Seriously No Politics ×

Aprons of Fig Leaves and Coats of Skins

6 hours ago, theplains said:

The problem was that Adam and Eve sought their own way, not God's way.

That's the problem for all of us, not just Adam and Eve: 'All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way ... '

Hence the need for a Saviour, who doesn't just cover our sins, as we are inclined to do, but actually washes us clean in His shed blood and clothes us in the garments of His righteousness: ' ... and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all'.

So again, why do you think that God doesn't approve of our acknowledging and remembering this reality in a symbolic way? I personally find it quite instructive to have a visible reminder of what it looks like when I try to cover my wickedness/nakedness in my own way.

Edited by Hamba Tuhan
On 7/23/2018 at 8:34 PM, Hamba Tuhan said:

So again, why do you think that God doesn't approve of our acknowledging and remembering this reality in a symbolic way? I personally find it quite instructive to have a visible reminder of what it looks like when I try to cover my wickedness/nakedness in my own way.

I acknowledge my fallen nature and the need for the atonement but I don't wear anything in a symbolic
gesture to cover my wickedness/nakedness that represents human effort (as in Adam and Eve's attempt,
which God rejected).  The blood of Christ covers us - this does this mean we should wear blood covered
garments in a symbolic gesture either.  In addition, I don't wear any garments for spiritual protection
because I am covered by His blood.  As Hebrews 9 and 10 explain, the temple veil tore - giving us access
to the Holiest of Holies.  We can approach God directly through Jesus (our High Priest). We don't need
sinful earthly priests.

Thanks,
Jim

12 minutes ago, theplains said:

I acknowledge my fallen nature and the need for the atonement but I don't wear anything in a symbolic gesture to cover my wickedness/nakedness that represents human effort (as in Adam and Eve's attempt, which God rejected).

Thanks, Jim. Naturally, I'm happy for you to remember and acknowledge your standing before the Lord in a way that suits you. 

On 7/22/2018 at 1:58 PM, theplains said:

From my evangelical perspective, I believe God never approved of Adam and Eve wearing the fig leaf
aprons (as it represented their effort to hide their nakedness and/or shame).  Wearing the fig leaf apron
any form of symbolic/religious aspect is therefore not approved of God.

As for the video depicting they were still allowed to remain the Garden to perform animal sacrifices, this is
not implied by scripture from what I can see.

Disobeying God in the Garden was not their only mistake.  Hiding was another mistake. This is in addition to
attempting to cover themselves instead of asking God how to fix things. This lead to another mistake - not
accepting responsibility for their actions (Adam blamed the woman and then God for giving him the woman).
Next, it was Eve - who blamed the serpent. Their original sin of disobedience began spreading its tentacles.
Adam's relationship with Eve and vice versa had changed (Genesis 3:16) and so did their relationship with
God.

Thanks,
Jim

Thanks for the reply, Jim.  This does not seem to be related to the parable in the OP however.  To me it is apparent the parable is saying if you are NOT clothed in some kind of official 'wedding garment' you are not welcome at the feast.   As an LDS person, I see a parallel to garment wearing, or at least temple clothing.  How do non-LDS christians interpret the garment that must be worn in the parable?

MP

10 hours ago, Maestrophil said:

As an LDS person, I see a parallel to garment wearing, or at least temple clothing.  How do non-LDS christians interpret the garment that must be worn in the parable?

MP

Hello MP,

See attached pdf file. It seems to represent the non-LDS view well. It also mentions Adam and Eve attempt to
cover their shame/nakedness without seeking God's guidance first.

Thanks,
Jim

wedding_feast_parable.pdf

14 hours ago, theplains said:

Hello MP,

See attached pdf file. It seems to represent the non-LDS view well. It also mentions Adam and Eve attempt to
cover their shame/nakedness without seeking God's guidance first.

Thanks,
Jim

wedding_feast_parable.pdf

So, according to this document, the clothes represent relying on the righteousness/grace of Jesus - having our robes washed white in His blood rather than wear our own 'coverings' for our unrighteousness.  Correct?  That makes sense.  Thank you for the link!

Edited by Maestrophil