Seriously No Politics ×

Climate Change is false doctrine

The other thread is now closed and I didn't get the chance to share my views. I believe man cannot change the climate because D&C 88:13 teaches us the light of Christ governs all things, not men. The idea of climate change contradicts Mormon doctrine.

The scriptures teach in the last days we are going to see a lot of corruption and false doctrines. The scriptures are already being fulfilled. The scientists are not allowed to question man-made climate change without losing big federal grants. The federal government pays NASA millions of dollars to cherry pick the data.

Fortunately we non-scientists don't receive grants and we can do research for ourselves. Climate Science isn't complicated at all, with a quick google search you can find many temperature graphs that show no warming. It just very simple. In fact 2016 was warmer than 2017 so that means the Earth is not warming.

People really need to start questioning the climate science research, with a great invention called Google we can quickly learn that there is no evidence for man-made climate change. You can also find New York Times and CNN articles predicting the end of snow, yet we see a lot of snow.

I believe God gave us carbon to use it, the industrial revolution has been a blessing for humanity and the church. Thanks to the industrial revolution we have computers that allow us to do genealogy much easier.  If the industrial revolution is a blessing from God it means the earth can't be warming. Why would God inspire something that is harmful to the planet?

There are Youtube videos from renown scientists like Tim Ball or Richard Lindzen. Richard Lindzen is a professor at MIT.  It is true twenty-two other MIT professors wrote a letter criticizing Lindzen, but that was only because the federal government paid them a lot of money to do it, it's all just a conspiracy.

Lastly, if man-made climate change was real and a threat to humanity our prophets would have been warning us already. Our prophets warn us about financial crisis, natural disasters, violence, but nothing on climate change. In climate science there aren't many variables to take into account, for me it is just simple logic.  Just look at your window, look outside it is freezing. That is all I have to say. Thank You for reading.

Edited by SamuelTheLamanite
2 minutes ago, SamuelTheLamanite said:

The other thread is now closed and I didn't get the chance to share my views. I believe man cannot change the climate because D&C 88:13 teaches us the light of Christ governs all things, not men. The idea of climate change contradicts Mormon doctrine.

The scriptures teach in the last days we are going to see a lot of corruption and false doctrines. The scriptures are already being fulfilled. The scientists are not allowed to question man-made climate change without losing big federal grants. The federal government pays NASA millions of dollars to cherry pick the data.

That is a ridiculous argument. If God governs all things and we get no input you just denied agency and/or took away all responsibility for our actions. In fact you should not have made this post. If God wishes it to be done He would have governed it to happen without you.

Yes, the giant conspiracy. No one has ever been able to explain to me who is behind this conspiracy and what its goals are. Why would the government want to create a fake crisis like that? Preparing for it would be (and is) costly and disruptive. Then despite this international conspiracy (you cannot limit it to the US as the rest of the world largely accepts the concept too) little is being done. If the government is behind it then why does the party in power now largely deny it? Is it limited to one party? If so, how does this fit into your federal government controlling all the grants theory when power shifts? How has it taken hold worldwide? Is there a shadowed Illuminati behind it all? If so, they suck at their job.

I note that your evidence for one year not being warmer than another largely relies on the data from government (many government) sources. Why have they not been altered if this is a government conspiracy?

Also you cannot deny climate change on the basis of the temperature from one year to the next and I would. Even in the onset of an ice age you will have a year warmer than the one before. You also ignore that while 2016 was hotter than 2017 that 2016 was the hottest year on record and 2017 is the second hottest.

If you want to believe it is false please come up with better arguments than “God would not let us do that to ourselves” (have you read the Old Testament?), conspiracy nutzoid theories, and weak appeals to data you do not understand.

I guess it does not matter much anyways. We are in for a rough time even if we did rebuild our infrastructure from the ground up to try to delay what is happening and there is no strong will anywhere to do anything drastic about it in any case. We might mitigate it a little but not much. On the bright side I will probably be dead or nearly dead by the time the worst of it hits. So, enjoy it on my behalf.

24 minutes ago, SamuelTheLamanite said:

Fortunately we non-scientists don't receive grants and we can do research for ourselves. Climate Science isn't complicated at all, with a quick google search you can find many temperature graphs that show no warming. It just very simple. In fact 2016 was warmer than 2017 so that means the Earth is not warming.

People really need to start questioning the climate science research, with a great invention called Google we can quickly learn that there is no evidence for man-made climate change. You can also find New York Times and CNN articles predicting the end of snow, yet we see a lot of snow.

I believe God gave us carbon to use it, the industrial revolution has been a blessing for humanity and the church. Thanks to the industrial revolution we have computers that allow us to do genealogy much easier.  If the industrial revolution is a blessing from God it means the earth can't be warming. Why would God inspire something that is harmful to the planet?

There are Youtube videos from renown scientists like Tim Ball or Richard Lindzen. Richard Lindzen is a professor at MIT.  It is true twenty-two other MIT professors wrote a letter criticizing Lindzen, but that was only because the federal government paid them a lot of money to do it, it's all just a conspiracy.

Lastly, if man-made climate change was real and a threat to humanity our prophets would have been warning us already. Our prophets warn us about financial crisis, natural disasters, violence, but nothing on climate change. In climate science there aren't many variables to take into account, for me it is just simple logic.  Just look at your window, look outside it is freezing. That is all I have to say. Thank You for reading.

Samuel, climate change is not "doctrine." It is historical fact. The climate has changed in the past, and it will change in the future. 

Even man-made global warming is not "doctrine." It is just theory with a smattering of evidence to really back it up. Scientific theory has very little if anything to do with "doctrine."  I believe what you mean is that you do not believe in man-made global warming. Nevertheless, on average the world has increased about 2 deg F in temperature over the last 60 years. There is no GA who would call that belief "doctrine." If you looked through the other thread you may notice some of my posts which present some scriptures which seem to support the idea of global warming occurring in the future.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

I used to have a job where I was an absolute expert in the subject and if I wanted to fool people I could.  However there were other experts like me

that I could not fool and would call me out if I strayed to far.  Lets pretend for sake of argument that the global warming theory is not quite right.  It would be a good thing anyway to find other ways of providing energy rather than burning fossil fuels because carbon is not the only product of combustion . If oil does start to get hard to find we will have waited too long to change. Staying the same is an illusion, there is a cost to everything including trying to keep on with what we are doing now.

The public will find out in the future what will be with global warming and climate change they will not need any one to tell them.

Sadly what we really argue about is cost and trying to cling to what is we have been doing..

DandCov 84:59

"For shall the children of the kingdom pollute my holy land? Verily, I say unto you, Nay"

Moses7:48

"Enoch looked upon the earth; and he heard a voice from the bowels thereof, saying: Wo, wo is me, the mother of men; I am pained, I am weary, because of the wickedness of my children. When shall I rest, and be cleansed from the filthiness which is gone forth out of me?"

The Lord is not pleased with the brown Cloud that hangs over Salt Lake City.

7 hours ago, SamuelTheLamanite said:

Apparently you missed this story on Google that is scientific in every way imaginable, and that proves beyond a shadow of doubt that the computer models that predict massive death and destruction in 50-100 years from now are scientifically accurate! 

https://newatlas.com/sandwiches-global-warming/53128/

It's official, the greenies have gone absolutely bat Sh*^ crazy and lost their minds! 

And just think, some government gave these people...cough...cough.....sorry "climate scientists" a grant to study this!  It's insane!

8 hours ago, SamuelTheLamanite said:

I am for keeping the earth clean, pure, unpolluted, etc., (place your word choice here) because we have been commanded to both in conference and through scripture. What confuses the issue is politics. Whenever anything becomes politicized then immediately, it least here in the United States, then there will be almost automatically a 50-50 split of opinion, or whatever the percentage of polarized political parties go (nice illustration?).

Generally, the group favoring global warming theory tend to be Democrats and those who do not believe in a global warming theory (global freez, climate change, choose your phrase) tend to come from the Republican Party. First before you hyper politize this, I am just pointing out what is generally the trend. I am not against either party. The truth is the global warming issue has become hyper politicized and because it has corrupted facts have crept into the issue and experts on both ends of the issue tend to use or cite or cite papers that cite these fudged or cooked numbers. From my research the trends tend to be true even among the experts.

I choose to treat our earth like the scout standard or leaving it in better condition than when I got there. I am not yet convinced to join the pro-global warming group, but I have not joined the anti-global warming group (i.e. those who say there is no global warming). I believe in science and as far as I know science has showed a fluctuation in temperature over millions of years. Sometimes the earth is colder, sometimes its warmer and probably will continue to be so. 

I refuse to subscribe to or deny  global warming on a political party standard, but on a science standard. Too bad it has become such a political issue. I will do my part to keep the contact I have with the earth to a minimum and try in every attempt to keep it in as is or better (if possible) than when I got here.

9 hours ago, SamuelTheLamanite said:

We rely on experts in any given field to help educate us.  For example, when we are sick or break a bone, we go to the doctor, who went to school for years and years to be able to help treat us.  

But with your logic, why would God allow advances in science and modern medicine if the Priesthood and faith alone can heal the sick?  

I’m going to keep sticking with the experts on climate change!  

Science and religion need not be in conflict with each other!  If something is true, it is true!  

34 minutes ago, Anijen said:

I am for keeping the earth clean, pure, unpolluted, etc., (place your word choice here) because we have been commanded to both in conference and through scripture. What confuses the issue is politics. Whenever anything becomes politicized then immediately, it least here in the United States, then there will be almost automatically a 50-50 split of opinion, or whatever the percentage of polarized political parties go (nice illustration?).

Generally, the group favoring global warming theory tend to be Democrats and those who do not believe in a global warming theory (global freez, climate change, choose your phrase) tend to come from the Republican Party. First before you hyper politize this, I am just pointing out what is generally the trend. I am not against either party. The truth is the global warming issue has become hyper politicized and because it has corrupted facts have crept into the issue and experts on both ends of the issue tend to use or cite or cite papers that cite these fudged or cooked numbers. From my research the trends tend to be true even among the experts.

I choose to treat our earth like the scout standard or leaving it in better condition than when I got there. I am not yet convinced to join the pro-global warming group, but I have not joined the anti-global warming group (i.e. those who say there is no global warming). I believe in science and as far as I know science has showed a fluctuation in temperature over millions of years. Sometimes the earth is colder, sometimes its warmer and probably will continue to be so. 

I refuse to subscribe to or deny  global warming on a political party standard, but on a science standard. Too bad it has become such a political issue. I will do my part to keep the contact I have with the earth to a minimum and try in every attempt to keep it in as is or better (if possible) than when I got here.

Since you brought up politics, considering that Mormons are the religious group that is most likely to approve of President Trump, SamuelTheLamanite’s post does not surprise me.  

4 minutes ago, Sky said:

We rely on experts in any given field to help educate us.  For example, when we are sick or break a bone, we go to the doctor, who went to school for years and years to be able to help treat us.  

But with your logic, why would God allow advances in science and modern medicine if the Priesthood and faith alone can heal the sick?  

I’m going to keep sticking with the experts on climate change!  

Science and religion need not be in conflict with each other!  If something is true, it is true!  

I agree with the above post especially that "science and religion need not be in conflict..."

However, one must be careful here on the climate change issue there are exceptional experts on both sides, for and against. That is one reason when issues like this becomes politicized then politics seems to become the experts and even worse some experts become corrupt and/or use corrupted findings.

9 hours ago, The Nehor said:

If you want to believe it is false please come up with better arguments than “God would not let us do that to ourselves” (have you read the Old Testament?), conspiracy nutzoid theories, and weak appeals to data you do not understand.

Our prophets teach us, "the scientific achievements including the Industrial Revolution, the Communication Revolution, and advancements in medicine that have greatly blessed us today". The burning of fossils fuels make machines work.

CO2 is a blessing, not a curse. If CO2 was bad then God would have given us fusion instead. To this day God hasn't inspire anyone to make fusion work. There is no need to worry The Nehor, if Global Warming was a threat God would have given us the tools to fight it. But in the small chance that man-made climate change is real and dangerous, it is okay because our life on Earth is only temporal, we have an eternity to enjoy the gospel.

39 minutes ago, Anijen said:

The truth is the global warming issue has become hyper politicized and because it has corrupted facts have crept into the issue and experts on both ends of the issue tend to use or cite or cite papers that cite these fudged or cooked numbers. From my research the trends tend to be true even among the experts.

Most of the experts are paid a lot of money to conclude that climate change is man-made. Senate science committee chairman is giving a lot of money to NASA to cherry pick the data. Luckily we have renown scientists like Tim Ball and Lindzen that are not bought by the Federal government. Lindzen is the only MIT professor (out of 23 in his department) that doesn't accept giant federal grants, he is of the few who is more interested in the truth.

8 minutes ago, Sky said:

Scientists also teach us that things like the Resurrection aren't possible. How do you reconcile Science with the ressurection of Jesus? How about Lazarus reviving? 

21 minutes ago, Anijen said:

there are exceptional experts on both sides, for and against.

The same is true for all science topics. It is true there are experts on both sides, but only  a few are against because most experts are bought by the federal government. Here is a list of the experts in our country that are not bought by the federal government,  the list is short, but it includes renown scientists like Timothy Ball. The scientists are from respected like physics, geography, biochemistry, geology. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_scientists_opposing_the_mainstream_scientific_assessment_of_global_warming#Scientists_arguing_that_global_warming_is_primarily_caused_by_natural_processes

I am glad we still have scientists that are not greedy, but it is no surprise because the scriptures tell us that in the last days only a few will be saved.

Edited by SamuelTheLamanite

Sometimes, something can be both good and bad at the same time, depending on how it is used. An Ibuprofen is good if you have a headache, but that doesn’t mean that you take the whole bottle!  And some medications can actually become ineffective or harmful over time.  The same could be said for humankind’s use of fossil fuels.  Now is the time when it has become harmful and is making us sick.  And there are other ways to power our lives now without C02.  What was a blessing in the early 1900’s does not make it a blessing in 2018!  

10 hours ago, SamuelTheLamanite said:

Have you read your scriptures recently?
The actions of man have caused dramatic changes to the earth repeatedly throughout scripture.
Sometimes God directly puts those changes in to action as a result of our behavior.  Sometimes our behavior causes the changes all by ourselves.
Scripture is full of prophecy about major climatic changes prior to the second coming - it is silly to think that our actions are not one of the factors in those changes.

In fact, my wife and I were talking just the other night about climate change.
Whenever anyone religious suggests that weather and disasters are worse than ever and it's a sign of the end times, people start stomping their feet and saying it's just nature and nothing has changed and there is no indication things are worse than before.

The big irony is that the people that make those statements are usually the same one who argue that man is causing climate change, leading to global warming, floods, and other weather and natural disasters.  :crazy:  - Can't have it both ways people.  Either weather patterns and disasters are worsening or they aren't.  The only question is whether it's man made or God's response to man's behavior as prophesied.

8 minutes ago, Sky said:

What was a blessing in the early 1900’s does not make it a blessing in 2018!  

I will consider that when God inspires men to make fusion work. Our prophets tell us to prepare for financial crisis, natural disasters, disease, but no word on climate change. Wouldn't God tell his prophets that humans are responsible for climate change? Most of us Mormons are all for the burning of fossil fuels. Many of our church leaders believe coal is a good thing for economic growth. If man-made climate change was real and a threat wouldn't you think that God would have tell us by now?  

14 minutes ago, Sky said:

The same could be said for humankind’s use of fossil fuels.  Now is the time when it has become harmful and is making us sick.  

Don't worry. Even if you are right about man-made climate change, the good thing is that we still have an eternity after this life on Earth. What we need to worry about are things that are destructive to society and our souls, things like gay marriage, pornography, secularization, and more importantly the threats to our religious freedom.

55 minutes ago, SamuelTheLamanite said:

Our prophets teach us, "the scientific achievements including the Industrial Revolution, the Communication Revolution, and advancements in medicine that have greatly blessed us today". The burning of fossils fuels make machines work.

Look, I too am not a big believer in man made global warming, but fossil fuels are a bad idea in the long run for many other reasons.  1) they are a limited resource, 2) they have other health consequences (anyone living in Utah should understand that)

55 minutes ago, SamuelTheLamanite said:

There is no need to worry The Nehor, if Global Warming was a threat God would have given us the tools to fight it. But in the small chance that man-made climate change is real and dangerous, it is okay because our life on Earth is only temporal, we have an eternity to enjoy the gospel.

You are arguing against yourself here.  On one hand you say that if it was a threat "God would give us the tools to fight it".  But on the other hand you say, if it is a threat, "it is okay because our life on earth is only temporal".  I am confused, is the threat okay or not?  If it is a threat, would God give us the tools to fight it or not?   You can't have your cake and eat it too :wacko:

Edited by pogi
2 minutes ago, SamuelTheLamanite said:

I will consider that when God inspires men to make fusion work. Our prophets tell us to prepare for financial crisis, natural disasters, disease, but no word on climate change. Wouldn't God tell his prophets that humans are responsible for climate change? Most of us Mormons are all for the burning of fossil fuels. Many of our church leaders believe coal is a good thing for economic growth. If man-made climate change was real and a threat wouldn't you think that God would have tell us by now?  

The prophets don’t necessarily tell us everything there is to know about the way the world works.   

We also have to rely on science and reasoning and study. 

And if we want the lighting fixed in our home, we should probably go to an electrician.  

Sam, 

I think you may have accidentally posted to the wrong forum. Conspiracy theories of man mingled with scripture go here: 

https://www.ldsfreedomforum.com/

Fairly common mistake.

Edited by Brother Bear

I believe man cannot change the climate because D&C 88:13 teaches us the light of Christ governs all things, not men.

There goes agency!

The idea of climate change contradicts Mormon doctrine.

Actually it corroborates it. Have you ever read the prophecies of the last days?  Drought, famine, pestilence...fire!

I disagree that climate change contradicts LDS doctrine.  I see it fit the scriptures well.  If we believe that the last days before Christ will be a period of great turmoil.  If we believe that there will be drought, floods, famine, cities being destroyed by the sea overflowing its bounds, wars, ect.  then climate change fits the model perfectly.  The world has always had drought, famine, and other natural disasters but why use a common feature of world history as a characteristic of the last days?  I think it is because the the disasters are more frequent and intense over the ones of early centuries.  The world has changed because the climate has changed.  Climate change would explain much of the wars that will happen as huge populations shifts occur as people seek safety and water.  Huge migrations lead to more instability in the world. 

I think your interpretation of the light of Christ governing all things is a misapplication of the scripture.  The light of Christ did not start WW1 or WW2 or any other war.  The light of Christ does not prevent man from doing dumb things.  Man is given agency and if man wants to cause destruction, man is given that agency.   Man can change the climate simply by a large scale nuclear exchange. 

What exactly could have prophets have warned about in climate change?  They warn us about things that are in our control.  They have warned us about natural disasters and climate change would be a part of that.  It does not make a lot of sense for them to have warned us about carbon emissions as what would have been their solution on it.  Regardless of ones views on fossil fuels, they have build the world as we know it.  They have been critical to the transportation system the world has enjoyed over the past 100 years.  Would the prophets have suggested society ditch the car and go back to the horse?   Advocate the elimination of the airplane?  Who would listen to them?  I think the prophets would see climate change as playing a role in the last days events and see it as something that is just going to happen.  Rather than get into debates on climate change that will not stop what is going to happen,. they warn us to be prepared for the financial and physical issue that climate change will bring. 

I am not a big fan of Al Gore or wanting carbon taxes or other things but the concept of climate change playing a role in last days events is not a problem for me. 

44 minutes ago, pogi said:

1) they are a limited resource, 2) they have other health consequences (anyone living in Utah should understand that)

If true why hasn't God inspired men to make fusion work? and more importantly, because so many of Mormons believe burning coal and other fossil fuels is good, why hasn't God corrected us? Most Mormons do believe burning fossil fuels is good, but it wouldn't be the case with revelation telling us to stop.

46 minutes ago, Sky said:

The prophets don’t necessarily tell us everything there is to know about the way the world works.   

We also have to rely on science and reasoning and study. 

And if we want the lighting fixed in our home, we should probably go to an electrician.  

True, but you say burning  fossil fuels isn't good, and yet most of us Mormons believe it is good. Why would God leave us in the dark? We are not longer in the dark ages.  

1 hour ago, Anijen said:

IHowever, one must be careful here on the climate change issue there are exceptional experts on both sides, for and against.

But it is sad that an overwhelming majority of experts are bought by the federal government and the U.S. Senate Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation.  The list of pro-climate change scientists contributing to climate science is much bigger than the other list "This list of climate scientists contains famous or otherwise notable persons who have contributed to the study of climate science. The list is compiled manually so will not be complete or up to date"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_climate_scientists

But as the scriptures prophecies most are going astray.  Matthew 7:14: Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it. Matthew 7:14 literally applies to everything, even science fields.