Seriously No Politics ×

Missionary Work In Southern Colorado Set Back 50 Years

From the "Too many were called, fewer should have been chosen" file:

LDS Missionaries Part of Shrine Vandalism Investigation

Deputies are investigating allegations that LDS missionaries may have decapitated a statue of a Mexican martyr and mocked a Catholic shrine in the San Luis Valley of southern Colorado.

Photos surfaced on the Internet last week showing young men holding the statue's severed head, preaching from an altar and pretending to sacrifice each other at the Shrine of the Mexican Martyrs.

deja_q_hd_046_resized_6484.jpg

Edited by cinepro

Didn't this happen years ago? Or did different missionaries do this again?

Years ago, they had to close the area. The similarities are such that I suspect this might just be a re-release of the same photos on social media.

3 hours ago, snowflake said:

Unfortunately,  young kids do stupid crap all the time, LDS, EV's, JW's, Catholics, .....thank God they usually grow out of such nonsense!

Yes.  And this means that in many jurisdictions, one is not allowed to be a law enforcement officer until age 21.  The younger guys just don't have enough maturity.  That applies to driving vehicles safely, managing personal relationships (dating and marriage), etc.

So is it really a good idea to send guys out on missions so early?  The women seem to do so much better than the guys.

On 7/26/2018 at 10:18 PM, strappinglad said:

In other breaking news... President shot in Dallas:o

It just popped up on Facebook and I obviously didn't check the date...:unsure:

Edited by cinepro

The irony is that there are several communities in the San Luis Valley that were established in the late 1800s by Mormon settlers sent by Brigham Young, including Martin hand-cart survivors, English and Danish immigrants, and relocated Saints from Hickman County Tennessee (of Cane Creek Massacre infamy).

Sanford, Manassa (hometown of the famous boxer Jack Dempsey), Richfield, among others. There was an LDS academy there staffed by assigned BYU professors. My grandmother was trained on the organ for several years by Spencer Cornwall, future director of the Tabernacle Choir. The Valley was a refuge for persecuted polygamists. Everywhere I have lived I have met members of the Church with relatives in the Valley. 

All of my mother’s grandparents were among the first settlers. Her maternal grandfather was San Luis stake president for 25 years and her paternal grandfather was mayor of Manassa.

Relations between the Saints and Latino inhabitants were not alway the greatest, but there was mutual respect and friendships. It’s a shame that heritage was dishonored.

Edited by Bernard Gui
On 7/28/2018 at 2:48 PM, cinepro said:

It just popped up on Facebook and I obviously didn't check the date...:unsure:

Cynic-Pro: (Sorry, but I call 'em like I see 'em: If the Internet handle fits ...)

While I'm not naive enough to believe that any organization in which human beings are involved is anything remotely approaching perfect, I do question the utility of cynicism seemingly being one's default position with respect to "things LDS."  And, in any event, as I see it, even optimism which occasionally is betrayed still is better than cynicism and pessimism which are always rewarded.  I do wonder whether your seeming propensity toward cynicism regarding "things LDS" might color how you respond to things such as the "old news" which spawned this thread, and whether that seeming cynicism serves you as well as you might think it does.

One man's opinion.  Feel free to take it for what it might be worth ...

I wish you a very pleasant good evening. :) 

13 hours ago, Kenngo1969 said:

Cynic-Pro: (Sorry, but I call 'em like I see 'em: If the Internet handle fits ...)

I've joked more than once in EQ that I'm a "skeptical cynic."  It's hard for me to believe something, and then when I do, I make fun of it.

Edited by cinepro
9 hours ago, cinepro said:

I've joked more than once in EQ that I'm a "skeptical cynic."  It's hard for me to believe something, and then when I do, I make fun of it.

That was probably an unwarranted dig, even if, from a certain perspective, it is apt.  I apologize. :unknw: :sorry: