Seriously No Politics ×

Well, at least someone loves Papa. So thank you to whomever does.

Bro. Lee,

I want you to know from this old guy in Indep. Mo...that over these years I have always enjoyed your input and thoughts on things...and have come to admire you very much.  I may not post much,  but I read ALOT! haha    Just wanted you to know!

Randy

18 hours ago, Calm said:

You are a good guy, Papa...you deserve it.

Wow, even with help, I have still found errors. Don't know about you, but it is very embarrassing. :( 

5 hours ago, Bill "Papa" Lee said:

Wow, even with help, I have still found errors. Don't know about you, but it is very embarrassing. :( 

That is what editing is for.  I may work on a long post for months if for some reason someone pops an old thread up again.

I find it very embarrassing as well.  My errors, not yours.  Unless I have a hard time reading something---which I don't think has happened with you---errors of others are instantly forgotten.  Try not to let them bother you.

Edited by Calm
13 hours ago, Calm said:

That is what editing is for.  I may work on a long post for months if for some reason someone pops an old thread up again.

I find it very embarrassing as well.  My errors, not yours.  Unless I have a hard time reading something---which I don't think has happened with you---errors of others are instantly forgotten.  Try not to let them bother you.

Thank you, you are always the voice of "Calm" and reasoning. It would seem to me your error in changing your screen name, was no error at all, as I stated before, you are the voice of "Calm" on our beloved website. Thank you for you advice here and in every thread. God bless you my sister. 

Papa

Papa, thanks for your comments here, particularly with regard to making mistakes, giving offense, saying things we later regret, etc.  I also sympathize with the dementia issue.

Isn't Mormon Dialogue great?  As a relative newcomer, I believe most on this board have the same attitude as you, and think the best of people.  They give us a chance to practice and improve our communication skills.  It is actually mentally freeing to be able to consider the diverse opinions of the people here. It's an opportunity to learn and practice charity.  Sometimes I don't do too well with it and in my knee jerk reactions offend even myself.  I don't like it when that happens.   But hey, it happens.

You know, Papa, on that forgiving ourselves topic, the other day I was thinking about the Golden Rule-- "Do unto others as ye would have them do unto you." That's like a math equation.  It equals doing unto ourselves as we do unto others.  I can tell you are very gentle with others.  It's not so easy to be equally gentle with ourselves, is it?  But I believe it's important.  Such "self care" gives us ability to learn, understand and be an influence for good rather than disabled by our own failings, misperceptions or fears. 

Some of my opinions have even changed, which is surprising to me.  I find myself moderating over time.  Part of our education here is to learn how to think.  I'm finding here, that includes learning how to talk about topics that were once taboo.  I think we can talk about just about anything, if we are careful and thoughtful.

Now, on the dementia issue, it runs in my family on my Mother's side.  When my memory was about two years into failing, I researched and tried a few supplements.  (Sounds like you may be further down that road than me.) I found one natural supplement that works for me.  It is also found in prescription medication for dementia.  It is called "Huperzine A." I take it once every two or three days, depending on how I am feeling.  I took it every day for awhile (one tablet,) but found more is not always better.  Now, for me, once every two or three days works best.  It has made a real difference with names and other issues where memories were falling off the plate all the time.  Much better over the past two or three years.  It may not be the thing for you if you are under a doctor's care. You may already be taking it in your medication.  But maybe it would be good for someone else here.  I get mine on Amazon or a healthfood store.

Thanks again for your post, Papa.  As usual, very edifying.  Happy Easter to you and yours.

Meerkat

Edited by Meerkat
10 hours ago, Meerkat said:

QNow, on the dementia issue, it runs in my family on my Mother's side.  When my memory was about two years into failing, I researched and tried a few supplements.  (Sounds like you may be further down that road than me.) I found one natural supplement that works for me.  It is also found in prescription medication for dementia.  It is called "Huperzine A." I take it once every two or three days, depending on how I am feeling.  I took it every day for awhile (one tablet,) but found more is not always better.  Now, for me, once every two or three days works best.  It has made a real difference with names and other issues where memories were falling off the plate all the time.  Much better over the past two or three years.  It may not be the thing for you if you are under a doctor's care. You may already be taking it in your medication.  But maybe it would be good for someone else here.  I get mine on Amazon or a healthfood store.

Thanks again for your post, Papa.  As usual, very edifying.  Happy Easter to you and yours.

Meerkat

My problems might be with Meds I take at night for diabetic nerve pain, which have bad side effects. I pray it is problems due to meds, as I could not bare knowing for sure it is dementia, not the horrors that my Mother went through. 

On 3/31/2018 at 6:25 PM, Bill "Papa" Lee said:

My problems might be with Meds I take at night for diabetic nerve pain, which have bad side effects. I pray it is problems due to meds, as I could not bare knowing for sure it is dementia, not the horrors that my Mother went through. 

I'm thinking you're right Papa, your mother had it when she was quite a bit older than you right? Now if you were me, you might be more worried. My mom started showing signs as young as 62. :(