Seriously No Politics ×

Death during church activities

bsjkki

How many people do you know that have died while participating in church activities? I know of 2 and I know one who is a paraplegic due to a car accident on his mission. The other two died in car accidents while driving for youth activities.

49 minutes ago, bsjkki said:

How many people do you know that have died while participating in church activities? I know of 2 and I know one who is a paraplegic due to a car accident on his mission. The other two died in car accidents while driving for youth activities.

Define died.  There have been a few speakers where I wish...

I know of a broken leg and another with a broken collarbone (both sledding at youth activities iirc though decades apart and in different countries).  I have heard of deaths...mostly Boy Scouts, a few missionaries, but never knew people personally.

Just heard of missionaries being overeager and foolish and lucky they are alive.  Think their moms and dads will be having some words with the mission president.  Great story in 40 years time to the grandkids when it won't turn one's mom or future wife pale and shaky anymore.

Edited by Calm

I heard a speaker years ago say he was a witness to a man dying giving his talk in a Stake Conference. I think he was a Patriarch and he raised his hand to make a point and then fell back and he was probably dead before he hit the ground. Well, commotion ensued as you can well imagine!

I knew a young teenage girl who died during a sledding type activity with her ward. Also a boy who died jet skiing (I didn't know him personally, but it was in the news). I hate to be a fun sucker, but I do think many youth activities are inadequately supervised. It's a problem because there's always better attendance at exciting activities, but they need more trained adults to help with them.

I can’t find a news story to link to but personally know a woman died this week driving back from trek. Others in the car were injured but will be fine. I had a friend die along with two of his children driving driving for youth conference.

I personally remember one... When I was a teenager, we had the elders quorum fund-raising wood cutting project... we were a small and closely knit ward so this affected our ward deeply when during a Saturday's work one of the trees being cut fell the wrong way and hit and killed a much loved brother... a man in his early 30's, new father, ward youth leader... We all were shocked and saddened at this accident... they terminated the project of course....

GG

My son and his companion were mugged at knife point within the first week of his mission in Colombia (not sure what city).  He didn't tell me about it until much later. I think it was over pretty quickly before they could have secondary emotions while it was happening.  The mugger was a young man, kid maybe.  Neither missionary was injured and did what they had been instructed to do in those situations, which was give up their wallets etc as demanded.  He actually started laughing about it relatively soon after, saying, "I guess that's, welcome to Colombia!"

When I was a young woman going to girl's camp (Darby, in Idaho/Wyoming), there was some kind of log pull activity.  We were pulling a massive log--big as a car at least--upwards over a frame.  Maybe it was a teamwork activity, I don't know.  I can't remember if I actually watched it happen or if the images I have are reconstructions of what people told me.  But that log got out of control and fell down directly upon one girl's head.  She survived (after going to the hospital of course) and was "okay" (?) after recovering, but wow, scary.

I don't personally know anyone.  No major injuries either. A lot of smaller things like when I got a bad sprain by jamming my thumb into a basketball while playing in stake YW basketball or my son was overheated on trek (he wasn't following medical advice to drink more water etc) and ended up riding with the food and medical people instead of walking.

While on a Father's and sons outing a young man drowned while wading along the edge of a river. The ground suddenly gave out from under him and he was pulled in.
He did not know how to swim, and even though there were a couple of others in a boat near by who tried to save him they were unable to get him and he disappeared under the water.
The Sunday before that while talking about the upcoming event, members asked whether or not they should go in the river as part of the ativity.
The Bishop thought for a moment and said, we better plan on not going into the river this time, as if he had just received a revelation on the matter...
It was unfortunate a few did not heed the council.

My uncle was 9 when he drowned at the ward pioneer picnic. My grandpa took the kids by himself and had warned him to stay out of the water. A few years ago, I met the man (who was a teen back then) who was the last one to see him. He cried as he told me he saw him, told him to go to his dad where everyone else was (by a campfire) and he told him no. He has carried the guilt all of these years that he didn't make him do it. Anyway, he probably just decided to wade in the lake, but there was a drop off.  My uncle said when they couldn't find him after searching many hours, my grandpa sat down on a log and just cried. He knew he was gone. :( 

I've also known people who almost died at activities and were very fortunate they didn't. 

I don't know anyone personally but remember when my husband was in Young Men's and they went on a youth boating trip where our ward's youth had to witness another youth, not in our ward, being pulled out of the lake who had drowned that evening. :( Then my friend's parents who were on a senior mission in Florida, were close friends with another senior missionary couple or maybe it was single sisters, can't recall, that were both killed in car accident, luckily they weren't in the vehicle too. 

On 7/14/2018 at 9:58 PM, bsjkki said:

How many people do you know that have died while participating in church activities?

I have been in a couple of wards where there were serious medical emergencies, but none ever resulted in death. 

On July 15, 2018 at 8:59 AM, Maidservant said:

When I was a young woman going to girl's camp (Darby, in Idaho/Wyoming), there was some kind of log pull activity.  We were pulling a massive log--big as a car at least--upwards over a frame.  Maybe it was a teamwork activity, I don't know.  I can't remember if I actually watched it happen or if the images I have are reconstructions of what people told me.  But that log got out of control and fell down directly upon one girl's head.  She survived (after going to the hospital of course) and was "okay" (?) after recovering, but wow, scary.

Darby is also known for the girls who died in a freak lightning strike in 1951.