Seriously No Politics ×

Austria is Beautiful

That's where I went on my mission (1972-1973). It was beautiful. I was in Vienna, Salzburg, Innsbruck, and some of the smaller southern cities. 
There was a church member who was the caretaker of the Salzburg fortress (top area of photo) and actually lived in it. He invited us to dinner once.salzburg.jpg.cdc816659afc74e595af398161566400.jpg

On July 28, 2018 at 10:32 AM, Stargazer said:

This is just a brief travelogue. We're sitting in the Innsbruck airport airport waiting for our flight back to the UK after a week in Tyrol. We walked all over, took cable cars to the high places, and saw as much as possible. It is heartstoppingly gorgeous! Great food, friendly people, and a vacation to remember. 

If you ever have a chance to visit Europe, Austria in summer would be a great choice. It helps if you can speak German (like I can), but there are plenty of people who can speak English.

It has been many years since being in all these places, I would love to get back some day. Lived and stationed in (was was then) West Germany, and traveled to many EU countries, including the UK, long before you could drive under the English Channel. 

On 8/5/2018 at 4:00 AM, cdowis said:

This is better than watching the Telestial kingdom live webcam! Love it, except everyone is inside, must be real early in the morning possibly.

Edited by Tacenda
12 hours ago, Tacenda said:

This is better than watching the Telestial kingdom live webcam! Love it, except everyone is inside, must be real early in the morning possibly.

This is a live webcam.  It is an open air market. 

On the right is a small stage for music, etc.  Unfortunately no sound.

Edited by cdowis
On 7/29/2018 at 2:37 PM, Bill "Papa" Lee said:

It has been many years since being in all these places, I would love to get back some day. Lived and stationed in (was was then) West Germany, and traveled to many EU countries, including the UK, long before you could drive under the English Channel. 

Uh, you still can’t drive under the English Channel.  

A train can take your car, if you want. 😎

On 7/28/2018 at 7:32 AM, Stargazer said:

This is just a brief travelogue. We're sitting in the Innsbruck airport airport waiting for our flight back to the UK after a week in Tyrol. We walked all over, took cable cars to the high places, and saw as much as possible. It is heartstoppingly gorgeous! Great food, friendly people, and a vacation to remember. 

If you ever have a chance to visit Europe, Austria in summer would be a great choice. It helps if you can speak German (like I can), but there are plenty of people who can speak English.

One does not have to speak very good German to get around. But a rudimentary knowledge is good. 

Go to Bad Ishl and Hallstatt near Salzburg for a real treat. 

3 hours ago, mrmarklin said:

One does not have to speak very good German to get around. But a rudimentary knowledge is good. 

Go to Bad Ishl and Hallstatt near Salzburg for a real treat. 

We plan to on another occasion.  My wife has visited Salzburg a couple of times before, but she still prefers Mayrhofen, mainly because she is love with all those mountains.

This is Hallstadt. In a cave in that hill behind the church are thousands of nun bones.
They have a cemetery whre the nuns are buried when they die but it is so small that they have to dig up the old skeletons 
and stack them in this cave so they can bury recently deceased nuns in the ground for a while.
Each skull has some sort of art work painted on it.
A general authority of the church once visited this place and remarked how crowded it was going to be in there when the resurection came.hallstadt.thumb.jpg.1b94c54fc9338daa447fee1198601576.jpg

Edited by JAHS
On August 7, 2018 at 12:41 PM, mrmarklin said:

Uh, you still can’t drive under the English Channel.  

A train can take your car, if you want. 😎

Yes, I know. When I was stationed in Germany there was no tunnel, I had to ride the ferry, back between 1978-1981. Sorry if I implied otherwise. So when I went and spent a week at the London Temple in Prescott, we had to do it "old school". Well not "old, old school", we did not set sail. :db: