Seriously No Politics ×

Afterlife

poptart

So, I'm still curious about the Mormon afterlife.  My uncle just had a massive stroke, has 2 days max to live.  Him and mom are 2 of the few decient relatives I have left, once they're gone that's it.  Know there's the whole salvation thing, what i'm hoping is once i'm dead I can see them again.  I don't care about some fabulous afterlife, I just want to be with my own and make up for the life i've had to live.

The security of knowing one will be with family drives many Latter-day Saints.  I assume it does the same for many others.  We make it more explicit than other faiths and more inclusive over all than many, though some get worried about what the divisions in kingdoms means.  I figure if a parent wouldn't restrict interaction with the vast majority of their children, why would God? (In very rare cases a parent might exclude a sibling because they are extremely dangerous to other siblings, but all will be pure in the kingdoms even if they don't desire to progress, so there would be no potential for danger).  There may be limits to that interaction based on a person's ability to understand (think of a 5 year old trying to discuss an older sibling's college experience...they aren't going to comprehend much of it).

Edited by Calm
3 minutes ago, Calm said:

The security of knowing one will be with family drives many Latter-day Saints.  I assume it does the same for many others.  We make it more explicit than other faiths and more inclusive over all than many, though some get worried about what the divisions in kingdoms means.  I figure if a parent wouldn't restrict interaction with the vast majority of their children, why would God? (In very rare cases a parent might exclude a sibling because they are extremely dangerous to other siblings, but all will be pure in the kingdoms even if they don't desire to progress, so there would be no potential for danger).  There may be limits to that interaction based on a person's ability to understand (think of a 5 year old trying to discuss an older sibling's college experience...they aren't going to comprehend much of it).

My father was a violent drunken psychopath who almost killed my mom, i hope he's frying in hell.  I just want to be with the good family, the rest I really don't care about.  Honestly, this life kinda sucks, for me anyway.

Hell/Spirit Prison is 'visited' prior to resurrection.  Those who accept Christ as their Saviour get to move on and learn how to live a better life.  Those who refuse go through some sort of experience where their suffering (I assume among other things) results in them being sinless, if possible stagnant (I see it as bad being purged, but good isn't automatically the result; sinless means you don't sin, not that you are out doing good).

My speculation is the suffering sinners who refuse to accept Christ must experience is the pain they have caused others.  Maybe it is a type of virtual reality where they live as their victims, feeling everything they did.  Until they are repulsed by their own actions and reject that part of themselves that takes pleasure or justifies that action, they get to reside in Hell.  Eventually though everyone will get it enough to be purged of their evil even if they don't care enough to want to change more than that.  I think of it as subsistence living.  God makes sure everyone has the ability to become rich in spirit, but some will refuse and exist at the bare minimum of survival.

I have no clue what this will mean for relationships that were so destructive and evil in this life. 

1 hour ago, poptart said:

My father was a violent drunken psychopath who almost killed my mom, i hope he's frying in hell.  I just want to be with the good family, the rest I really don't care about.  Honestly, this life kinda sucks, for me anyway.

After the resurrection the plan of salvation (also called the plan of happiness) will put you and everyone in a degree of heaven where you will be the happiest and fit in the best. 
I think God takes into account the hand you have been dealt in this life and will give everyone a chance (if not in this life then the next) who desires it, to have eternal life with Him. 
I think God also takes into account those who do not give up in this life. Those who keep trying proove to God that that in their hearts they really do want eternal life.
Drunken Psychopath or not we were all spirit children of God together in the same famly in the pre-mortal life and everyone will be given a chance for eternal life.
But if the man doesn't change you will probably never see him again after this life.

21 minutes ago, JAHS said:

After the resurrection the plan of salvation (also called the plan of happiness) will put you and everyone in a degree of heaven where you will be the happiest and fit in the best. 
I think God takes into account the hand you have been dealt in this life and will give everyone a chance (if not in this life then the next) who desires it, to have eternal life with Him. 
I think God also takes into account those who do not give up in this life. Those who keep trying proove to God that that in their hearts they really do want eternal life.
Drunken Psychopath or not we were all spirit children of God together in the same famly in the pre-mortal life and everyone will be given a chance for eternal life.
But if the man doesn't change you will probably never see him again after this life.

It's why i've always liked the pagan idea of the afterlife, you die and go to a hall someplace with your own kind.  Think one nice thing about the LDS afterlife is you can blow your brains out and still end up someplace nicer than here.

2 hours ago, The Nehor said:

From this I can confirm that your hair is on fire and you must have lost your wits.

Should have posted this, didn't think about it at the time.  This here really does reflect how I feel about the afterlife, almost too well.  Bonus points Nehor, at 2:45 she sings of the man in the blue cloak, guess who that is...

20 hours ago, poptart said:

This has nothing to do with your tooic, but here's a parody of Pumped Up Kicks that I really like

On 9/4/2018 at 2:03 AM, poptart said:

Aaaand my Uncle passed last Wednesday, funeral was today.  Sure enough, his family is tearing each other apart and the newly made widow, wife of 67 years is in the middle of it all.  I'm sick to my stomach.

So sad... 😑

33 minutes ago, poptart said:

Seems like thats how people are anymore, those who are lucky to have decient parents chose to be selfish.  People make me so sick.

And yet, this kind of thing is not the majority.  Thank goodness, but it's so distressing to be in the middle of it.