Seriously No Politics ×

A Fourth Watch God

bluebell

This talk by S. Michael Wilcox (not to be confused with Brad Wilcox who also usually gives great talks) at BYU education week in 2005 is so good, especially if you are struggling to believe that God hears or answers prayers.  It's an hour long so I recommend listening to it doing something else, like getting ready for the morning or cleaning or something.

Once you start to watch it, the title of the thread will make sense.

When My Prayers Feel Unanswered

Edited by bluebell
2 hours ago, bluebell said:

This talk by S. Michael Wilcox (not to be confused with Brad Wilcox who also usually gives great talks) at BYU education week in 2005 is so good, especially if you are struggling to believe that God hears or answers prayers.  It's an hour long so I recommend listening to it doing something else, like getting ready for the morning or cleaning or something.

Once you start to watch it, the title of the thread will make sense.

When My Prayers Feel Unanswered

Michael Wilcox is one of my favorites. 

11 minutes ago, ksfisher said:

Michael Wilcox is one of my favorites. 

He's so good.  He does Time Out for Women sometimes and the last time I heard him in person he told this hilarious story of trying sneak around and get other patrons at the temple to do some of his family names without any of the temple workers finding out (since it's against the rules).  He's hilarious.

Someone loaned me this talk on CD several years ago. I listened to it so many times (usually on my commute) , that I went out and bought two copies: one for myself and one to loan. 

I haven't listened to it in a while. I really need to put it back in my regular rotation. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

When I think if a 4th Watch God, I think of Joseph Smith, or Job, or a friend of mine who lost his wife after 10 long years of caring for her.  She had a disease where calcium grew out of her fingers and intertwined her muscle fibers in golf ball size lumps.  When it was all over, he said he learned a special kind of love caring for her.  He missed her.  I think of the Martin Handcart Company finding God in their extremities, and burying friends and loved ones along the way.  Who knows when the 4th watch is or how far it will go before the Savior intervenes?  It seems like it's up to Christ to say "It is finished."  As we get older and wear out, it sometimes seems like God has built into many of our lives times of suffering.  It's during those times I think "Even THIS doesn't touch how deep He was willing to suffer for me," and I am grateful, blessed and sanctified to that degree.  Every major insight I can think of came after a period of struggle, hardship and pleading.  Sometimes even railing, to my shame, against God because life seemed so hard or unfair at the time.  Then quickly being taken out of that trial and on the other side of it "Singing praises, singing praises, Songs of glory unto Thee-- Songs of glory unto Thee."  Life hadn't been unfair.  God had prepared a course of instruction especially for me where I could see I was in the palm of His hand.  I was the clay, and He was the potter.  I am amazed at the miracles I see on a regular basis-- signs of encouragement that God has His eye on me.  Earlier this month, my wife and I attended the Washington State Fair.  It was late morning, and we had just watched Roberto the Magnificent, a juggling act we have caught each year for over thirty years.  Following the act, we noticed my father in law's neighbor in the second row.  They live about an hour away from there.  He had brought my 98 year old father in law and his wife to the fair.  We couldn't have timed our visit better.  We were able to spend the early afternoon with them.  Getting some free chocolate milk at the dairy barn, my Father in Law turned to me and said "It sure was special running into you two down here today."  I said "Yes, it felt like God was smiling on us today ."  And He was, well into the Savior's 4th watch over my Father in Law. 

- Meerkat

Edited by Meerkat