Laurel vs Yanni, Dangit

I keep hearing "Lanny."  I must be funny. ;) :D 

When listening to the clip on my cell phone speakers, I was only able to hear Laurel and my wife could only hear Yanny. 

Interestingly, our daughter could only hear Yanny as well...until she took her hearing aids out; then she could only hear Laurel. Our six year old boy said he could hear both.

When I played the clip on my computer speakers though (which are, comparatively, orders of magnitude better than my cell phone), I was able to hear both words clearly. 

Also, the dress was obviously blue. ;)

According to Snopes, those of you who can hear "Yanny" are hearing things. :D :rofl: https://www.snopes.com/news/2018/05/16/why-laurel-why-yanny/

The New York Times (and remember, the Times's slogan is, "All the news that's fit to print and even some that's not) has waded into the "Yanny vs. Laurel" debate and has set up a tool whereby those of us who hear only one or the other can hear the name we don't initially here by moving a sliding indicator in one direction or the other ("Yanny" is to the left and "Laurel" is to the right.)  I can only hear "Laurel" when the sliding indicator is in the center, but if I move it one space to the right I can hear "Yanny" ... for what it's worth. ;)  (And I apologize for jumping on "Snopes's" gaslighting bandwagon by implying that those of you who hear "Yanny" are a few fries short of a Happy Meal ... :D

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/05/16/upshot/audio-clip-yanny-laurel-debate.html

7 hours ago, Kenngo1969 said:

The New York Times (and remember, the Times's slogan is, "All the news that's fit to print and even some that's not) has waded into the "Yanny vs. Laurel" debate and has set up a tool whereby those of us who hear only one or the other can hear the name we don't initially here by moving a sliding indicator in one direction or the other ("Yanny" is to the left and "Laurel" is to the right.)  I can only hear "Laurel" when the sliding indicator is in the center, but if I move it one space to the right I can hear "Yanny" ... for what it's worth. ;)  (And I apologize for jumping on "Snopes's" gaslighting bandwagon by implying that those of you who hear "Yanny" are a few fries short of a Happy Meal ... :D

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/05/16/upshot/audio-clip-yanny-laurel-debate.html

The video I posted does explain why one hears one and not the other. Rather well, I thought.  

4 hours ago, Stargazer said:

The video I posted does explain why one hears one and not the other. Rather well, I thought.  

I guess I'm dense, because it didn't explain that to me, still wondering why my son heard Yanni and I heard Laurel while both listening to the same thing, the same time the other day, the day it all went down. I just now went to the website you are referring and this time I heard Yanni all the way to the left until the very left edge, then I heard Laurel. 

On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 10:51 AM, Tacenda said:

...still wondering why my son heard Yanni and I heard Laurel while both listening to the same thing...

My guess is that your speakers have some low frequency deficiency which tips the scale towards "Yanni" for your son, whose high frequency hearing is still intact, but you have enough high frequency hearing loss to tip the scale towards "Laurel" for you. 

The "Yanni" is mostly high frequency sound, so if your speakers are good at reproducing high frequencies but poor at reproducing low frequencies, and/or if you still have your high frequency hearing (which generally deteriorates with age), you are likely to hear "Yanni". 

The "Laurel" is mostly low frequency sound, so if your speakers are good at reproducing low frequencies but poor at reproducing high frequencies, and/or if you have significant high frequency hearing loss, you are likely to hear "Laurel".

If your speakers are good across the board, and if your hearing is still good, you are likely able to hear both.  If your speakers are good across the board but you have significant high frequency hearing loss, you are likely to only hear "Laurel".

In general, females have better high-frequency hearing than males, and usually men have sustained more hearing loss during their lives than women (more time spent around loud machinery, loud music, loud guns, and many men fail to protect their hearing for various stupid reasons).  But there can be enormous variation from one individual to the next. 

It sounds to me like the "Yanni" has a lot of energy in the vicinity of 4 kHz, which is where normal hearing is most sensitive.  But that is also the frequency region most likely to be damaged by a strong sound impulse (like a gunshot), as the little hair-like receptors for that region are in the first turn of the cochlea, which takes the brunt of blasts.  When those little cells are killed, they do not come back. 

Sorry for the long-winded response, my day job deals with acoustics and psychoacoustics, and brevity is not part of my job description. 

Edited by Eek!
23 minutes ago, Eek! said:

My guess is that your speakers have some low frequency deficiency which tips the scale towards "Yanni" for your son, whose high frequency hearing is still intact, but you have enough high frequency hearing loss to tip the scale towards "Laurel" for you. 

The "Yanni" is mostly high frequency sound, so if your speakers are good at reproducing high frequencies but poor at reproducing low frequencies, and/or if you still have your high frequency hearing (which generally deteriorates with age), you are likely to hear "Yanni". 

The "Laurel" is mostly low frequency sound, so if your speakers are good at reproducing low frequencies but poor at reproducing high frequencies, and/or if you have significant high frequency hearing loss, you are likely to hear "Laurel".

If your speakers are good across the board, and if your hearing is still good, you are likely able to hear both.  If your speakers are good across the board but you have significant high frequency hearing loss, you are likely to only hear "Laurel".

In general, females have better high-frequency hearing than males, and usually men have sustained more hearing loss during their lives than women (more time spent around loud machinery, loud music, loud guns, and many men fail to protect their hearing for various stupid reasons).  But there can be enormous variation from one individual to the next. 

It sounds to me like the "Yanni" has a lot of energy in the vicinity of 4 kHz, which is where normal hearing is most sensitive.  But that is also the frequency region most likely to be damaged by a strong sound impulse (like a gunshot), as the little hair-like receptors for that region are in the first turn of the cochlea, which takes the brunt of blasts.  When those little cells are killed, they do not come back. 

Sorry for the long-winded response, my day job deals with acoustics and psychoacoustics, and brevity is not part of my job description. 

You are awesome eek, sounds about right! 

51 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

You are awesome eek, sounds about right! 

Thank you so much!

Often women who have a lot of high frequency hearing loss got it by listening to a lot of loud music.  Music (especially live music) is less likely to make our ears hurt than are other equally loud sounds, but the damage piles up just the same whether we feel the hurt or not.  My hearing has never been the same since a Duran Duran concert where I forgot my earplugs.   I should have left but didn't want to offend the people who had bought the tickets for my wife and me.  Stupid of me!

Also, there is a huge range of susceptibility to hearing loss (my wife's hearing was not affected by the aforementions Duran Duran concert).  Some people can shoot without hearing protection for decades and still have the hearing of a 20-year-old, but many will have some permanent loss from a single un-protected gunshot.  Whenever you see a TV show with an indoor shootout, or someone shooting from inside a car, in real life more than likely everyone in the room or car would have significant permanent hearing loss.  Gunshots indoors are far more damaging than gunshots outdoors because the reflections combine to often deliver more energy to the ears than the initial blast did.  

If the day ever comes that you or a loved one need hearing aids, imo it's worth the extra bucks to get them for both ears.  The ear/brain system uses both ears to localize sound sources, and if you only can only hear with one ear, you will be unable to selectively focus your hearing on one particular voice in a room with multiple people talking at the same time.   This ability, which we get from binaural (both ears) hearing, is know as the "cocktail party effect", but it might also be called the "milling in the foyer effect".   

Edited by Eek!

Not my fault the guy can't say Laurel right. 

18 hours ago, Eek! said:

Thank you so much!

Often women who have a lot of high frequency hearing loss got it by listening to a lot of loud music.  Music (especially live music) is less likely to make our ears hurt than are other equally loud sounds, but the damage piles up just the same whether we feel the hurt or not.  My hearing has never been the same since a Duran Duran concert where I forgot my earplugs.   I should have left but didn't want to offend the people who had bought the tickets for my wife and me.  Stupid of me!

Also, there is a huge range of susceptibility to hearing loss (my wife's hearing was not affected by the aforementions Duran Duran concert).  Some people can shoot without hearing protection for decades and still have the hearing of a 20-year-old, but many will have some permanent loss from a single un-protected gunshot.  Whenever you see a TV show with an indoor shootout, or someone shooting from inside a car, in real life more than likely everyone in the room or car would have significant permanent hearing loss.  Gunshots indoors are far more damaging than gunshots outdoors because the reflections combine to often deliver more energy to the ears than the initial blast did.  

If the day ever comes that you or a loved one need hearing aids, imo it's worth the extra bucks to get them for both ears.  The ear/brain system uses both ears to localize sound sources, and if you only can only hear with one ear, you will be unable to selectively focus your hearing on one particular voice in a room with multiple people talking at the same time.   This ability, which we get from binaural (both ears) hearing, is know as the "cocktail party effect", but it might also be called the "milling in the foyer effect".   

I have noticed since my tinnitus increased so much (probably due to medication) that I have a much harder time telling where sounds are coming from.  I can be staring directly at my phone with its alarm going off and it sounds like it is to the right of me.

2 hours ago, Calm said:

I have noticed since my tinnitus increased so much (probably due to medication) that I have a much harder time telling where sounds are coming from.  I can be staring directly at my phone with its alarm going off and it sounds like it is to the right of me.

Oh, my.  I've got the tinnitus thing, too, but it hasn't progressed to that point, yet.  The wife and I were in the temple the other day, sitting in the Celestial Room contemplating the universe.  It was very quiet, but because of the quiet the pesky constant hissing stood out more than usual.  Normally I don't notice it, but environmental quietude is gone from me.  When I think about it.  Like right now.  <ssssssssssss> 

That is the way mine used to be, though sometimes it would 'translate' to music...which I miss.  The brain is an interesting mechanism with what it does trying to make sense out of what gets inputted.  Now I don't think people are calling my name when I am half asleep anymore, startling me awake, so that is nice.  I apparently fell out of the crib a couple of times as I was a climber, also cracked my head nicely against the dashboard in a car accident when I was 13.  After that was when I first noticed it.  Tylenol makes it like I am inside a bell for like the past 25 years, so I avoid that as much as possible.

Synthyroid is known for increasing tinnitus and it is not likely I will ever get off of it, unless perhaps I get a chance to use CBD oil as Tacenda has mentioned that helped her.  I take enough other drugs and reacted weirdly to what should be benign supplements like Bcomplexes with anxiety attacks, so I am not going to add anything to the mix without doctor supervision.  Just grateful it is still at the ignorable stage as long as I sleep with rain or wind sounds or on bad days, people talking.  iPad is useful for that as I can try different sounds until I find the one that works.

I am going to be very grateful for a perfected body I have control over.

The only really big thing that annoys me about it is here I live in a semirural place where I could be enjoying the sounds of nature and instead I have to always have something making noise.  In Canada, though on a quiet culdesac we backed on a busy road, so I didn't feel I was missing anything not hearing the nonstop cars and busses.

Edited by Calm
15 minutes ago, strappinglad said:

I was about 3 feet from the muzzle blast of a 300 magnum rifle. One ear lost a bunch of high frequency range instantly. Laurel it is.

I drove my jeep (well, the Army's jeep) in front of an artillery battery once when a 105mm cannon unexpectedly fired. Oh, wow that hurt. I was about 100 meters from the gun, but that distance didnt help much. 

On 5/21/2018 at 8:34 PM, Kenngo1969 said:

When I move it all the way to the right I hear "Gary" not Yanny

1 hour ago, JAHS said:

When I move it all the way to the right I hear "Gary" not Yanny

When I first listened to it on a computer and I moved it all the way to the right, I heard "Yanni."  When I did the same thing on my phone just now, I heard "Gary," too ... But that probably means that I'm somply highly suggestible to your spell for some reason.  😀