Looking for Joseph F. Smith story

Duncan

I recall reading or hearing about a story about Joseph F. Smith when he was a very young missionary in Hawaii. As I recall he and his companion had their clothes in a shack away from where they lived, for whatever reason, but it somehow caught fire and all they had left was one suit between them. So, one day one elder would wear it and then the next day the other elder would wear until they were able to buy some proper stuff. Does this story sound familiar to anyone?

29 minutes ago, Duncan said:

I recall reading or hearing about a story about Joseph F. Smith when he was a very young missionary in Hawaii. As I recall he and his companion had their clothes in a shack away from where they lived, for whatever reason, but it somehow caught fire and all they had left was one suit between them. So, one day one elder would wear it and then the next day the other elder would wear until they were able to buy some proper stuff. Does this story sound familiar to anyone?

Does this work?

Edit to add a relevant quote from the article:

"While in Hawaii, Joseph experienced hardship after hardship. At one point in his mission, his apartment and all his belongings were consumed in a fire. The only thing he had left was his missionary certificate, which had been miraculously preserved. Because of the fire, Joseph and his companion only had one suit between the two of them. This situation called for a creative solution. Since both elders couldn’t proselyte at the same time, one would go out proselyting in the suit, while the other one stayed home. Then they would switch clothes and the other would begin his turn proselyting."

Edited by Okrahomer
26 minutes ago, Okrahomer said:

Does this work?

Edit to add a relevant quote from the article:

"While in Hawaii, Joseph experienced hardship after hardship. At one point in his mission, his apartment and all his belongings were consumed in a fire. The only thing he had left was his missionary certificate, which had been miraculously preserved. Because of the fire, Joseph and his companion only had one suit between the two of them. This situation called for a creative solution. Since both elders couldn’t proselyte at the same time, one would go out proselyting in the suit, while the other one stayed home. Then they would switch clothes and the other would begin his turn proselyting."

hhahhahahah yeah!!!! thank you!

Just now, Duncan said:

hhahhahahah yeah!!!! thank you!

It kind of reminds me of this old joke:

"There’s an old sea story about a ship’s Captain who inspected his sailors, and afterward told the first mate that his men smelled bad.

The Captain suggested perhaps it would help if the sailors would change underwear occasionally. The first mate responded, “Aye, aye sir, I’ll see to it immediately! ” The first mate went straight to the sailors berth deck and announced, “The Captain thinks you guys smell bad and wants you to change your underwear.” He continued, “Pittman, you change with Jones, McCarthy, you change with Witkowski, and Brown, you change with Schultz. Now GET TO IT!”

Can you imagine the trouble a missionary would get into today if they went out on their lonesome to teach??

My father told the story of one of his comps who wanted to save money so he hand washed his suit and then laid it out between the mattress and box springs of the bed to press it. Needless to say it was a disaster.