Seriously No Politics ×

My one rant about Utah

Everything closes at like 5 or 6 at night, even on the weekends, which really cuts down on date night choices!  I don't get it?  Museums, all the zoos, the aquarium, even the church history museum, closes so early.  What do these people have against adults who might want to do some of these activities without our kids! 😫

41 minutes ago, bluebell said:

Everything closes at like 5 or 6 at night, even on the weekends, which really cuts down on date night choices!  I don't get it?  Museums, all the zoos, the aquarium, even the church history museum, closes so early.  What do these people have against adults who might want to do some of these activities without our kids! 😫

Yeah.  We've noticed the same thing; however, if your date night is on a Friday, then the Church History Museum is actually open until 9 pm.  (Church History Museum Hours:  Monday-Friday 9 a.m. - 9 p.m.; Saturday 10 am - 5 pm; Closed Sunday.)

MoHo

Edited by Okrahomer
37 minutes ago, bluebell said:

You could go to the Church History Museum on Friday night.

Hours

Monday through Friday: 9 a.m.–9 p.m.
Saturday: 10 a.m.–5 p.m.
Closed Sunday

https://history.lds.org/article/visiting-the-museum?lang=eng

1 hour ago, bluebell said:

That must exclude a lot of families who can't go until after working hours, too. 

42 minutes ago, bluebell said:

We do date nights on Saturday, but that's good to know!

Just checking other museums

New York Museum of Natural History closes at 5:45 every day

The Metropolitan Museum in New York closes at 5:30

The Field Museum in Chicago closes at 5:00

The Natural History Museum in London closes at 5:00

The Gugenheim in New York does stay open until 7:45 on Saturdays, but closes at 5:45 otherwise

The Church History Museum staying open until 9 on weeknights seems to be the exception compared to these other prestigious museums. 

Edit to add:  The Monterey Bay Aquarium closes at 5:00 daily

Edited by ksfisher
43 minutes ago, ksfisher said:

Just checking other museums

New York Museum of Natural History closes at 5:45 every day

The Metropolitan Museum in New York closes at 5:30

The Field Museum in Chicago closes at 5:00

The Natural History Museum in London closes at 5:00

The Gugenheim in New York does stay open until 7:45 on Saturdays, but closes at 5:45 otherwise

The Church History Museum staying open until 9 on weeknights seems to be the exception compared to these other prestigious museums. 

Edit to add:  The Monterey Bay Aquarium closes at 5:00 daily

So, it's a rant about most states.  I wasn't trying to besmirch Utah's reputation. I just think it's incredibly dumb.

1 minute ago, bluebell said:

So, it's a rant about most states.  I wasn't trying to besmirch Utah's reputation. I just think it's incredibly dumb.

I think it's just economics.  Museums don't stay open during times when people don't come.

Well..my husband and I never lived close to the city...so we had the bowling alley..we did that..but I think looking back, we had some wonderful evenings (weekend time) just taking a long hike and picnic.  Just quiet..and put a blanket out and had a nice meal.  Sometimes we would ride to clover creek about 10 miles away and barbecue some scout dinners.  When we went Christmas shopping, we would make the big trip to SLC and spend the night and be Santa the next day...we had a blast.

I think it is great that you do this for eachother.  No matter what take time for yourselves..it will be the little things that you will remember.

Edited by Jeanne
28 minutes ago, ksfisher said:

I think it's just economics.  Museums don't stay open during times when people don't come.

Utah actually might get more...people looking for cheap dates who don't want to go bar hopping or dancing, but the PTBs have assumed that the traffic will be comparable for other cities that have a different population level so never bothered to see.

Otoh, walkins may not provide much income stream usually and they may be extremely dependent on school and other organizations' field trips.  If so, security costs for walkins at night just wouldn't be worth it, even if they could get volunteers to cover (which I bet they could, especially if they had taped tours so all that was needed was to provide directions to drinking fountains, restrooms, and the museum store).

Edited by Calm
29 minutes ago, Calm said:

Otoh, walkins may not provide much income stream

They don't.

29 minutes ago, Calm said:

extremely dependent on school and other organizations' field trips

Yes.

30 minutes ago, Calm said:

if they could get volunteers to cover (which I bet they could,

I think this would be very difficult to do during evening hours.

My wife has been in the museum/exhibit business for most of the time we've been married.

5 hours ago, bluebell said:

I love Museums, I could live in one if they would let me. Once while visiting the "Church History Museum", after having introduced myself, I was given a tour (they give them to all), and the tour guides are either older missionaries, or volunteers. After three hours, my tour guide who was getting impatient said to me, "Bro Lee, (it is Lee, right). I have five people waiting for me for lunch, and one of them is my wife"! I apologized, and after him leaving I stayed alone for two more hours. My family left as well, telling me where I could find them. They were visiting with friends in the Genealogy Library from our Ward back home.  

22 minutes ago, poptart said:

Get into the outdoors, guns, bows etc.  That's what I did when I got bored/too old to go clubbing, best decision ever as far as entertainment goes.  The class of people you meet is outstanding. 

I agree, outdoor stuff if fun.  We do a lot of that.  Not many places to shoot around here though if you aren't a part of a club.  We're used to Wyoming where you can drive 10 minutes in practically any direction and find dozen of places to target practice.  :) 

2 minutes ago, bluebell said:

I agree, outdoor stuff if fun.  We do a lot of that.  Not many places to shoot around here though if you aren't a part of a club.  We're used to Wyoming where you can drive 10 minutes in practically any direction and find dozen of places to target practice.  :) 

This link has a few ideas, and I noticed on weekdays some are opened until 8:00 p.m. 

http://www.co.davis.ut.us/sheriff/shooting-laws-and-facts/shooting-ranges

Also, check out Okrahoma's post about the exhibit at the Church Museum on Social. It's wonderful, I think it was there before, because I remember seeing it a year or so ago. 

Wow, Utah really has changed.  Here in CO it's even worse, the places to shoot keep disppearing.  Game plan for me is once i've wrapped things up here i'm going North, very far north.  My old neiborhood in Anchorage hasn't really changed since the 90's. 

4 hours ago, ksfisher said:

I think this would be very difficult to do during evening hours.

My wife has been in the museum/exhibit business for most of the time we've been married.

I get the impression that the 'after hours' revenue stream for many of these venues comes from private events (e.g., weddings, corporate parties, etc.).

3 hours ago, Amulek said:

I get the impression that the 'after hours' revenue stream for many of these venues comes from private events (e.g., weddings, corporate parties, etc.).

I don’t know about that.  I do know that ticket sales don’t come anywhere close to covering expenses for most. 

You could do your Saturday date in the afternoon. My husband I switched to SaturDAY years ago and love it. Meals are cheaper. There are fewer crowds. Most activities happen earlier on Saturday so we didn't have conflicts most weeks. 

Edited by Rain
9 hours ago, Rain said:

You could do your Saturday date in the afternoon. My husband I switched to SATURDAY years ago and love it. Meals are cheaper. There are fewer crowds. Most activities happen earlier on Saturday so we didn't have conflicts most weeks. 

That doesn't work for our family right now but it's a good idea for when the babies are older!

• 4 weeks later...