Seriously No Politics ×

The Atlantic has a nice article about Family Home Evening

bsjkki

I thought others might enjoy reading this. https://www.theatlantic.com/family/archive/2018/03/mormon-family-home-evening/556658/?utm_source=feed Ultimately, what seems to matter most about family home evening is not the specific rituals, but that there are rituals at all—that a family decides to set aside a specific time of the week to gather and have a meaningful experience together. Is there perfection in such a family ritual? Never. Is there some effort, hassle, friction, and chaos? Almost always. But is there sometimes a spark of transcendent magic? In truth, it’s rare. But the next family home evening might just be one of those nights.

Edited by bsjkki

When I was little..I used to look forward to FHE...it seems like as a family..all we did is work and school.  (We were janitors in the evening for the school district)..it was chaos and Mom and Dad sometimes just weren't getting along..but FHE..it was the games..and planning the dessert..we took turns with lessons ..at the time I didn't think much of it all..but now looking back..it was the only thing that saved us for so long.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2018 at 8:28 AM, Jeanne said:

When I was little..I used to look forward to FHE...it seems like as a family..all we did is work and school.  (We were janitors in the evening for the school district)..it was chaos and Mom and Dad sometimes just weren't getting along..but FHE..it was the games..and planning the dessert..we took turns with lessons ..at the time I didn't think much of it all..but now looking back..it was the only thing that saved us for so long.

Ahhh. Memories!

My wife and I were graveyard shift janitors for two years at the Richards Building at BYU (PE, swimming pool, dance floors, basketball courts, racquetball courts). I got her the job when we were dating (both of us were looking for a second job, and I got her in as a non-student), and we became the shift supervisors. 

My senior year of high school, my dad lost his job and my mom, dad, and I cleaned several businesses, sometimes until 2:00 or 3:00 in the morning. More than being tired, I remember feeling really good that I could help the family income, and my overall good impressions from this experience led me to seek out graveyard janitorial in college. I figured, I'm tired all the time, anyway. Might as well be just as tired, but earn some money. Shoveling walks at 3:00 AM is really peaceful, too! :) 

Whenever college students complain about lack of jobs, I ask them, "Have you tried being a janitor? There are always openings, especially at night." And, if you're good, you will get promotions and pay raises. There is a lot of turnover. 

I know you have been hurt and have your issues with the Church. I wish there were some way you could get past that and come back, Jeanne! You have a lot of good memories and experiences, too!

3 hours ago, rongo said:

Ahhh. Memories!

My wife and I were graveyard shift janitors for two years at the Richards Building at BYU (PE, swimming pool, dance floors, basketball courts, racquetball courts). I got her the job when we were dating (both of us were looking for a second job, and I got her in as a non-student), and we became the shift supervisors. 

My senior year of high school, my dad lost his job and my mom, dad, and I cleaned several businesses, sometimes until 2:00 or 3:00 in the morning. More than being tired, I remember feeling really good that I could help the family income, and my overall good impressions from this experience led me to seek out graveyard janitorial in college. I figured, I'm tired all the time, anyway. Might as well be just as tired, but earn some money. Shoveling walks at 3:00 AM is really peaceful, too! :) 

Whenever college students complain about lack of jobs, I ask them, "Have you tried being a janitor? There are always openings, especially at night." And, if you're good, you will get promotions and pay raises. There is a lot of turnover. 

I know you have been hurt and have your issues with the Church. I wish there were some way you could get past that and come back, Jeanne! You have a lot of good memories and experiences, too!

I so get this...our cleaning jobs made the house payment.:D  In the summer of when I was twelve, the school district paid me a dollar a day to clean up from kindergarten class/bathroom and some outside work.  I was so proud....bought myself the coolest longstrap purse for 7th grade. Work ethics from family..it taught me a lot.