Seriously No Politics ×

Young Mormon Woman Sues School over Religious Discrimination

On 10/29/2018 at 12:59 AM, Jane_Doe said:

Mormons very much acknowledge Christ's divinity.  

There's no convincing Little Nipper of that.  You're kind of wasting your time.

On 11/1/2018 at 4:44 PM, Stargazer said:

There's no convincing Little Nipper of that.  You're kind of wasting your time.

Why don't you explain Christ's divinity to me? 

It would seem that there are things Mormons have NO (CAPS for Nehor's enjoyment) answer for!

Edited by LittleNipper
On 10/29/2018 at 8:16 AM, LittleNipper said:

I believe one must depend on the Bible as the ultimate authority in spiritual matters as dictated by GOD through the moving of the Holy Spirit. Christ is under the authority of The Father. And a believer is under the authority of CHRIST. GOD did not evolve from a human created by some other god long ago. Anyone who imagines that doesn't KNOW GOD and GOD doesn't know them. Oh, HE knows OF THEM but they are not one of HIS SHEEP. A person who knows Christ (GOD WITH US), is not going to be taken in for very long by stories and doctrines that paint a decidedly wrong picture of who and what GOD is --- anymore than one can spread rumors and lies regarding our parents. Sheep know their shepherd and the Shepherd knows His sheep.

Your CapsLock key appears to be broken. You may want to get it fixed.

• 2 months later...
On 10/16/2018 at 6:51 PM, Stargazer said:

That's an interesting question.  I'd like to hope that God guided them to the extent they were guidable, but given the First Vision I'm quite sure they didn't hit the nail on the head.

Maybe Mohammed was guided by God, too, right?  Maybe Buddha was, and maybe whoever founded Hinduism.  They can't all be right, however, unless one believes there is no God and as the Old Fritz once said: "Jeder soll nach seiner Fassung selig werden."  Everyone will be saved according to his own conscience.  Just in case you're not familiar with the Old Fritz, that's Frederick the Great's nickname.

In a conference my son and his family attended in Dubai several years ago (approximately seven,) Elder Jeffrey R Holland called Islam "a preparatory religion."

Edited by Meerkat
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/2/2018 at 9:43 PM, LittleNipper said:

So you don't know?

Tell us your view of Christ's divinity, and I will then compare it with mine.  I want to use your vocabulary so that we will use a common language == atonement, salvation,  sacrifice, Trinity, etc

Edited by cdowis
On 10/11/2018 at 5:55 AM, LittleNipper said:

Do you believe Jesus was GOD in the Flesh? And that HE emptied HIMSELF so as to come into this world as a MAN. The main precept of Christianity is the TRINITY. I do agree with you concerning private clubs. I'm sure you many have Latter Day Saint clubs and I can imagine you wouldn't want a Baptist  or a Methodist officiating....

Hi LittleNipper - I am not a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I am an evangelical Christian within the Mennonite tradition. I would strong disagree with you that the main precept of Christianity is the TRINITY. I am not sure where you get that? The main precept of Christianity is the death, burial, and resurrection of Christ. This is the gospel - the good news in a nutshell. The atonement of Christ is the what; His death burial, and resurrection is the how. Please let me know which Christian group you belong to that asserts that the trinity is the main precept of Christianity. I have never heard that before. Thanks

Edited by Navidad
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2019 at 1:11 PM, Navidad said:

Hi LittleNipper - I am not a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I am an evangelical Christian within the Mennonite tradition. I would strong disagree with you that the main precept of Christianity is the TRINITY. I am not sure where you get that? 

For me it comes from hundreds of discussions with those who say we are not Christians.  Basically if you don't believe in OUR view of  God, the God of the NIcene reed, then you are not Christian.  The acceptance of the one substance entity, the Triune, is what unites the traditional Christians.

• 1 month later...

To get back to the OP:

Does anyone know how this suit could work at all?

It seems either 1) this group which claims to be ¨Christian¨ should have been sued long ago for being a religious organization active on a public school or 2) It´s a government-accepted ¨Christian¨ group that can accept, deny, or promote any members it wishes based on its own ¨Christian¨ criteria.

If it was a ¨Christian¨ organization allowed by the governments to interact with public school students, then it can act in whatever ¨Christian¨ way it wants (including denying leadership positions to whatever type of Christians its members may be). If it were an LDS organization and a non-LDS Christian wanted to be a leader, would it be illicit discrimination? LDS and Christians generally know that there are significant differences between them so it is not surprising, nor legitimately disagreeable that either would not want the other to represent an ¨LDS¨ organization or a ¨Christian¨ organization as a leader who leads its members.

So it really seems to just come down to whether the organization is legit in the first place.  Is it legal for this religious group to be active in this environment?  If it is, then it can exclude whomever from whatever based on religion - because it´s a religious organization. If it is not legal in the first place, then it´s not legal because of some extension of church and state separation not because they denied an LDS youth acceptance as a Christian leader.

No need to derail into specific LDS/Christian differences.

• 2 months later...