Seriously No Politics ×

What Other Message Boards Do You Like?

smac97

This thread is directed mostly to observant Latter-day Saints, though anyone is welcome to chime in.

Do you have other LDS-themed message boards that you like?  If so, what are they?

I have appreciated this board's attempt to moderate the content to the extent that members of the LDS Church can participate without having to endure the profanation of things they hold dear and cherish as sacred.  Are there other boards that do this?

I am looking for suggestions only.  Please, no "board wars."

Thanks,

-Smac

49 minutes ago, smac97 said:

This thread is directed mostly to observant Latter-day Saints, though anyone is welcome to chime in.

Do you have other LDS-themed message boards that you like?  If so, what are they?

I have appreciated this board's attempt to moderate the content to the extent that members of the LDS Church can participate without having to endure the profanation of things they hold dear and cherish as sacred.  Are there other boards that do this?

Thanks,

-Smac

Maybe some enterprising soul could start a new board along those lines. 

53 minutes ago, smac97 said:

Thanks,

-Smac

I think for an online Mormon board, this one is the most fair and balanced (with a great variety of posters and opinions expressed....makes for some great discussions, IMO).  I don't participate anywhere else, but I've read on a few others.  They are either more for exMormons or progressives (and more open criticism is allowed against the church) or extremely TBM (that don't allow much give and take or differing opinions within the discussions).  But maybe there are others?

I enjoy this board the most of any I've seen online.  

Edited by ALarson
4 minutes ago, JLHPROF said:

With all due respect, the kind of board you describe would become an echo chamber, not a forum for discussion.

This board is the best I have found at allowing differing opinions while moderating against the profaning of the sacred.

I am definitely not looking for an echo chamber.

If all you want is a board for faithful believing members who are 100% supportive of the Church, I don't think it would hold much discussion, just a lot of testimony meetings.

I don't want a board like that.

You have to allow disagreement on some level, or else discussion screeches to a halt.  This board does an excellent job.  The "other" board and the reddits etc will always be places where believing members will be uncomfortable due to the profaning of things we hold sacred.

But I still want varying viewpoints on LDS belief and practice, not a place where members can pat each other on the back for how well they agree with the official line.

I want varying viewpoints as well.  I've been on this board for fourteen years, after all.

Thanks,

-Smac

7 minutes ago, JLHPROF said:

With all due respect, the kind of board you describe would become an echo chamber, not a forum for discussion.

This board is the best I have found at allowing differing opinions while moderating against the profaning of the sacred.
If all you want is a board for faithful believing members who are 100% supportive of the Church, I don't think it would hold much discussion, just a lot of testimony meetings.

You have to allow disagreement on some level, or else discussion screeches to a halt.  This board does an excellent job.  The "other" board and the reddits etc will always be places where believing members will be uncomfortable due to the profaning of things we hold sacred.
But I still want varying viewpoints on LDS belief and practice, not a place where members can pat each other on the back for how well they agree with the official line.

There are two reddit subs that are tightly moderated. R/lds, very strictly orthodox, no liberal mormons allowed. Then there's r/latterdaysaints, which allows some slightly liberal ideas, but is still pretty strict about orthodoxy.

Then there is the LDS Freedom Forum if you want a more Alex Jonesian approach to Mormonism.

39 minutes ago, Duncan said:

I read blogs mostly, keepapitchinin, by common consent, wheat and tares and sometimes times and seasons.

By Common Consent https://bycommonconsent.com/ is a very high quality blog with lots of comments.  I never participate there, but they have some of the best Mormon intellectuals contributing, and they even publish books (and will mentor new authors).

I absolutely love the format on this board! I've not come across one that I like as well. And the feedback, even little ol' me gets is so nice and that I get the time of day from the posters, makes me feel like someone notices/cares!

Edited by Tacenda
1 hour ago, Robert F. Smith said:

By Common Consent https://bycommonconsent.com/ is a very high quality blog with lots of comments.  I never participate there, but they have some of the best Mormon intellectuals contributing, and they even publish books (and will mentor new authors).

I posted a comment in response to a blog post there once. My comment was promptly deleted. I haven’t much cared for it since. Seems like a rather closed society to me. 

7 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I posted a comment in response to a blog post there once. My comment was promptly deleted. I haven’t much cared for it since. Seems like a rather closed society to me. 

Perhaps so.  I recognize a lot of the names -- professionals and academics -- some very bright people, such as Kevin Barney.  Who knows what the moderators there think?  I have never tried to contribute to it.

5 hours ago, Gray said:

There are two reddit subs that are tightly moderated. R/lds, very strictly orthodox, no liberal mormons allowed. Then there's r/latterdaysaints, which allows some slightly liberal ideas, but is still pretty strict about orthodoxy.

Then there is the LDS Freedom Forum if you want a more Alex Jonesian approach to Mormonism.

"Then there is the LDS Freedom Forum if you want a more Alex Jonesian approach to Mormonism." - It's a conspiracy I tell ya'. All staged!!! ;)

/Jones is a complete kook.

4 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said:

Perhaps so.  I recognize a lot of the names -- professionals and academics -- some very bright people, such as Kevin Barney.  Who knows what the moderators there think?  I have never tried to contribute to it.

The blog was written on one of The anniversaries of the November 2015 policy leak. The author wanted feedback giving reflections on the policy. Apparently, they weren’t interested in comments in favor of the policy, because mine didn’t last long. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/19/2018 at 11:13 PM, Tacenda said:

I would gladly donate to this board, is there a way to do that?

I've thought of that, too, but there's a problem when it comes to what would happen if a donor were banned or put on limited. Would there be some kind of liability?  "Hey, I pay for this place! You can't ban me!" The next thing we would hear is all about the lawsuit that the banned donor filed.

I'd be willing to contribute, though.  I like this place.

On 2/19/2018 at 5:10 PM, Gray said:

The LDS Freedom Forum makes good reading if you want to laugh at people. Like rodeo clowns who are not in on the farce they are performing.

On 19/02/2018 at 4:07 PM, Scott Lloyd said:

There’s a board called “Mormon Hub.” I haven’t really explored it but have looked in on it a time or two. At first glance it looks quite a bit like this one. 

Mormon Hub evolved from lds.net. It's appearance is very similar to this site. It is very pro Mormon. There are a lot of discussions but for me it has become a little slow and not that interesting. You'll only know if it's for you by checking it out for a least a couple weeks.

M.