Seriously No Politics ×

Flushing a Central Line

My dad just got a central line a little over a week ago and it has to be flushed very day. I learned how to do so a few days ago and practiced on one side. He didn't have an appointment today and asked me to come flush it so he wouldn't have to go to the hospital and it went well until somehow the "clave" came off. So he had to go in. I feel so bad! :( I'm going to try again tomorrow, but now I'm super stressed about it! I have even more admiration for nurses! 

But I hate you, cancer. 

23 minutes ago, MorningStar said:

My dad just got a central line a little over a week ago and it has to be flushed very day. I learned how to do so a few days ago and practiced on one side. He didn't have an appointment today and asked me to come flush it so he wouldn't have to go to the hospital and it went well until somehow the "clave" came off. So he had to go in. I feel so bad! :( I'm going to try again tomorrow, but now I'm super stressed about it! I have even more admiration for nurses! 

But I hate you, cancer. 

My Sister, may the peace of God be with you both, you shall both be in my prayers. Practice will soon make perfect, and your ability to care for your Father, will outdo the most experienced of nurses. I know from experience that all you must endure, will serve you and others throughout your life. 

Thank you. Just praying nothing got contaminated. It's so much pressure dealing with something that could lead to a serious infection.  I wish I could have practiced a few more times with the nurse. 

1 minute ago, MorningStar said:

Thank you. Just praying nothing got contaminated. It's so much pressure dealing with something that could lead to a serious infection.  I wish I could have practiced a few more times with the nurse. 

When my Father first contracted cancer, my Mother started buying and reading every book she could find for "any" type medical condition. My Father, fought and refought cancer for 11 years before losing the battle. His doctors remarked often that my Mother's care was how he was able to endure for so long. When my Mother passed away, 4+ years ago, she had bought and read nearly 100 books, and had become the "go to girl" within the Lee Family, a very large family. Many of my Father's brothers and sisters (9 in total) and every spouse, would call my Mother, in order to seek advice, and for what questions to ask their doctors. This is how I know that you will meet and surpass the task before you. For nothing is greater than the care that a loved one can offer, no stranger could ever be more motivated. You have been called to serve, just as my wife has for my Mother, her Mother, and now me. She has already saved my life more than once, such is the calling of love. You have been called, and "whom the Lord calls, he qualifies". 

1 hour ago, Traela said:

Central lines are stressful.  You'll get the hang of it, though.  Will you have to change the dressing?  That's the part I really hated.

He only needs it once a week, but if it starts to irritate his skin, he will need gauze ones changed every day and then I will need to learn how. My aunts are going to be his caretakers after he leaves the hospital, but I'm hoping to relieve them. I can't imagine being there for a week straight just watching him be miserable. If I could do it, I would. Having 5 kids including my 3-year-old, she would be distressed if I left for long, but she can handle a couple days at this point.