Seriously No Politics ×

Is it time to end Testimony meetings?

1 minute ago, rongo said:

With the balance of time in the F&T meeting, and I kid you not, 20 kids ran up to the stand to get in line, with their parents beaming at them like they hadn't heard anything. It was worse than before. 

I swear some of you live in a parallel universe. We have the opposite problem here. If a Church leader corrects us, everyone starts adding on to it to make it even stricter, and then the leader has to rein that in ... :blink:

2 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

Looked it up, ward does not exist anymore. Merged into another ward that I heard good things about though I never served there.

Thank heaven! Hopefully the members there are now actually enjoying many of the blessings that the Lord intends for His disciples ...

On 10/15/2018 at 11:59 PM, ksfisher said:

A bit too long. 😊

A lot of people seem to loose track of time easily when they're at the pulpit.

That's why, with 10 minutes less time in our sacrament meetings come the first of the year, there's going to have to be some concerted effort to get speakers to be conscious of the time.

10 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

What we have experienced thus far is nowhere near the problems there could be in the future. For my part, being forced to endure one hostile or antagonistic tirade or scolding from the pulpit would be one too many to suit me. 

Heck, if someone attempts to hijack the meeting, let's simply have a prearranged signal from the bishop to the ward's music personnel that the congregation will be led in a specific hymn.  Call it the emergency hymn or the contingency hymn: "Today's contingency hymn will be How Firm a Foundation ... all seven verses, if necessary!" :D :rofl: *

* The "Contingency Hymn" tactic, though not preplanned on that occasion, worked pretty well to distract Mr. Judy.  Yet another reminder of why President Howard W. Hunter, despite the fact that we're not supposed to have favorites among the Brethren, nonetheless, was one of my favorites.  That, ad the time when he fell at the pulpit in General Conference, was helped back onto his feet, and continued his address without skipping a beat (even though he'd broken a couple of ribs; I've never done it, but I've talked to those who have and who have had similar ailments ... such as pulled rib muscles ... and the first words out of my mouth if I were to suffer something like that would be, "I want my mommy!" :( :D).

On February 7, 1993, President Hunter went to Brigham Young University to speak at a fireside that was attended by 17,000 people. He was just beginning his address when a man rushed onto the stand, carrying a briefcase in one hand and a black object in the other. “Stop right there!” the man shouted. He threatened to detonate what he claimed was a bomb unless President Hunter read a prepared statement. President Hunter refused and stood resolutely at the pulpit the entire time the man was threatening him. As fear and commotion spread through the building, the audience began to sing “We Thank Thee, O God, for a Prophet.” After a few minutes of suspense, two security personnel restrained the man, and President Hunter was lowered to the floor for safety. When order was restored, he rested briefly and then continued with his remarks. “Life has a fair number of challenges in it,” he began, and then added, “as demonstrated.”91  

"Life has a fair number of challenges ... as demonstrated."  A sermon in action.  Love it!  And oh, by the way, "Bomb" = "BOM" = "Book of Mormon."  Mr. Judy was still trying to sell that load of bushwhah as recently as a few years ago. 

Edited by Kenngo1969
6 hours ago, Kenngo1969 said:

Heck, if someone attempts to hijack the meeting, let's simply have a prearranged signal from the bishop to the ward's music personnel that the congregation will be led in a specific hymn.  Call it the emergency hymn or the contingency hymn: "Today's contingency hymn will be How Firm a Foundation ... all seven verses, if necessary!" :D :rofl: *

* The "Contingency Hymn" tactic, though not preplanned on that occasion, worked pretty well to distract Mr. Judy.  Yet another reminder of why President Howard W. Hunter, despite the fact that we're not supposed to have favorites among the Brethren, nonetheless, was one of my favorites.  That, ad the time when he fell at the pulpit in General Conference, was helped back onto his feet, and continued his address without skipping a beat (even though he'd broken a couple of ribs; I've never done it, but I've talked to those who have and who have had similar ailments ... such as pulled rib muscles ... and the first words out of my mouth if I were to suffer something like that would be, "I want my mommy!" :( :D).

"Life has a fair number of challenges ... as demonstrated."  A sermon in action.  Love it!  And oh, by the way, "Bomb" = "BOM" = "Book of Mormon."  Mr. Judy was still trying to sell that load of bushwhah as recently as a few years ago. 

If I ran a ward, my prearranged signal for the contingency hymn would be to suddenly cut the mic. That ought to be the first thing to happen anyway. Avoid giving these yahoos even a split second of additional pulpit time. 

—-

Since being paroled in 2004, Cody Judy has been busy: congressional candidate, three-time candidate for U. S. President, and he’s currently running a write-in campaign for U. S. senator from Utah. If you have between $30,000 and $70,000 plus expenses to pay him, he’ll speak at your event. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
30 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Since being paroled in 2004, Cody Judy has been busy: congressional candidate, three-time candidate for U. S. President, and he’s currently running a write-in campaign for U. S. senator from Utah. If you have between $30,000 and $70,000 plus expenses to pay him, he’ll speak at your event. 

Don't let him borrow your cell phone if he's going up to the stand, though . . . =@

My sister was at the devotional where he attempted to hold President Hunter hostage. That was my senior year of high school. 

Edited by rongo
10 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

If I ran a ward, my prearranged signal for the contingency hymn would be to suddenly cut the mic. That ought to be the first thing to happen anyway. Avoid giving these yahoos even a split second of additional pulpit time. 

—-

Wow.  Who knew that there's such a market for Mr. Judy's dulcet-toned, erudite ruminations? :huh: :unknw: (I wonder if he's booked for years out?)

Edited by Kenngo1969
3 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

—-

I presume he still has zero speaking gigs

3 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Wireless mics are likely standard these days.  Cutting the mic might not make a difference....at least in recording the video, which is probably the highest priority for the person.  

Edited by Calm
3 hours ago, Calm said:

Wireless mics are likely standard these days.  Cutting the mic might not make a difference....at least in recording the video, which is probably the highest priority for the person.  

I was thinking in terms of cutting the intruder’s access to public address and thus preserving order and avoiding the need to dismiss the meeting, which I don’t find to be an acceptable solution. If the spectacle consists of him/her trying not to be drowned out by the singing, it might not make as much of a YouTube show. 

Of course there are other ways to disrupt a meeting, but in such instances the problem transcends merely keeping control of the pulpit. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
1 hour ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

How does one do this suddenly?

In our ward (and every modern Church meetinghouse I’ve seen) there is a pedestal located next to the seat where a member of the bishopric sits with a switch that can be used to cut power to the microphone. 

Is this not the case where you live?  Maybe I’m not understanding your question. 

6 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

In our ward (and every modern Church meetinghouse I’ve seen) there is a pedestal located next to the seat where a member of the bishopric sits with a switch that can be used to cut power to the microphone. 

Is this not the case where you live?

Nope. It sounds like you're prepared for such disruptions! Wow!

To switch off the microphone in our chapel would require standing up, going to the pulpit, asking the speaker to step aside, and then reaching for a switch underneath.

Edited by Hamba Tuhan
2 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I was thinking in terms of cutting the intruder’s access to public address and thus preserving order and avoiding the need to dismiss the meeting, which I don’t find to be an acceptable solution. If the spectacle consists of him/her trying not to be drowned out by the singing, it might not make as much of a YouTube show. 

Of course there are other ways to disrupt a meeting, but in such instances the problem transcends merely keeping control of the pulpit. 

Cutting the mic and playing a hymn probably would work, but not cutting the mic on its own, imo.  The first few rows would probably hear easily and others would try...just to have something to do besides sit and wait.

4 minutes ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

Nope. It sounds like you're prepared for such disruptions! To swich off the microphone in our chapel would require standing up, going to the pulpit, asking the speaker to step aside, and then reaching for a switch underneath.

I think they have this option in most American and Canadian wards at least for when the Choir sings or they have a small group and if they left the mic on, it would throw the sound of the music off.  It can easily be adjusted for disruptive moments though.  Possibly also for when they used to pass the mic around the congregation instead of requiring them to go to the front (easier for parents to just stand up as well as older or physically limited individuals), they could shut off the front mic so less interference....but this is just guessing.

Edited by Calm
12 minutes ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

Nope. It sounds like you're prepared for such disruptions! Wow!

To switch off the microphone in our chapel would require standing up, going to the pulpit, asking the speaker to step aside, and then reaching for a switch underneath.

I guess there’s a lot I take for granted. 

I hope we never have anyone attempt to pull one of these shameful stunts in our ward. The video will go viral!

About ten years ago, we had someone wander into one of our sacrament meetings off the street. He walked to the front and started shouting something about there being no God. Within seconds (and without any direction from our bishopric), two 100kg+ men stood up and physically carried the man out. End of problem.

Imagine the shrieks of protest that would be made by Church enemies now!

15 minutes ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

I hope we never have anyone attempt to pull one of these shameful stunts in our ward. The video will go viral!

About ten years ago, we had someone wander into one of our sacrament meetings off the street. He walked to the front and started shouting something about there being no God. Within seconds (and without any direction from our bishopric), two 100kg+ men stood up and physically carried the man out. End of problem.

Imagine the shrieks of protest that would be made by Church enemies now!

Would that we had that kind of fortitude in our American congregations!

What would have happened in your  ward, do you think, had the intruder been a woman? In the two instances that come readily to my mind, the disrupters were female. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd