Seriously No Politics ×

Sugar addictions prominent in Mormon culture

JAHS

"This problem is common among Mormons, according to BYU physiology and developmental biology professor Benjamin Bikman.
Mormons are known for not partaking of addictive substances such as coffee, tea, alcohol or illegal drugs, but often find themselves instead consuming sugar for similar reasons people consume the addictive substances listed above.
Bikman has closely studied the impact of obesity, diabetes and insulin on metabolic health. Bikman said sugar is harmful and consumption of it should be controlled.
Bikman compared Mormons eating sugar at social gatherings with the way people outside the church consume alcohol at social gatherings.
“It’s almost impossible to think of having a Mormon gathering without some junk food,” Bikman said. “Just like it’s impossible for people who aren’t members of the church to imagine getting together without alcohol, we have replaced one with the other.”
Bikman said he cringes when he sees people lined up at the drive-thru of popular soda shops at 8 a.m. because he knows the impact that much sugar will have on their bodies. Eating sugar and starches, particularly in large amounts throughout the day, spikes insulin drastically and slows the metabolism, according to Bikman. This contributes greatly to the body’s production of fat.
Bikman said it’s important to create limits with sugar and recognize where sugar might be hiding in the foods you eat each day. He said even common foods like ketchup, peanut butter, pickles and bacon often have sugar as an ingredient.

Sugar addictions prominent in Mormon culture

Is it a sugar "addiction"?   I have noticed that in the last ten years, many common foods have become too sweet for me.    I get original and sugared cereal and combine them half and half and that is enough.  I make various foods that I otherwise would have eaten canned or bottled, because they are made too sweet.   I cannot eat the donuts I've loved my whole life because there is too much glaze and the glaze is waaaay too sweet.   (I've wondered if the is something that happens to taste buds as time passes, but have never seen any reports of such: I think that manufacturers think they are responding to customers, and therefore do things that drive away customers.)

Yes, I absolutely think that we serve too many donuts at church activities (and in workplaces for that matter)(and perhaps if that is the ONLY time in a month we eat one, it wouldn't be a cause for concern).    But desserts are easier to take to the potluck, now aren't they?  

1 hour ago, rpn said:

Is it a sugar "addiction"?

I don't consider myself addicted to sugar. I can't eat those super sweet glazed donuts either. But I do have a major weakness for chocolate. 

I have learned in the past few years that overconsumption of sugars (especially the highly refined or processed kind) can cause inflammation of the blood vessels.  The body attempts to moderate the effects by repairing the blood vessel walls with cholesterol.  The effects can be seen with the spiking of cholesterol production (spiking also occurs with insulin) in response to consumption of sugars.

My doctor has tried to get me on statin drugs to control the cholesterol level.  I did some research then asked him why is the medical profession treating the "symptom" with drugs when it should deal directly with the underlying cause?  Should we focus on improving our diet by reducing the amount of sugar ( as well as various other toxins and petrochemicals)?  I refused to fill the prescription.  My doctor seems strangely deflated (as if he will not be getting as much incentives for pushing this "medicine" promoted by the pharmaceutical companies).

My wife and I are carefully trying to avoid buying products that contain too much sugars, salt, artificial ingredients and toxins.  We have zero tolerance for HFCS (high fructose corn syrup) and artificial sweeteners (some are made from highly diluted nerve gas components).  Many cannot be properly metabolized in the body.

1 hour ago, The Nehor said:
2 hours ago, katherine the great said:

Humans like their vices. If not one thing then another. 🤷‍♀️

If God did not want us to have vices he would have designed our bodies and the world a little bit better.

yoda.jpg.74665942e33c7b0f9fbf5f94def91e61.jpg

22 hours ago, JAHS said:

Mormons are known for not partaking of addictive substances such as coffee, tea, alcohol or illegal drugs, but often find themselves instead consuming sugar for similar reasons people consume the addictive substances listed above.

I don't partake of addictive substances mainly because of the gospel, but also (not insignificantly) because most of them are gross.

I've never had a beer in my life, but if it tastes anything close to how it smells...sorry, but I'm out.

Ice cream, chocolates, truffles, etc. on the other hand - those are all flippin' delicious. :)

12 minutes ago, Amulek said:

I've never had a beer in my life, but if it tastes anything close to how it smells...sorry, but I'm out.

Ice cream, chocolates, truffles, etc. on the other hand - those are all flippin' delicious. :)

Same for me, and include coffee in the things I don't like the taste of. 

Prior to one of my daughters getting married she asked if I could lose weight. I gave up sugar. No soda drinks candy. I have fruit on my cereal. Some time later I had to make a few holes in my belt as I lost weight. I have no desire for sugar drinks. What you buy in MacDonalds is junk. I eat a lot of salads. I found on weekends for lunch I have fish with a large salad  of lettuce. tomato avocado  onion capsicum. I find this meal improves my mood and gives me lots of energy. 

Forgive me, "sugar addictions". If there were such a thing and Mormonism leads to it due to doctrine and policy, then every child in the world must be "repressed Mormons". On the bright side, look at the billions of potential missionaries that are waiting in the wings. :rofl:

I CAN STOP ANYTIME I WANT TO.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/6/2018 at 8:55 AM, rpn said:

Yes, I absolutely think that we serve too many donuts at church activities

25 years a member and I've never had (or even seen) a donut at a Church Activity.

Edited by mnn727
1 hour ago, mnn727 said:

25 years a member and I've never had (or even seen) a donut at a Church Activity.

Neither have I.  My dad occasionally brought them as a seminary teacher one year, but other than that...

On 6/5/2018 at 8:48 PM, The Nehor said:

Not just a Mormon problem.

dc152ffc604e7c048bf40aeb00ccfb9a.jpg

Remember those evil and designing men the Word of Wisdom warned us about?

This seems to be an American phenomenon. Recently, we had a friend visit us from the UK.  She was surprised by the size of the means that were served in the local restaurants.  

Green Jello is a gateway drug.  The church needs to get it's legal team to do a hit piece on green Jello.  That will solve the problem.

On 6/6/2018 at 2:56 PM, JAHS said:

Same for me, and include coffee in the things I don't like the taste of. 

I smile at this because I am not a coffee drinker...unless I am sick and can't taste anything...but I loved postum...all my life..do they still make it..and under mormon standards is that okay?  Because  my Dad got me hooked on postum!!