Seriously No Politics ×

Tolstoy, Mormonism and free will

On 1/21/2018 at 12:53 PM, boblloyd91 said:

So what do you all think? Are there limits to our free will? If so why? If not why not?

A family member took the Ancestry DNA test.  She sent the raw data to Promethease.com.  The report revealed she had a weakness in her dopamine receptors causing a tendency toward fear and depression.  Taken to an extreme, the weakness could contribute to mental illness and suicide.  That fact is a limitation to free will.  She is also vulnerable to two types of cancer, and should avoid statin drugs.

On 1/22/2018 at 7:16 PM, 3DOP said:

I conclude that the presence of evil is therefore compatible with a good God, who is omnipotent, and who sees that it is better for the sake of freedom to allow evil, than to make a world where nothing ever goes wrong. 

Our predicament appears to be complicated by certain gifts or curses of our genes.  It is also complicated by geography (access to protein, natural resources, government structure, etc.)  It is complicated by environment (single mother raising children in the projects in gang environment versus faithful, intact two parent family in a stable religious home.) It is so complicated, it would require a perfect Judge with infinite understanding and ability to sift the wheat from the chaff to sort it all out.  And He must, if our judgment is to be equal and fair.  "6 For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit."  1 Peter 4:6

Edited by Meerkat
14 hours ago, Meerkat said:

A family member took the Ancestry DNA test.  She sent the raw data to Promethease.com.  The report revealed she had a weakness in her dopamine receptors causing a tendency toward fear and depression.  Taken to an extreme, the weakness could contribute to mental illness and suicide.  That fact is a limitation to free will.  She is also vulnerable to two types of cancer, and should avoid statin drugs.

Our predicament appears to be complicated by certain gifts or curses of our genes.  It is also complicated by geography (access to protein, natural resources, government structure, etc.)  It is complicated by environment (single mother raising children in the projects in gang environment versus faithful, intact two parent family in a stable religious home.) It is so complicated, it would require a perfect Judge with infinite understanding and ability to sift the wheat from the chaff to sort it all out.  And He must, if our judgment is to be equal and fair.  "6 For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit."  1 Peter 4:6

Thanks for sharing those experiences! I was wondering if you’ve ever heard of the field of Epigenetics? It basically is coming to the conclusion that DNA isn’t destiny and our genes change over time according to our behavior, and our posterity can create further changes through what they do!

5 hours ago, boblloyd91 said:

Thanks for sharing those experiences! I was wondering if you’ve ever heard of the field of Epigenetics? It basically is coming to the conclusion that DNA isn’t destiny and our genes change over time according to our behavior, and our posterity can create further changes through what they do!

Hi Bob--

I hadn't heard of Epigenetic, but it makes sense.  Geneticists are able to modify a baby's DNA.  We can use our own stem cells to generate cartilage for bad knees, ankles, etc.  What seems likely to me is that DNA flaws may disappear in the resurrection, which would go a long way to level the playing field and simplify the judgment process.

On 2018-01-25 at 3:09 AM, Meerkat said:

Could you pm me with any additional information as to why, how, what,  and value she feels given, what she can do now with the info.  Did they change her treatment for anxiety and depression from info it provided (this might be something everyone in the family could find useful,  I might try to talk Mom into a chrtmas present for the family...everyone sends their stuff in to get tested.)  btw...I can't do Statin drugs...if the cancer is skin and brain, we must be family.

If it could provide some short cuts for my daughter, it would be worth what we could spend for sure.  It would also be nice to know it wasn't five random disorders hitting her, but the two worse are actually the same (dopamine covers sleep disorder and depression/fear).

Edited by Calm