Seriously No Politics ×

can I ask for some prayer please

We need some good weather along the Big Sur Coast here in California that we might sail home.  we have been here over a week repairing the engine waiting for a proper weather window. The engine has long been repaired and we're ready to go but the weather is not cooperating. We'd like to have a gentle sailing Breeze out of the North or Northwest. I wouldn't mind if we had the motor the whole way either. Thank you in advance.

Your prayers are already working. They have dropped the wind speed from 25 knots to 15 knots, wind waves 2 feet or less. The direction is still south east, we prefer not to sail against the wind in big wind, we did that for 4 thousand miles 5 years ago and we hope to not have to repeat the experience. Our direction of sail will be mostly south east. I get my weather from 3 different sources and they have not been agreeing with each other. Perhaps by Monday things will be clear and we can leave. It's 292 miles to home from here so about a 3 day run, in ideal conditions. The first run is 120 miles to the next port with northwest protection ( skipping a port with a difficult entry), then we have go around the dreaded Point Conception to the Santa Barbara Channel and we will be sailing east to south east. Thank you for your prayers.

Hello Rod... You'd be surprised how often you and Patti are in my prayers... Do you still have the cats?   I love the way you sail (you mentioned Half Moon Bay the other day).  Are you familiar with Point Arguello?  Named after my family... 

I hope you have time to wait for really good weather... sail safely, Rod... my prayers are with you...

from the beach... GG

Edited by Garden Girl
On 10/6/2018 at 4:20 PM, rodheadlee said:

Your prayers are already working. They have dropped the wind speed from 25 knots to 15 knots, wind waves 2 feet or less. The direction is still south east, we prefer not to sail against the wind in big wind, we did that for 4 thousand miles 5 years ago and we hope to not have to repeat the experience. Our direction of sail will be mostly south east. I get my weather from 3 different sources and they have not been agreeing with each other. Perhaps by Monday things will be clear and we can leave. It's 292 miles to home from here so about a 3 day run, in ideal conditions. The first run is 120 miles to the next port with northwest protection ( skipping a port with a difficult entry), then we have go around the dreaded Point Conception to the Santa Barbara Channel and we will be sailing east to south east. Thank you for your prayers.

Please be careful on the high seas.

By the way, one of my favorite pop songs is "Southern Cross" by Crosby, Stills and Nash.  I love the sailing talk

We appreciate all of your prayers and we didn't make it to Los Angeles but we made it safely to Ventura.  We had a little to no wind so we motored down the coast until the engine broke just off point Arguello. We were greeted by hundreds of dolphins so we felt safe. Why that is I don't know but we always feel safe when we're surrounded by dolphins. Eventually a light Breeze came up and we were able to sail off the coast and get some sea room.  We sailed all  afternoon towards our destination then the wind picked up to a good sailing Breeze and we were able to sail to Point Conception. We had arranged to have a tow  to the nearest Yanmar dealer for repairs. Just as the towboat arrived and hooked us up the wind clocked around to the east and the storm we had been hearing about all day was up on us. We were so joyful to be towed all the way to Ventura during the easterly winds. We could have made it here eventually but it would not have been much fun. Thank you again for all your prayers.

Edited by rodheadlee
3 hours ago, rodheadlee said:

We appreciate all of your prayers and we didn't make it to Los Angeles but we made it safely to Ventura.  We had a little to no wind so we motored down the coast until the engine broke just off point Arguello. We were greeted by hundreds of dolphins so we felt safe. Why that is I don't know but we always feel safe when we're surrounded by dolphins. Eventually a light Breeze came up and we were able to sail off the coast and get some sea room.  We sailed all  afternoon towards our destination then the wind picked up to a good sailing Breeze and we were able to sail to Point Conception. We had arranged to have a tow  to the nearest Yanmar dealer for repairs. Just as the towboat arrived and hooked us up the wind clocked around to the east and the storm we had been hearing about all day was up on us. We were so joyful to be towed all the way to Ventura during the easterly winds. We could have made it here eventually but it would not have been much fun. Thank you again for all your prayers.

Rod... As I mentioned in my earlier post... Point Arguello is named after my family... one of the early Spanish families that settled California when it was still part of Mexico (under Spanish rule).  MY Great-Gr-Gr-Gr-Grandfather was the Commandante of the San Francisco and Monterey Presidios... and govenor of Alta California, then Baja California...  Google Jose Dario Arguello and that is my history... his daughter, was my Great-Gr-Gr-Aunt Concepcion (Concha to family/friends) and was known as the most beautiful senorita in Nuevo California... Google Concepcion Arguello for her story... She is famous in Calif history... 

So glad you are safe...

GG

Edited by Garden Girl
1 hour ago, rodheadlee said:

Way cool Tacenda. We tried to put harnesses on our cats and they won't wear them. That's a nice harness that cat had I'd like to know where to get one. We should have put them on harnesses and leashes from birth.

How are the cats?  I think of them often, and you and Patti...  

GG

They are doing good. They hate it when the engine runs. Leah really likes light wind sailing, Benny came outside for a little bit too. Benny has been chewing up every cord insight so we put everything with a cord in plastic boxes. He got sea sick too but Leia doesn't really get seasick.