Seriously No Politics ×

Utah's favorite cookie

JAHS

My favorite cookies will always have nuts in them: my wife's carrot cookies are my most favorite, then her chocolate chip with either walnuts or pecans, my one exception to my nut rule is her ginger snaps.  Through the roof; each of them.

Weird.  I have never made nor been given pumpkin cookies with or without that I can remember since being here (15 years next month).  Never even heard of them (with that frosting), lol.

Edited by Calm
3 hours ago, JAHS said:

IMHO. If it doesn't have chocolate chips in it, it's not a cookie.

I don't think I'd go that far.

But a cookie with raisins in it is an abomination, in my humble opinion.

1 hour ago, Stargazer said:

I don't think I'd go that far.

But a cookie with raisins in it is an abomination, in my humble opinion.

Yes!  I hate biting into a raisin cookie that I thought looked like a chocolate chip cookie.  IMPOSTOR !!! 

2 hours ago, Calm said:

Weird.  I have never made nor been given pumpkin cookies with or without that I can remember since being here (15 years next month).  Never even heard of them (with that frosting), lol.

Same here.  Never had a pumpkin cookie, with or without frosting.  First I've heard of such a thing.

1 hour ago, bluebell said:

My friends in northern Utah are always going on and on about the wonders of scotcharoo cookie bars.  I have never had one and had never heard of it until we moved here.  Do other places have them?

If they are the same scotcharoos that are made with Rice Krispies, Karo syrup, and peanut butter and then topped with 1/2 semi-sweet chocolate chips and 1/2 butterscotch chips.  We got 'em and we love 'em.  They are atrociously addictive things. We started making them in about 1967 in Alaska and have never stopped. 

1 minute ago, Storm Rider said:

If they are the same scotcharoos that are made with Rice Krispies, Karo syrup, and peanut butter and then topped with 1/2 semi-sweet chocolate chips and 1/2 butterscotch chips.  We got 'em and we love 'em.  They are atrociously addictive things. We started making them in about 1967 in Alaska and have never stopped. 

They might be! I've never had them.  :D 

25 minutes ago, Calm said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotcheroos

I don't like butterscotch...make it caramel and leave out the chocolate (sniff 😪) and I might try them (they sound too sweet for my taste though).

They are sweet and the butterscotch is tempered by the chocolate - I have seen people make them with milk chocolate chips and that is too sweet for my preference. 

Though we do make them year round, it is always a fun treat when the extended family gets together. It brings back memories from our much younger days and the grandchildren and children have become scotcheroo fiends also. 

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, mnn727 said:

Chocolate Chip is the only True cookie.

Oh and P.S.  Real cookies do NOT have frosting on them -- cakes have frosting.

Chocolate chip is the true AMERICAN cookie.  Other countries have other just as good options. 

One of the few “big” things in the town where I grew up was a VA hospital.  In the days before there were any LDS  Stakes in Oklahoma, my Dad served as Branch President.  Because of that, sometimes my folks would welcome visiting members of the Church into our home whose spouses were being treated at the VA.  I will always remember “Sister Carter” who stayed with us for a few weeks while her husband was being treated at the end of his life.

Sister Carter was a kind grandmotherly Latter-day Saint, and we were kind of buddies.  Sister Carter made Snickerdoodles, and I thought I had never tasted anything so good.  Although I might have had a moment or two in the years since when I found chocolate-chipism extremely appealing; deep down, Sister Carter won me over forever.  I am a true blue snickerdoodle-ite.

11 hours ago, JLHPROF said:

Chocolate chip is the true AMERICAN cookie.  Other countries have other just as good options. 

Any country that doesn't hold the Chocolate Chip cookie as the one and only true cookie, are heathens.

On 7/5/2018 at 9:55 PM, Okrahomer said:

One of the few “big” things in the town where I grew up was a VA hospital.  In the days before there were any LDS  Stakes in Oklahoma, my Dad served as Branch President.  Because of that, sometimes my folks would welcome visiting members of the Church into our home whose spouses were being treated at the VA.  I will always remember “Sister Carter” who stayed with us for a few weeks while her husband was being treated at the end of his life.

Sister Carter was a kind grandmotherly Latter-day Saint, and we were kind of buddies.  Sister Carter made Snickerdoodles, and I thought I had never tasted anything so good.  Although I might have had a moment or two in the years since when I found chocolate-chipism extremely appealing; deep down, Sister Carter won me over forever.  I am a true blue snickerdoodle-ite.

Love Snickerdoodles! 

I lived in Utah 30 some years and never saw those. A couple of times I've had pumpkin cookies made with just pumpkin and cake mix or something like that (some weight watchers kind of thing), but never like the recipe they showed and never with frosting.

I'm not a big fan or chocolate chip unless it is the cook's illustrated recipe made with milk chocolate chips (the butter is browned). Most times I would rather a craisin oatmeal or a lemon cookie.

Edited by Rain

Almond coconut bars are my fav. (Old Betty Crocker cookbook recipe gently removed and placed in the updated edition I got several years ago to replace the wedding present that was falling apart).

Edited by Calm