Seriously No Politics ×

Part member families

I've mentioned before that. Wife isn't a member of the Church. However after this past conference I've been pondering a lot. I feel the desire to invite the Spirit into our homes more. I'm not entirely sure how to do that since I know some things are limited to our mutual agreement.

Anyone have any advice?

3 hours ago, Avatar4321 said:

I've mentioned before that. Wife isn't a member of the Church. However after this past conference I've been pondering a lot. I feel the desire to invite the Spirit into our homes more. I'm not entirely sure how to do that since I know some things are limited to our mutual agreement.

Anyone have any advice?

Do you pray and/or read the scriptures/bible together as a family?  Would she be open to that?

Did you tell her that this last conference inspired you to want to be more Christlike and you would like her to brainstorm with you things you might do together to that end.   Or maybe you just start seeking opportunities for service in the community that she'd agree to do with you.   Maybe you ask her if you could invite a family in your neighborhood or congregation over for FHE once Monday a month?

I would not know how you would want to do this...but no matter what..(and I know you will) put respect first.  Ask her what moves her and/or if there is music or someplace where she would be open to having a spiritual experience that could be shared. It is so possible..I have felt the spirit in many ways in many places..you need to find that place where you are open..sharing..and experience a same joy. 

1 hour ago, Jeanne said:

I would not know how you would want to do this...but no matter what..(and I know you will) put respect first.  Ask her what moves her and/or if there is music or someplace where she would be open to having a spiritual experience that could be shared. It is so possible..I have felt the spirit in many ways in many places..you need to find that place where you are open..sharing..and experience a same joy. 

You have a great and honest heart, Jeanne.

10 hours ago, Avatar4321 said:

Anyone have any advice?

I'm also married to a non-member.  For your own personal behavior/spirituality/walk inviting the Spirit more into your life will automatically invite it more into your home.  This is a good thing.  

If you're talking about doing more things as a couple/family, say for example scripture study, that certainly is an option.  However I would make triple-sure to always be respecting your wife and her wishes.  If somethings are limited in your agreement, is there something else you can do instead?  

For example, my husband gets sad if I spend all weekend at church, so I keep my in-church-building commitments small.  When General Conference comes along, I typically focus-mode having lots of family time that weekend and listen to Conference when I'm by myself-- that way I'm making both my husband happy, and still getting to listen to Conference (just not live).  

Edited by Jane_Doe
13 hours ago, Avatar4321 said:

I’m going to start daily scripture reading. Never did that before in the family setting so I’m not sure how that works

The difficult thing for us was trying to find a time when we were all together (especially as my kids got older).  I don't know your family dynamics (if you have kids and if so, their ages).

Kids don't always have the best attitude when you attempt to call them away from what they're doing. so that you can all read scriptures together.  Try to do it at a time you're already all gathered together.  We always tried to be home for dinner and eat around a dinner table together (discuss the day, etc.).  That was a huge priority for myself and my wife....and the kids learned this from a very young age too.  

So, we read scriptures as soon as we were done eating and were still sitting together around the table.  That worked well for us.  We had all of our scriptures on a shelf right near the table and just passed them out as we were finishing up eating.

We also never made it a long, lengthy ordeal (which is how many kids feel about it).  We each read a few scriptures and then had a brief discussion about it.  We tried to get through a chapter a night, but if we didn't, that was ok too.

As the kids got older of course, this became more difficult to do (with involvement in sports, etc.), but we continued our regular routine with those who were home for dinner.  It worked well for us.

I'd also suggest reading the Bible first maybe (unless she is interested in and open to reading the BofM or D&C).  Remember that spiritual feelings are not synonymous with religious or Mormon feelings.  One can be spiritual and not be religious or a Mormon.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!!  

Edited by ALarson

As a teen we would get up at 5:30 and read. Then the older kids went to Seminary, dad went to work, and the rest went back to sleep.

I learned to count ahead to where we would be when it was my turn to read, put my finger there, and dozed off so ai knew where to start when I got woken up. Did it work? I think so. All seven of their children are still faithful and all still like each other.