Seriously No Politics ×

An Awesome Experience... 20 - 30+ foot waves

Garden Girl

I remember having an experience like that once at Patrick's Point in California while on my mission.  The beach was set up (i'm guessing with under water reefs and stuff, i'm not really sure) so that these huge waves were breaking right on the shoreline.  It was awe-inspiring and what i remember most about it was the noise.  I didn't know waves could be that loud. You could hardly talk to someone standing right next to you.

I wish I could have been there to see the sights with you GG.  It sounds amazing.

Last September Wendy and I drove on the WA coast while there was a bit of storm going -- but it wasn't as big as the one GG describes!  Wish we could have seen this!

UPDATE.... 3:30 A.M.

Tues 1/23/18

A 7.9 earthquake in Alaska has placed the West Coast of WA, OR and CA under a Tsunami watch... I am sitting up, monitoring the local news and Weather Channel, ready with my 72-hr kit to evacuate if necessary...  Bob's carrier is ready so all I have to do is whisk him into it, grab my kit and head to higher ground in a safe zone just up the highway.  I had to do this about three years ago when I was actually evacuated (fire trucks going through the area with sirens and loudspeakers blaring).  I have to admit I'm a little nervous... would appreciate your good thoughts and prayers... 

GG

EDIT to ADD... I just got a telephone alert with instructions from Lincoln County Emer Alert service... I had to press "1" to show I had received the message which was to continue to be alert and ready, and wait for further instructions...

EDIT (2)... 4:30 A.M.  The tsunami alert for WA. OR and CA has just been cancelled... only Alaska remains on alert.. GG

Edited by Garden Girl
3 hours ago, Garden Girl said:

Tues 1/23/18

A 7.9 earthquake in Alaska has placed the West Coast of WA, OR and CA under a Tsunami watch... I am sitting up, monitoring the local news and Weather Channel, ready with my 72-hr kit to evacuate if necessary...  Bob's carrier is ready so all I have to do is whisk him into it, grab my kit and head to higher ground in a safe zone just up the highway.  I had to do this about three years ago when I was actually evacuated (fire trucks going through the area with sirens and loudspeakers blaring).  I have to admit I'm a little nervous... would appreciate your good thoughts and prayers... 

GG

EDIT to ADD... I just got a telephone alert with instructions from Lincoln County Emer Alert service... I had to press "1" to show I had received the message which was to continue to be alert and ready, and wait for further instructions...

EDIT (2)... 4:30 A.M.  The tsunami alert for WA. OR and CA has just been cancelled... only Alaska remains on alert.. GG

Wow..glad it was cancelled and you can rest easy. Watching the morning shows and haven't heard them mention it. Hopefully everyone is okay in Alaska. Doesn't it feel like the disasters just keep going full speed all over the world? Personally, I think it's the way we treat mother earth. But others think it's soon the end of the world.Or others think it's just cyclical. 

5 hours ago, Garden Girl said:

Tues 1/23/18

GG

So glad everything is okay. I saw the alert during the night (I'm in Portland) and thought of you. 

Saw some video of the sirens and announcements in Alaska to immediately evacuate for higher ground. Scary stuff. 

36 minutes ago, Raingirl said:

So glad everything is okay. I saw the alert during the night (I'm in Portland) and thought of you. 

Saw some video of the sirens and announcements in Alaska to immediately evacuate for higher ground. Scary stuff. 

Yeah, I'm 8 hours ahead of you guys on the west coast of the US (in England at the moment, though I'm coming back for a visit next week).  I saw the earthquake notice very soon as it happened -- being a subscriber to the US Geological Survey quake alert -- and saw that there was a tsunami alert.  I know that the WA and OR coastal communities have a very effective tsunami warning system in place, so wasn't too worried, but I was glad to see that it was cancelled.

Tacenda...

I think it's all of what you mentioned... the way we treat Mother Earth... part of the last days...  and cyclical...

I do believe the fires, the floods, famine, sea activity, earthquakes, and various hurricanes/tornados have all happened in the past before our time... but I also believe such activity will increase as we traverse the last days as outlined in scriptures, increasing in intensity and occurrence...

All is well here...

It's raining and I have to go to Newport again today, to renew my permit to "carry concealed."

GG

Edited by Garden Girl

" to renew my permit to "carry concealed.""

This cracks me up every time.  I can't have a working gun in the house (husband had his great grandpas gun before we moved to Canada, but they didn't make bullets for it anymore, except by hand of course).  Watched one too many shows of kids getting accidentally hurt or killed.  Even with a gun safe, nightmares.

And I am not going to go plinking with my husband just in case it makes my ears ring more.  They are too close to being not ignorable.

Edited by Calm
1 hour ago, Calm said:

This cracks me up every time.  I can't have a working gun in the house (husband had his great grandpas gun before we moved to Canada, but they didn't make bullets for it anymore, except by hand of course).  Watched one too many shows of kids getting accidentally hurt or killed.  Even with a gun safe, nightmares.

And I am not going to go plinking with my husband just in case it makes my ears ring more.  They are too close to being not ignorable.

Calm... I suppose my living alone... driving in very rural areas alone, including at night... etc... makes me more open to having a gun in this day.  My husband, who traveled extensively for his job, leaving me alone, taught me to shoot years ago.  I've taken gun safety classes, and target practice with friends.  My former bishop was the Chief of Lincoln City police and teaches the gun safety course that I took... Living alone, I just feel better with a weapon, and I have no small children who visit me, etc.  

GG

Edited by Garden Girl
On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 1:40 AM, Calm said:

Funny thing happened on the way to the forum...  heh hed

Anyway, loooong time ago, the wife allowed me to buy a pistol.  There was some concern about our kids getting ahold of it, so it was kept secure.  Then I discovered that the kids were terribly fascinated by the pistol and its ammo, and it worried me.  So I took them out to the local gravel pit where everyone in the county went shooting, and taught them how to handle the thing, and let them shoot at targets.  And taught them the rules, which were 1) "A gun is always loaded, even if you just unloaded it", and 2) "Never point a gun at anything unless you're willing to destroy it".  And they saw what the thing could do.  

After getting all this, they "got it".  Their curiosity having been satisfied, we had no more instances of inappropriate curiosity (which is what prompted the lessons).  I managed to raise seven boys and a girl to respect firearms by the simple expedient of satisfying their curiosity and training them correctly.  Only one of them really cares about guns, and he has several (as do I), and the rest are like "whatever."  If you treat it like it was a big secret then you're probably not doing it right.  

You also have to make sure you keep the things secure, too, because you never know who might come in the house and be where they're not supposed to be.

12 hours ago, Stargazer said:

Funny thing happened on the way to the forum...  heh hed

Anyway, loooong time ago, the wife allowed me to buy a pistol.  There was some concern about our kids getting ahold of it, so it was kept secure.  Then I discovered that the kids were terribly fascinated by the pistol and its ammo, and it worried me.  So I took them out to the local gravel pit where everyone in the county went shooting, and taught them how to handle the thing, and let them shoot at targets.  And taught them the rules, which were 1) "A gun is always loaded, even if you just unloaded it", and 2) "Never point a gun at anything unless you're willing to destroy it".  And they saw what the thing could do.  

After getting all this, they "got it".  Their curiosity having been satisfied, we had no more instances of inappropriate curiosity (which is what prompted the lessons).  I managed to raise seven boys and a girl to respect firearms by the simple expedient of satisfying their curiosity and training them correctly.  Only one of them really cares about guns, and he has several (as do I), and the rest are like "whatever."  If you treat it like it was a big secret then you're probably not doing it right.  

You also have to make sure you keep the things secure, too, because you never know who might come in the house and be where they're not supposed to be.

My son and husband have ensured tthey know what they are doing. It is not fear of the unknown that is my problem, but connections in my head that come out when asleep and leaves a gloom over my day. 

Edited by Calm
5 hours ago, Calm said:

My son and husband have ensured tthey know what they are doing. It is not fear of the unknown that is my problem, but connections in my head that come out when asleep and leaves a gloom over my day. 

I have those connections in my head over other things.  I've put off going on trips because I was worried something might happen. 

My grandmother Irene, though, was a real worrier, world class.  When I went on my mission to Germany she was very concerned lest I should inadvertently walk over the border and find myself on the communist side, or worse, walk into the minefield they had on the border.  She was barely reassured when I told her that my mission wasn't on the border, and they wouldn't let me leave the boundaries of my mission area.