Need suggestions for feel good, nonfiction audiobooks

Calm

Mom can't read any more (vision and fluency issues) and wants to try listening.  She doesn't like novels and needs relatively simple concepts, so maybe uplifting biographies if they are mainly upbeat and not a lot of trauma before healing.  She read a lot of Joseph Campbell, Jung, and Swedenborg when I was growing up, got more into the somewhat New Age self help spiritual books as I got older that she might come across on Oprah or hear about through friends also looking for ways to be healthier physically and spiritually, but always related them to a relatively tradional view of the Gospel.  These days she is more conservative in tastes and probably would find the more traditional easier to follow as well, so I am wondering what type of fare Deseretbook offers in this area.  She is also more gullible and less discerning due to some dementia, so definitely want to stay with positive, interesting, but safe, simple ideas.

I can't process audiobooks myself as I am a visual learner (always had to take lecture notes, but then didn't have to review them; close caption everything these days), so I have never kept up with the tech or the options.  I am going to have to burn cds unless there is a simpler way of making sure she doesn't lose her place (she doesn't do iPads, IPods, or phones or even DVDs, she used to watch two TV channels because there were two TVs and she would keep one on KSL and the other on BYU TV.  If by chance she hit something besides the on and off button, someone would have to go over to 'fix' it (usually just exiting the guide).  Not sure what she is doing these dayswith her new setup, but she's not complaining and she has people to ask.  

I don't want to spend much money on the setup  because she refused to learn how to turn a music cd off and on, so I don't have a clue if this will work or if she will just revert to the TV.  She loved to read, so it may be a big enough void that she will be motivated.

Going to get her a set of audioscriptures, any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

9 hours ago, Calm said:

Mom can't read any more (vision and fluency issues) and wants to try listening.  She doesn't like novels and needs relatively simple concepts, so maybe uplifting biographies if they are mainly upbeat and not a lot of trauma before healing.  She read a lot of Joseph Campbell, Jung, and Swedenborg when I was growing up, got more into the somewhat New Age self help spiritual books as I got older that she might come across on Oprah or hear about through friends also looking for ways to be healthier physically and spiritually, but always related them to a relatively tradional view of the Gospel.  These days she is more conservative in tastes and probably would find the more traditional easier to follow as well, so I am wondering what type of fare Deseretbook offers in this area.  She is also more gullible and less discerning due to some dementia, so definitely want to stay with positive, interesting, but safe, simple ideas.

I can't process audiobooks myself as I am a visual learner (always had to take lecture notes, but then didn't have to review them; close caption everything these days), so I have never kept up with the tech or the options.  I am going to have to burn cds unless there is a simpler way of making sure she doesn't lose her place (she doesn't do iPads, IPods, or phones or even DVDs, she used to watch two TV channels because there were two TVs and she would keep one on KSL and the other on BYU TV.  If by chance she hit something besides the on and off button, someone would have to go over to 'fix' it (usually just exiting the guide).  Not sure what she is doing these dayswith her new setup, but she's not complaining and she has people to ask.  

I don't want to spend much money on the setup  because she refused to learn how to turn a music cd off and on, so I don't have a clue if this will work or if she will just revert to the TV.  She loved to read, so it may be a big enough void that she will be motivated.

Going to get her a set of audioscriptures, any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I swear by my Kindle, and audio books. But don't like to spend a lot of money. The audiobooks are through Amazon, with so many choices. But maybe a little expensive if you don't choose the free ones or the cheaper ones since there is a monthly fee to have it, which is around 14.95, I believe. But maybe I'm such a cheapskate that I really never buy books, but go to the library. So someone who is use to buying books vs. the library, this monthly fee probably wouldn't cost too much. So on the Kindle, you aquire a library of your own, and maybe whomever is with your mom could just go to it on the Kindle and play it for her, she could even listen with earphones. So you and her could go through all the books and pick which ones she might like. I do remember my MIL enjoying the book, "Tuesdays with Morrie".  Hope this helps.

Don't know if they are audiobooks (though you can get Alex voice on an IPAD to read everything printed if it is available), but

The History of Nearly Everything, Bryson

Krakatoa and other books by Simon Winchester

Standing on the Promises (a Black Mormon history trilogy covering Nauvoo to 1970's,  that has made up dialogue but is otherwise historically footnoted though not including more recently identified information

Poor Richard's Almanac

What Einstein Told His Cook (kitchen science)

Paul Harvey The Rest of the Story

What about the bathroom books (not uncle johns, but a bunch that have short versions of literature and info)

BTW, nowadays you can also check out such books online from your local library.

Thanks for the ideas.  Standing On the Promises is the only historical fiction I ever enjoyed.  Most makes me cringe, though I used to love those kids of biographies as a kid.  Paul Harvey would be a good idea too.

The online loans I am assuming they wouldn't be happy if I burned them to CDs, assuming I could.  Please correct me if I am wrong.  Library loans are problematic because she likely won't finish a book in two weeks and I just can't handle running back and forth that much as my lower back is acting up.  I need to put spare time into physical therapy and exercise and if I get to where it helps more than hurts driving to the warm therapy pool for swimming.

I think I am just going to have to insist she try an iPad or something she can use the Gospel Library app on.  I started listening to Saints last night and the scriptures and I think the voices would work for her.  Plus they are free so no frustrations if we find out after 6 months of her saying how she loves them, that she actually hates them and hasn't touch any (the amount of clothing and shoes we have donated to DI because she gushed over it and told us to buy more only to find them never used in the closet could probably cloth two more women).

If I can get her using the Gospel Library App, we could then do a Deseretbook Plus membership which is $7 a month, which she can afford,

If I can talk other family into helping teach her (which means over and over as she forgets anything she doesn't constantly use) until she is comfortable with it, we could get into more scheduled visits so it is not so feast and famine.

Edited by Calm