Seriously No Politics ×

So...Weird Question

Jeanne

I did not not want to put this on the General Discussions because this is just such a "Jeanne" thing..🙄

But..is there any possibility, in mormon doctrine and/or those who have studied NDE's/or Life AFter Death..that once one leaves the earth..that no one is there?  I mean you are in a wonderful place..but no one from your family or circle of earthly people are there?  No one greets you or takes you into the other world?

Edited by Jeanne
55 minutes ago, Jeanne said:

I did not not want to put this on the General Discussions because this is just such a "Jeanne" thing..🙄

But..is there any possibility, in mormon doctrine and/or those who have studied NDE's/or Life AFter Death..that once one leaves the earth..that no one is there?  I mean you are in a wonderful place..but no one from your family or circle of earthly people are there?  No one greets you or takes you into the other world?

I have never known of any account where someone did not encounter someone else. Except the few where a person would describe oping though a tunnel, or toward a "white light", and feeling of peace, and then we pulled back. Even then there seems to be some sort of communication, not always verbal, but still "a" communication. 

There are a few scriptures that hint at the possibly there will be someone there
"Then Abraham gave up the ghost, and died in a good old age, an old man, and full of years; and was gathered to his people" (Genesis 25:8).

The phrase "gathered to his people", sounds like he went to a place in heaven where there were people who knew him.

When David's child died, in his mourning he said:
"But now he is dead, wherefore should I fast? can I bring him back again? I shall go to him, but he shall not return to me." (2 Sam. 12:23)

Daniel expected to be able to go to his child when he dies. 

Brigham Young once said: 

"When you are prepared to see our Father(God), you will see a being with whom you have long been acquainted, and He will receive you into His arms, and you will be ready to fall into His embrace and kiss Him, as you would your fathers and friends that have been dead for a score of years, you will be so glad and joyful. Would you not rejoice? When you are qualified and purified, so that you can endure the glory of eternity, so that you can see your Father, and your friends who have gone behind the vail, you will fall upon their necks and kiss them, as we do an earthly friend that has been long absent from us, and that we have been anxiously desiring to see. This is the people that are and will be permitted to enjoy the society of those happy and exalted beings." (Journal of Discourses, vol. 4)

I certainly don't know of any scripture or experiences where there is no one there when we die.

15 hours ago, Bill "Papa" Lee said:

I have never known of any account where someone did not encounter someone else. Except the few where a person would describe oping though a tunnel, or toward a "white light", and feeling of peace, and then we pulled back. Even then there seems to be some sort of communication, not always verbal, but still "a" communication. 

In and outside mormonism...I have seen this too.  Thanks Papa!!

On 8/29/2018 at 7:43 PM, Jeanne said:

Since it is clear that friends or loved ones guide you I can only think of one case where this would be a problem.

giphy.gif

So, yeah, I might be in trouble. :( 

Often I think humans maintain a very strict, linear perception of things. We think there are only our immediate family and our extended family of cousins, etc. We forget that we are just pilgrims here. It was designed for us to journey for a short time to learn, to gain a physical body, and to move on. I do think there is an importance to our mortal family, but they remain just a part of our eternal relationships. When we go beyond this mortal existence we lose our ignorance of eternal things and regain the eternal knowledge we lost. Each of us is a child of God. We had relationships that existed before this mortal life and they will return to our knowledge and memory. Passing beyond the veil is a joyous event and reunion of not only our earthly family but our eternal family also. 

24 minutes ago, Storm Rider said:

Often I think humans maintain a very strict, linear perception of things. We think there are only our immediate family and our extended family of cousins, etc. We forget that we are just pilgrims here. It was designed for us to journey for a short time to learn, to gain a physical body, and to move on. I do think there is an importance to our mortal family, but they remain just a part of our eternal relationships. When we go beyond this mortal existence we lose our ignorance of eternal things and regain the eternal knowledge we lost. Each of us is a child of God. We had relationships that existed before this mortal life and they will return to our knowledge and memory. Passing beyond the veil is a joyous event and reunion of not only our earthly family but our eternal family also. 

I expect the eternal memory does not return at once.

13 hours ago, The Nehor said:

Since it is clear that friends or loved ones guide you I can only think of one case where this would be a problem.

giphy.gif

So, yeah, I might be in trouble. :( 

Oh....I am so going to find you...what a hoot...!!

4 hours ago, The Nehor said:

Is this a groupie thing or a stalker thing?

Come heaven or hell I will find you....just to make me laugh!!   Down in hell I will say...has anyone seen Nehor?????   They will say...He is on the stage...over there!!☺️

On 8/29/2018 at 6:43 PM, Jeanne said:

Sounds like a nightmare.  Not something I'd want to confront.  In fact that sounds more like Outer Darkness than a nice place.

11 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said:

Sounds like a nightmare.  Not something I'd want to confront.  In fact that sounds more like Outer Darkness than a nice place.

Really...but the reason that I asked was because so many of my family have disowned me in mortality.  You just can't imagine the feeling.

1 hour ago, Robert F. Smith said:

Things will be very different on the other side.  Everyone's sense of perspective will be changed, in an instant.

🙁

Edited by Jeanne
14 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said:

Exactly.  I have even heard it said that, if we could see the glories of the Telestial Kingdom, we would immediately commit suicide just to get there.

I think that the more rational choice would be to just hang on for the terrestrial. I've heard it's the much better address!

• 3 weeks later...

Why would prior departed friends, family, and other loved ones not be there, joyously awaiting the arrival?

I mean, in all honesty, what do people do in the Spirit World - preach the gospel, accept the gospel, pray for their Temple work to be done? I'm sure they are notified when births and deaths are scheduled and attend, when possible

3 hours ago, nuclearfuels said:

Why would prior departed friends, family, and other loved ones not be there, joyously awaiting the arrival?

I mean, in all honesty, what do people do in the Spirit World - preach the gospel, accept the gospel, pray for their Temple work to be done? I'm sure they are notified when births and deaths are scheduled and attend, when possible

This seems like a nice idea, but I am not sure that they are quite so "in tune" with mortality.  I don't think they have a window on mortality, except as allowed on an exceptional basis, but as future family members pass through death they will gain news that way.  

Here is what I suspect the recently-deceased Stephen Hawking is doing: rejoicing that he continues, despite his previous conviction that he wouldn't, and perhaps he is now able to understand more about physics than he had previously.  He may have found that Einstein has finally completed work on the Unified Field Theory.  And it is certainly possible that Hawking is starting to consider that he might have wrong about there not being a God.  As his fellow theorists begin arriving they of course will bring news, about many things.  

Hawking, Einstein and Newton play cards with Data (of course, in the spirit world, Data wouldn't be there (unless appearing as the late Brent Spiner):