Problem with the 2 hour block speculation

1 hour ago, strappinglad said:

I read on lds.org about a preview of the 2019 curriculum. It specifically talks about the new program which indicates that there will be scriptures outlined to be covered WEEKLY in primary and SS etc. Hard to do it weekly if SS and PH/RS alternate. Fly meet ointment.

I read the same thing today.  

There are more gems sending mixed messages.  From this article we have this line (emphasis mine):

Curriculum writers realized there are a lot more hours in the week than the one or two hours members spend in class at church. Because of that, they felt the need for more home learning.

I don't think we are getting global 2 hour church.  My guess is that this is taking into account small branches where they just cannot justify 3 hours and do the 2 hour thing (with approval, it already exists in places).  If we were getting global 2 hour church then a different phrase such as "the time" rather than enumerating hours.

I expect a FHE reboot much like what HT/VT got in ministering.

7 hours ago, revelstoked said:

There are more gems sending mixed messages.  From this article we have this line (emphasis mine):

I don't think we are getting global 2 hour church.  My guess is that this is taking into account small branches where they just cannot justify 3 hours and do the 2 hour thing (with approval, it already exists in places).  If we were getting global 2 hour church then a different phrase such as "the time" rather than enumerating hours.

I expect a FHE reboot much like what HT/VT got in ministering.

Even if FHE is not officially rebooted, I suspect the new home study  manual will morph into an FHE manual for many families.

10 hours ago, strappinglad said:

I read on lds.org about a preview of the 2019 curriculum. It specifically talks about the new program which indicates that there will be scriptures outlined to be covered WEEKLY in primary and SS etc. Hard to do it weekly if SS and PH/RS alternate. Fly meet ointment.

Here’s another diddy. Elder Bednar came to our stake and gave a talk to all of us. In it at several points he lightly chastised saints who were gunning for  a 2 hr church block, pointing that members in places like africa or india find the 3 hrs of church a refuge in their life. 

He did mention that the church model was meant to be home-centered, church supported and that currently it is still the reverse in many ways. It sounded as though the changes coming up were to help to begin change that.

with luv, 

BD

Edited by BlueDreams
4 hours ago, BlueDreams said:

Here’s another diddy. Elder Bednar came to our stake and gave a talk to all of us. In it at several points he lightly chastised saints who were gunning for  a 2 hr church block, pointing that members in places like africa or india find the 3 hrs of church a refuge in their life. 

He did mention that the church model was meant to be home-centered, church supported and that currently it is still the reverse in many ways. It sounded as though the changes coming up were to help to begin change that.

with luv, 

BD

Which is interesting since we know that the church actually is having a few US wards (at least one in Utah) pilot a 2 hour church block.  Maybe his chastisement was more for wanting a two hour block, than for believing it would happen?  

Honestly I would be so incredibly surprised if we went to a 2-hour block.  I just don't see it happening.  It's fun to speculate though. :D 

The latest twitter rumor is 15 minute sacrament.  All sacrament, no talking.

@Ldsstakeclerk2 hour church will happen. Here is are the juicy details how it will break down: - 15 min sacrament meeting (invocation, business, hymn, sacrament, hymn, benediction) - 45 min Sunday School - 45 min EQ/RS/YM/YW

I mean we got out of Scouts and ended Home Teaching and Visiting Teaching, two big wishes right there.  This is the sort of wish fulfillment that is plausible, unlike 5% tithing and repealing the Word of Wisdom.  Wishes come in threes right?

I could totally see this for branches, but not wards.

Edited by revelstoked
3 minutes ago, revelstoked said:

I mean we got out of Scouts and ended Home Teaching and Visiting Teaching, two big wishes right there.  This is the sort of wish fulfillment that is plausible, unlike 5% tithing and repealing the Word of Wisdom.  Wishes come in threes right?

Does ldsstakeclerk give his sources?

40 minutes ago, revelstoked said:

You can't do all that in 15 minutes.

5 hours ago, Tacenda said:

I listened to a podcast called Mormonland, that the 2 hour could be split in 40-40-40 increments, so that sounds plausible to me.

In large wards, passing the Sacrament and blessing babies can take that much time so unless they start blessing babies at home and including another 4 or 6 boys/men to pass, I doubt that is an option.

1 hour ago, ksfisher said:

I agree, its at least 30 minutes before the talks start in my Ward. I would be fine with no talks, but I really doubt the Church is headed that way.

Edited by mnn727
2 hours ago, ksfisher said:

My mother's branch is a small assisted living branch, few announcements, no baby blessings, not much business, etc.  Not a large crowd so that balances out the slower passing down the aisle.  My mother gave the first talk last Sunday and the bp let me know it would be at twenty five past the hour.  So if even that group took twenty five minus the closing hymn and prayer, no way could it be fifteen minutes for everything.

I'm sorry... but I can't see the value of reducing from 3 hrs to 2 hrs... Two hours hardly gives time for any meaningful content/action of the meetings... I come to Church on Sundays to be fed spiritually, receive doctrinal teaching, and put the world away from me... 40  40 40  seems a rush... of course I enjoy the 3 hrs and don't have children/husband to worry about and/or deal with...  

GG

Edited by Garden Girl