Seriously No Politics ×

April Conf.

ElPatron

Not sure where to post this so I’ll park it here. Has anyone heard if the upcoming General Conferance will officially be a Solemn Assembly AND has anyone heard that there will be a special announcement? Announcement other then a new prophet and new apostles and change to HT and girls camps and all the other announcements that have recently occurred.

1 hour ago, ElPatron said:

Has anyone heard if the upcoming General Conferance will officially be a Solemn Assembly AND has anyone heard that there will be a special announcement?

End Times Prophecy rumor?

Never mind, I had forgotten they have them when sustaining new prophets:

https://tech.lds.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30886

betsywinter wrote:...what is different in a solemn assembly vs. a regular meeting?

A Solemn Assembly is when each individual group and quorum is invited to stand and sustain the new church president and first presidency, etc., wherever you may be located, rather than doing it all at once.  

Here is the transcript from April 2008's opening session when Pres. Monson was sustained: https://www.lds.org/ensign/2008/05/the- ... s?lang=eng
Here is the transcript from April 1995's opening session when Pres. Hinckley was sustained: https://www.lds.org/ensign/1995/05/the- ... s?lang=eng

Most likely it will occur during the opening session of General Conference like the past two, but it could be different. You never know.

Dating from October 10, 1880, when John Taylor was sustained to succeed Brigham Young as prophet, seer, and revelator and President of the Church, each of these occasions has been designated a formal solemn assembly of the body of the Church to express the voice of the Church.

We shall vote by quorums and groups. Wherever you are, you are invited to stand when requested and express by your uplifted hand whether you choose to sustain those whose names will be presented. You should vote only when asked to stand.

The General Authorities assigned to the Tabernacle and to the Assembly Hall on Temple Square will observe the voting in those gatherings. In stake centers, a member of the stake presidency will observe the voting. Should there be any contrary votes, we ask that we be so advised. We shall now proceed with the business of this solemn assembly.

Edited by Calm
1 hour ago, bluebell said:

I haven’t heard of it being anything out of the ordinary. Have you heard something?

Heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend who heard it from another........so there’s probably nothing to it. 

I do seem to recall when Pres. Hinckley and Monson were sustained they pre-announced those particular conference’s as Solemn Assembly’s. Just haven’t heard a pre-announcement on this one. Maybe that’s the “announcement” I heard about. Who knows. Carry on. Have a great weekend everyone!  

3 hours ago, ElPatron said:

Not sure where to post this so I’ll park it here. Has anyone heard if the upcoming General Conferance will officially be a Solemn Assembly AND has anyone heard that there will be a special announcement? Announcement other then a new prophet and new apostles and change to HT and girls camps and all the other announcements that have recently occurred.

Here's a rumor that appeared on Dialogue's Twitter feed last month:

image.png.355c7026e8ef16b9bed31880086bb207.png

In the Bible, solemn assemblies took place regularly on the last day of Passover, and on the last day of Tabernacles.  One was also held on the final day of dedication of the Temple of Solomon (cf. D&C 109:6,10 -- during Kirtland Temple dedication; 124:39, re Nauvoo Temple).  They generally qualify as sabbaths (no work that day), and may even include a fast.  They are supposed to be called for special occasions, and everyone is expected to show up.

According to Geoffrey of Monmouth, King Arthur called a solemn assembly for his coronation as king.  The Westminster Confession of Faith was put together during a solemn assembly at Westminster.

26 minutes ago, 2PairsofCletes said:

I have to admit, I have already made Easter Day/dinner plans with my non-Mormon family. So conference on Sunday is out when it's live

I tape conference every six months..actually it is nicer..quite..maybe skip the hymns..I won' t be around either..work every Sunday...actually..in my view, you have priorities right.  Family first..always.

17 minutes ago, 2PairsofCletes said:

Thanks. Easter is a big deal for us. It  trumps conference.

I hear you. Every year Mom would plan this little Easter picnic...hard boiled eggs and all of that..and it would rain every time...and yet..these are the best memories..God gives them to you!!!

On 3/17/2018 at 4:46 PM, Nevo said:

Here's a rumor that appeared on Dialogue's Twitter feed last month:

image.png.355c7026e8ef16b9bed31880086bb207.png

The Priesthood session part of this makes me wonder if we’re finally going to break 100% from the BSA now that President Monson has passed away. I always felt that, out of respect to him, the clean break would never happen but now.....who knows? Personally hoping for 2 hour block schedule announcement though. 

On 3/18/2018 at 1:08 PM, Jeanne said:

I tape conference every six months..actually it is nicer..quite..maybe skip the hymns..I won' t be around either..work every Sunday...actually..in my view, you have priorities right.  Family first..always.

If the skip the hymns you will miss out on "The Reason"!

I would like to request Jesus Wants me for a Sunbeam with the jumping and everything. Or maybe a medley of all of all of the Primary songs with movements. 

On 3/27/2018 at 2:41 PM, MorningStar said:

I would like to request Jesus Wants me for a Sunbeam with the jumping and everything. Or maybe a medley of all of all of the Primary songs with movements. 

I second this suggestion. I will be there in my Sunday Best (sweats and a t-shirt) and that seems right for that song.

On 27/03/2018 at 9:35 PM, SteveO said:

Is this supposed to be a more reliable source than just twitter gossip?  Interesting.

Apparently this was a reliable source, after all.