Diagnosed with cancer on Tuesday

readstoomuch

Daughters back as I said on another thread.  She had a great experience but her medication puts her at risk.  By showing faith that it was ok to send her out even though I have cancer it worked out.  Every one is a winner.  Now business is totally messed up.  Hoping all those people I employ will be ok.  

• Like 2
  • 4 months later...

That's the unfortunate thing about our current situation.  It's not as easy in my own little world of confinement to be aware of those who are in need of ministering and support.  Thanks for the wake up call.  I will keep you in my prayers.

Many hugs to you.  Share your pain and thoughts with others in family/friends.  Believe me...there is not anything useful we feel we can do.  i  think or you often.  I am glad you let your son  know and hope that all other ills subside while you take time to reflect and heal all parts of your life.  I care about you. 

On 12/21/2018 at 12:48 AM, Okrahomer said:

One cancer survivor to another:  

I understand your initial desire to have a “stiff upper lip” and keep this quiet; but when it happened to me a couple of years ago, I soon realized that I could not go through the experience without telling everyone I love “the truth”—including my Bishop, my children, my siblings, my boss, my colleagues, and all of my friends.  Staying quiet created a kind of dysfunction in all of my relationships that I did not need while I was working so hard to be healed.

And when my Bishop asked for permission to include our entire ward in a fast on my behalf, we humbly consented and invited all of our family and friends (even the non-believers) to join us.  It proved to be a sanctifying experience that changed us in ways we had never imagined.  (C.S. Lewis was right!)

IMHO, you should not exclude anyone you love from that opportunity.

I do understand your perspective and agree with it to a point, but it is an individual thing. Not everyone wants to be the center of attention in matters of such import. Some feel very uncomfortable with it. Sharing something like this here, where one is usually anonymous, doesn't feel like "going public", and so may be an option for those of a more private bent.

Another point: some people have relatives with whom one does not want to provide with such information, for one reason or another.

• Like 1

I think the challenge for me is that my cancer is slow.  Apparently I have already had it for 3.5 years.  Statistics say I should have another 8.5 years.  The oncologist thinks it will be longer than that with new treatments.  When you tell people they start treating you differently.  They don't think you will be around very much longer.  If I had a serious cancer I would definitely tell more people and get them involved.  Cancer is unique to the person and situation, so there will never be a one size fits all.  

• Like 2
On 7/27/2020 at 9:02 AM, Jeanne said:

Many hugs to you.  Share your pain and thoughts with others in family/friends.  Believe me...there is not anything useful we feel we can do.  i  think or you often.  I am glad you let your son  know and hope that all other ills subside while you take time to reflect and heal all parts of your life.  I care about you. 

Thanks for the kind words.  This was very supportive.  

I hope that overall, I should be encouraged by your latest update.  (Please let me know if I misread anything. :o)  I'm glad to hear that things are going as well as can be expected in these trying times.  I wish you well. :)