Seriously No Politics ×

Elder Cook

mnn727

48 minutes ago, mnn727 said:

I just found out Elder Cook will be at our Stake Conference this weekend.

We just had Elder Christofferson 2 years ago, I wouldn't  have expected another Apostle so soon.

14 minutes ago, Robert F. Smith said:

Is your stake in need of special treatment?  For whatever reason...

Yup, sounds like trouble.

59 minutes ago, mnn727 said:

I just found out Elder Cook will be at our Stake Conference this weekend.

We just had Elder Christofferson 2 years ago, I wouldn't  have expected another Apostle so soon.

We had Jeffery R Holland once, I think that is like having four others. :air_kiss:

Edited by Bill "Papa" Lee

No, it's a good solid Stake. We are known for our Southern Hospitality

We also have one of Elder Christofferson's sons living here (used to be my HT companion about 15 years ago), Could be why he came 2 years ago. Also we have a son and a daughter of 2 different 1st Quorum of the 70 members in the Stake - one is 1st Counselor in the Bishopric in my Ward.

Edited by mnn727
12 minutes ago, mnn727 said:

No, it's a good solid Stake. We are known for our Southern Hospitality

We also have one of Elder Christofferson's sons living here (used to be my HT companion about 15 years ago), Could be why he came 2 years ago. Also we have a son and a daughter of 2 different 1st Quorum of the 70 members in the Stake - one is 1st Counselor in the Bishopric in my Ward.

isn't he doing the History QA thing on sunday night? would that be originating from your area then?

50 minutes ago, Duncan said:

isn't he doing the History QA thing on sunday night? would that be originating from your area then?

No, its says its originating from Nauvoo. He got quite a day. Stake Conference is over at noon. 30 minutes to the airport, probably has a Huntsman jet waiting for him (commercial would be a killer for the time frame involved) and 2 1/2 hour flight to Chicago  and he has to be ready to go in Nauvoo by 7PM CST. That's doable but  hectic.

Edited by mnn727
11 hours ago, mnn727 said:

Sorry, the source for that was my wife and she was wrong, she took 2 separate events listed on our Wards facebook page and put them together.

No Apostle for us.

Mea Culpa!

Duuuuuuuuude,

I'm an Eternal Bachelor, so don't take marital advice from me :huh: :shok::blink:, but aren't they always right even when they're wrong ... ? :unsure: :unknw: 

;):D 

Actually, I'm kinda relieved that Elder Cook won't face that Murderers Row of Travel Plans!

P.S.: I'll certainly never be a travel agent (and the traveling public can thank goodness for that! ;)) but it might be easier to get to Nauvoo from Saint Louie than it is to get there from Chicago.

Edited by Kenngo1969

Funny Elder Holland story: Shortly before he was called as an apostle, I was browsing my parents' downstairs library and happened upon .my mom's Dixie College yearbook.  Elder Holland was a BMOC, and could be found in 3-4 places therein.  I said, "Hmm, that's interesting."  Tben when he was called into the Twelve, I said, "You know, Mom, you went to school with him."  She scoffed, "Oh, I did not!"  So I went and got the yearbook and turned to one of his pictures.  "He hasn't changed much, appearance-wise, in 30 years, has he?"  I asked.  Now, she calls him "My Classmate":  "Boy, my classmate did a really good job, didn't he?"

I once got mistaken for Elder Cook!

I had just recently arrived in my new ward in England, and went home teaching to a sister in an assisted living facility who was not able to attend church any longer.  The next day she was visited by the Relief Society President, who was interested to hear that she had been visited by Elder Quentin Cook!  Meaning me.  Yes, I have an American accent and wear glasses.  My last name starts with C and ends with K.  But I have all my hair, gray though it is.  I don't really think I look like Elder Cook, but apparently there is a resemblance.  The sister was thrilled by this visit of a General Authority, and I was concerned that the next time I came by she would be disappointed to discover the truth.  As it turned out, the next month she was moved to another route, so the problem never came up.  Nowadays she has progressed further in her Alzheimers, and doesn't recognize anyone any longer, but at least I had some good impact on her life!

aren't they always right even when they're wrong

Some women, like myself, would be quite worried about their relationship with their spouse if he either didn't feel he could be honest about his opinions with us or wasn't willing to make the effort to discuss stuff with us and instead lazily agreed out of habit.

And I will be honest that I don't like those kinds of jokes, just like I don't like mother-in-law and similar jokes because they are being applied to a whole category of people where many, if not most, are nothing like that.

5 hours ago, Calm said:

Some women, like myself, would be quite worried about their relationship with their spouse if he either didn't feel he could be honest about his opinions with us or wasn't willing to make the effort to discuss stuff with us and instead lazily agreed out of habit.

And I will be honest that I don't like those kinds of jokes, just like I don't like mother-in-law and similar jokes because they are being applied to a whole category of people where many, if not most, are nothing like that.

You needn't worry: I wouldn't be in any danger of getting married even if I weren't a chauvinist pig. ;) 

13 hours ago, Calm said:

There are types of jokes that don't resonate with me, either, but others seem to find them funny.

The thing about jokes or humor in general, is that something is funny because whereas what is described is not necessarily universal, there are a sufficiently large enough sample of the circumstance or behavior in the real world that a person recognizes it.  There are virtually no jokes that describe universal circumstances or behavior.  If so, they are not jokes.  It is the matter of the "edge case" that makes a joke funny.  But sometimes a person feels to close to the butt of the joke, and it makes them uncomfortable.

There was a German language joke that I heard on my mission, and when I heard it (after I had been speaking the language for quite some time), it was quite funny.  However, it did not involve anything real. 

Zwei Unterseebooten schwammen in dem Marsch herum. Der eine traffte den anderen, und sagte: "Na?"  Der andere sagte "Na, und?"

Two submarines were swimming randomly around.  Upon meeting, one said "So?"  The other replied "So, what?"

That's the best translation I can give. The word "na" is one of those words in German that has no particular meaning, but is used as a conversational particle, much like "well" or "so".  In English the joke is bizarre and puzzling.  In German it is rather amusing.  The joke takes advantage of the "edge case", inasmuch as submarines don't talk to each other, let alone use colloquialisms.  The joke, relies upon the notion there might be a couple of old guys, well acquainted with another, and when they meet unexpectedly, hardly need much beyond brief exclamations to communicate.  So, it's funny.  Calling them submarines takes the joke into ridiculousness.

If you find mother-in-law jokes unamusing, it is perhaps you feel too close to the subject.   Let's try another type. You are perhaps familiar with the jokes that revolve around men who simply will not ask for directions?  Not being a man, perhaps you do find them funny -- but not because men will never ask for directions.  They are funny because while not all men refuse to ask for directions, there are a subset of men who find it very hard to do so.  We recognize the edge case.  And it's funny.  Depending upon one's experiences, it is more or less funny.

As for me, I will ask for directions when I feel I've exhausted my own capabilities -- or if I absolutely need to be somewhere at a particular time and cannot risk delay.  Many years ago, my wife and I were trying to get to a large hospital where a neighbor was recovering from an illness.  We had never been there before.  I didn't have a map, and while we had seen the buildings from the freeway, once we got off and started making our way, it wasn't at all clear which way we should go, since we found ourselves in a residential area, and there were no road signs.  I have a pretty good sense of direction, and it rarely fails me.  I just concentrated on maintaining travel in the direction where I felt the hospital was.  My wife, however, wanted me to stop and ask someone.  Unfortunately, it was a work day, and nobody was on the streets.  Then she saw a man walking on the sidewalk.  She said, "Stop and ask him!"  I gave off an exasperated "Arrgghhh!"  But she wasn't buying it, and insisted.  I looked at him and said "He doesn't know where it is."  But she still wasn't buying it, so in the interest of marital amity I gave a deep, put-upon sigh, and we pulled over.  She said, "Excuse me, sir, can you tell me how to get to the Xxxx hospital that's around here?"  He looked puzzled and shook his head.  "I didn't know there was a hospital around here, sorry!"  I snickered, and we drove on.  It didn't take long before we found the hospital -- and all without getting directions from anyone.  Don't ask me how I "knew" the guy didn't know.  I just did.  Or maybe I was just being the prototypical male who just can't ask for directions!

Was any of that funny?  I like the story because the pedestrian didn't know where the hospital was, and made me out to be in the right -- and I found the darned hospital without any darned direction asking!  Yay! One point for me.  And I really do have a good sense of direction.  I don't find male-won't-ask-directions jokes particularly funny, because darn it, I know where the flip I'm going!  And I rarely need directions.

4 hours ago, Stargazer said:

The thing about jokes or humor in general, is that something is funny because whereas what is described is not necessarily universal, there are a sufficiently large enough sample of the circumstance or behavior in the real world that a person recognizes it.  There are virtually no jokes that describe universal circumstances or behavior.  If so, they are not jokes.  It is the matter of the "edge case" that makes a joke funny.  But sometimes a person feels to close to the butt of the joke, and it makes them uncomfortable.

What do you mean by " edge case" because such jokes are usually defined as stereotypes, the "average" mother-in-law, the average wife (better to just tell her she's right), the average husband (won't do directions) 

Humour and jokes about one's mother-in-law (the mother of one's spouse) are a mainstay of comedy. The humour is based on the premise that the average mother-in-law often considers her son-in-law to be unsuitable for her daughter (or daughter-in-law unsuitable for her son), and usually includes the stereotype that mothers-in-law are generally overbearing, obnoxious, or unattractive.[1] This has commonly been referred to as the "battle

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mother-in-law_joke

4 hours ago, Calm said:

What do you mean by " edge case" because such jokes are usually defined as stereotypes, the "average" mother-in-law, the average wife (better to just tell her she's right), the average husband (won't do directions) 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mother-in-law_joke

By "edge case" I mean cases where the usual case transitions over to the less-frequent cases.  I've seen plenty of real-world examples of wives, husbands, mothers- and fathers-in-law.  The vast majority of them are not like the so-called "average" wife who must be told she's right in order to keep the peace, the "average" husband who never asks for directions and is a klutz at home, the "average" mother-in-law who considers her son-in-law to be barely above a chimp in intelligence and manners, and the "average" father-in-law who is a nonentity with his head buried in the TV watching sports, are not at all average, but are relatively unusual. 

Stereotypes are generalized because one assumes that the stereotype is true for each individual person in the category. While such generalizations may be useful when making quick decisions, they may be erroneous when applied to particular individuals. Stereotypes encourage prejudice and may arise for a number of reasons.

In my opinion, these are false stereotypes, because most people resemble them only vaguely.  You can't make humor out of these full people, who, with all their admitted foibles, try to be real people, and mostly succeed.  In order to make humor, you have to stretch certain unusual character traits into characters that become caricatures of reality.  There are people out there who resemble the false stereotypes, but there are actually few of them.  But everyone has seen a few of them, and they are recognized, and the difference between reality and the stereotype is what is funny.

Or, at least that is my opinion.

They can be problematic though when humor becomes assumed to be about the "average" rather than the exception, as referenced in the mother-in-law case.  False stereotypes are still stereotypes and repetition of them can cause more people to believe them.  

Stereotype:

a widely held but fixed and oversimplified image or idea of a particular type of person or thing.

Studies have shown disparagement humor can lead to greater prejudicial treatment or at least acceptance of such. Humor that denigrates helps people feel more comfortable with other denigrating behaviour (and I don't limit it to minorities, but every group or individual that gets mocked...seeing others mock makes it easier for us to mock, ridicule, mistreat):

https://theconversation.com/psychology-behind-the-unfunny-consequences-of-jokes-that-denigrate-63855

Edited by Calm