Seriously No Politics ×

Can Angels Eat?

While doing my scripture reading this morning, I came across the passages in Genesis 18 and 19 about the angels visiting Abraham. Abraham brought them bread and in the next chapter invited them into his home and the angels feasted with him. This being before the resurrection of the Lord. I wondered what are the physical abilities of angels? I also thought of the story of the Brother of Jared where the Lord touched the 16 stones.

What are the abilities of angels before they were resurrected? Joseph Smith said (I'm paraphrasing here); they will not deceive you by taking your hand (since they have not a physical body,yet). Additionally, no one was resurrected before the Lord. We know that post-resurrection bodies have the ability to eat (but I don't know if it is necessary). We know this because the resurrected Lord asked for food when he was with the Apostles (see Luke 24).  The Lord also showed His Apostles his scars in his hands, feet, and side. 

Can resurrected bodies:

• Eat?
  • Sleep, become tired?
  • Show scars of our human life?

Can un-resurrected, but not yet born bodies do the same?

I think, that in case of the Lord, He showed His scars for proof of who he was, but He did not need to eat for proof. Just interested in your ideas, mostly about unresurrected humans such as angels. What are their capabilities? What are their limitations?

Thanks for the discussion. 

Edited by Anijen
2 minutes ago, JAHS said:

Geneally speaking angels in spirit form would not need to nor would they be able to eat, having no body to process the food. The angels that visited Abraham would not have been resurrected because Jesus had no been resurrected yet.  They could have been translated beings which will still have bodies and therefore be able to eat. 

I knew they were not resurrected yet. However, your comments on them perhaps being translated beings is very interesting and raises even more questions. Do we know of any translated beings this early? I guess the residents of the City of Enoch, could they all be translated? Hmmm.

55 minutes ago, Anijen said:

I knew they were not resurrected yet. However, your comments on them perhaps being translated beings is very interesting and raises even more questions. Do we know of any translated beings this early? I guess the residents of the City of Enoch, could they all be translated? Hmmm.

The residents of the City of Enoch were all translated.

1 hour ago, Anijen said:

While doing my scripture reading this morning, I came across the passages in Genesis 18 and 19 about the angels visiting Abraham. Abraham brought them bread and in the next chapter invited them into his home and the angels feasted with him. This being before the resurrection of the Lord. I wondered what are the physical abilities of angels? I also thought of the story of the Brother of Jared where the Lord touched the 16 stones.

What are the abilities of angels before they were resurrected? Joseph Smith said (I'm paraphrasing here); they will not deceive you by taking your hand (since they have not a physical body,yet). Additionally, no one was resurrected before the Lord. We know that post-resurrection bodies have the ability to eat (but I don't know if it is necessary). We know this because the resurrected Lord asked for food when he was with the Apostles (see Luke 24).  The Lord also showed His Apostles his scars in his hands, feet, and side. 

Can resurrected bodies:

• Eat?
  • Sleep, become tired?

I think, that in case of the Lord, He showed His scars for proof of who he was, but He did not need to eat for proof. Just interested in your ideas, mostly about unresurrected humans such as angels. What are their capabilities? What are their limitations?

Thanks for the discussion. 

I used to be confused about angel food cake.

No, they just argue all day with the guy who took their place to sit on the pinhead.

1 hour ago, phaedrus ut said:

If angels eat that means there are heavenly bathrooms? 

Yes and the pipes run straight down to hell.  :)

4 hours ago, Anijen said:

Moses was translated (I know not that early) and appeared to Christ on the mount of transfiguration as was Elijah. That early the city of Enoch are the only ones I know of.  Angel just means messenger. Sometimes they are in their spiritual form, and sometimes they are fully physical, and can eat, etc, as the NT shows us. The idea that angels are some other form of created being is a completely sectarian notion stemming from God creating the heavens - earthly sky.

29 minutes ago, bluebell said:
55 minutes ago, Doctrine 612 said:

I think they were messengers or holy men

I'm with Doctrine 612.  I don't think they were angels as we interpret the word.  I think they were just men, but sent by God.

I agree that this is also a possibility.

7 hours ago, Anijen said:

While doing my scripture reading this morning, I came across the passages in Genesis 18 and 19 about the angels visiting Abraham. Abraham brought them bread and in the next chapter invited them into his home and the angels feasted with him. This being before the resurrection of the Lord. ..................................

Can resurrected bodies:

• Eat?
  • Sleep, become tired?

In Gen 18 - 19, the three men are specifically the Lord and two of his angels (YHWH [18:1,13-14, 17-33] and Adonay [18:3,27], the honorific title of the Lord; the mal'akim "angels, messengers" [19:1,15]).  Abraham prepares a great feast for them and they eat it.  Then, while Abe debates with the Lord whether Sodom should be destroyed, the two angels go to Sodom and destroy it (after Lot & family escape).  Debate about whether the Lord and his angels can eat is settled by this encounter.  The resurrected Jesus also eats several times with his disciples.

I think, that in case of the Lord, He showed His scars for proof of who he was, but He did not need to eat for proof. Just interested in your ideas, mostly about unresurrected humans such as angels. What are their capabilities? What are their limitations?.......................

We need to read the Scriptural texts and base our judgments on what we find there.

Edited by Robert F. Smith
7 hours ago, Anijen said:

Additionally, no one was resurrected before the Lord.

Also, this is not strictly the case.  For example, the Father has a body.  So this resurrection stuff has been in business for a long time.  I know we normally say that only those persons who are relevant to this earth are ministering here (and thus the way of thinking before-and-after Jesus' resurrection), but what does that mean?  Who is relevant?  Anyway--there are likely more beings in the multi-metaverse that have bodies than those that don't, just my opinion.

9 hours ago, Nofear said:

A related question: do resurrected bodies have vestigial body parts? While not one hair on my head will be lost, what about my coccyx?

I imagine it depends on if you want them.

You can eat.

You can sleep but it is not mandatory.

You can have whatever scars you want.

Asking what is allowed of the exalted misses the point. If you are exalted you can do what you choose, all decisions will be righteous because that is who you are at that point but restrictions and limitations outside of that? Why? We need strict rules in mortality because everything is so dangerous and tends towards sin but we will be past that. The primary motivation in decisions is what will make you and others happy. As Lewis said: “Joy is the serious business of heaven”.

11 hours ago, The Nehor said:

I imagine it depends on if you want them.

You can eat.

You can sleep but it is not mandatory.

You can have whatever scars you want.

Asking what is allowed of the exalted misses the point. If you are exalted you can do what you choose, all decisions will be righteous because that is who you are at that point but restrictions and limitations outside of that? Why? We need strict rules in mortality because everything is so dangerous and tends towards sin but we will be past that. The primary motivation in decisions is what will make you and others happy. As Lewis said: “Joy is the serious business of heaven”.

👍

And there will only be what "church" we decide our children need.

19 hours ago, Maidservant said:

Also, this is not strictly the case.  For example, the Father has a body.  So this resurrection stuff has been in business for a long time.  I know we normally say that only those persons who are relevant to this earth are ministering here (and thus the way of thinking before-and-after Jesus' resurrection), but what does that mean?  Who is relevant?  Anyway--there are likely more beings in the multi-metaverse that have bodies than those that don't, just my opinion.

And also time has to be relative to the universe I would imagine.  Space-time.

Different space, different time I would think.

Remember the movie "Land Before Time"?  I had a discussion with the guy who made that movie - Don Bluth-  who is LDS - on the idea that time itself is a human construct due to our experiencing things that happen sequentially.  There are no words even to express the concept that do not have time built into them.   We have no clue what it would be like to experience an eternal present- which some believe is the way God experiences things

It might be said that dinosaurs existed "before time" in some sense- and I think that was the reason for the title of the movie

But of course even saying that is self-contradictory because then there was no "before" so nothing could be "before" time.  ;)

Aint logic grand?  ;)

On 11/12/2018 at 9:37 AM, JAHS said:

Geneally speaking angels in spirit form would not need to nor would they be able to eat, having no body to process the food. The angels that visited Abraham would not have been resurrected because Jesus had no been resurrected yet.  They could have been translated beings which will still have bodies and therefore be able to eat. 

Do you have any sources for this, or is this just an amalgam of your understanding?

1 hour ago, SouthernMo said:
On 11/12/2018 at 6:37 AM, JAHS said:

Generally speaking angels in spirit form would not need to nor would they be able to eat, having no body to process the food. The angels that visited Abraham would not have been resurrected because Jesus had no been resurrected yet.  They could have been translated beings which will still have bodies and therefore be able to eat. 

Do you have any sources for this, or is this just an amalgam of your understanding?

Logical conclusions based on my understanding of the scriptures:
When Jesus appeared to the Apostles as a resurrected being he ate some food to prove to them he was not just a spirit. (Luke 24: 37-43)
I don't know if translated beings need to eat or not but since they do still have bodies I assume they can eat if they want. 

2 hours ago, mfbukowski said:

And also time has to be relative to the universe I would imagine.  Space-time.

Different space, different time I would think.

Remember the movie "Land Before Time"?  I had a discussion with the guy who made that movie - Don Bluth-  who is LDS - on the idea that time itself is a human construct due to our experiencing things that happen sequentially.  There are no words even to express the concept that do not have time built into them.   We have no clue what it would be like to experience an eternal present- which some believe is the way God experiences things

It might be said that dinosaurs existed "before time" in some sense- and I think that was the reason for the title of the movie

But of course even saying that is self-contradictory because then there was no "before" so nothing could be "before" time.  ;)

Aint logic grand?  ;)

Well, that explains how Littlefoot and his friends stay the same age after all this apparent time to us.