example)?

It has always struck me as unusual that we need to declare our obedience/status to the Bishop for the commandment of paying tithing, but we aren't asked to declare our obedience/status for the greatest commandment, nor the second (Matt 22:36-40), nor any of the commandments that can lead one to outer darkness (denying the holy ghost, murder?).  I'm sure that church leaders in the latter days have a good reason for treating tithing differently than the other commandments, I just don't know what it is.  

30 minutes ago, Thinking said:

Perhaps members with current temple recommends could be exempt from tithing settlement because they have already declared themselves to be full tithe payers in the TR interview. It would save a lot of time for a lot of people.

To save time our bishop has actually told known active tithe-paying members to not take up the appointment slots at tithing settlement. He would just ask them in the hallway at church or in an email or call them about it.

6 hours ago, Amulek said:

Our bishop rather enjoys tithing settlement. It gives him a chance to visit briefly with pretty much everyone in the ward, and it's a good way for him to get a sense of familys' needs around the holidays. 

We don't do anything with actual financial statements either. No print outs; no nothing. You just come in, visit with the bishop for a couple of minutes, and declare your tithing status. 

Easy peasy. 

We do print out a year to date statement to give members at tithing settlement and by doing so have caught a few mistakes that we were able to correct.
At the same time we also print out the Household membership records for them to check for mistakes or corrections. 

1 hour ago, ksfisher said:

Our Father in Heaven promises to give those who are obedient to His commandments and are cleansed through faith in His Son all that He has.  I don't think it's too much for Him to ask for us to give 10% of what we earn in this life to His church to further His work.  I also don't think it's too much to ask that those who expecting to enter the most sacred places on this earth to be obedient to this commandment.

It is not too much to ask...we should be a giving people....but what we give is between us and God.  I can see that you would look at it differently...and I used to..that serving God in tithes is beneficial to the welfare of the church.  I understand how you feel...I just have this thing were after so many years, I want to say "none of your business"  (which I would never do)..🤤 Besides, I like to know where my money goes...or the Lord's money goes..so that I can serve in the best way.

Edited by Jeanne
6 hours ago, hope_for_things said:

Ananias and Saphira had tithing settlements with Peter?  I'm not familiar with the story, maybe you can enlighten me?  

Also, I thought Joseph typically got very specific instructions for which ancient commandments needed to be restored in the modern church.  Why no D&C revelation?  

You think it was a tithing settlement?  I don't think it was a tithing settlement like what we have today, I doubt Peter had a bowl of candy on his desk.  What I was referring to was how Ananias and Saphirra came to Peter to  make an accounting of a donation they'd made-in our day, we meet with the Bishop once a year to in essence, make an accounting of our donations.  I thought it was a scriptural account of the how even in ancient times, the members recognized the role of their leaders in this matter.  Maybe go read it and see what you think.

I could search around in the D&C for a revelation, and you do bring up a good suggestion to search--there probably is something there, but I've always felt it is best for the person asking to do the research--they are more likely to consider their own findings than what other people present.

My own opinion is that tithing settlement doesn't have to be done the way it is, and changes certainly can be made.  They could do away with it if they wanted to, but I do think it is a good way for us to make an accounting of how we are doing at fulfilling the commandment to pay our tithes, so I suspect it will remain, but changes might be made.  With so much done online now, it certainly could change. 

4 hours ago, hoo rider said:

It has always struck me as unusual that we need to declare our obedience/status to the Bishop for the commandment of paying tithing, but we aren't asked to declare our obedience/status for the greatest commandment, nor the second (Matt 22:36-40), nor any of the commandments that can lead one to outer darkness (denying the holy ghost, murder?).  I'm sure that church leaders in the latter days have a good reason for treating tithing differently than the other commandments, I just don't know what it is.  

I disagree. 

8 Do you strive to keep the covenants you have made, to attend your sacrament and other meetings, and to keep your life in harmony with the laws and commandments of the gospel?

9 Are you honest in your dealings with your fellowmen?

And then the final question about being worthy.

3 hours ago, JAHS said:

We do print out a year to date statement to give members at tithing settlement and by doing so have caught a few mistakes that we were able to correct.
At the same time we also print out the Household membership records for them to check for mistakes or corrections. 

This is what my ward has done as well.

4 hours ago, hoo rider said:

I'm sure that church leaders in the latter days have a good reason for treating tithing differently than the other commandments, I just don't know what it is.  

Being faithful in the payment of tithes seems to function as a proxy for faithfulness in general. We are in the process of making boundary changes in our stake. The formulas used for determining what area can function as a ward rely upon the number of full-tithe-paying Melchizedek holders. It is essential to know this information in order to proceed.

13 hours ago, Calm said:

I disagree. 

And then the final question about being worthy.

Fair enough.  Let me put a finer point on it.  I don't understand why a bishopric member asks about my tithe paying obedience/status 3 times every 2 years, while I am never asked specifically about the greatest commandment, nor the second, nor the outer darkness sins, and am only asked about obedience to other commandments once every 2 years.  Perhaps the commandment of tithing is 3 times more important than the other commandments?

I comply with the practice and expect to be blessed for my obedience, but that doesn't mean I understand the "why" behind the practice and the "why" behind tithing being treated differently compared to the other commandments.  

Edited by hoo rider