Seriously No Politics ×

Ex-Mormons launch FaithLeaks

JAHS

Ryan McKnight and Ethan Dodge are at it again. They are expanding their leaks to other religions now. 

Ex-Mormons launch FaithLeaks to root out abuse and corruption in churches

"A new website called FaithLeaks aims to bring transparency to the workings of religious congregations and denominations by publishing documents and data sets provided by anonymous sources.
The web portal was founded by two former Mormons who have previously gained access to documents shedding light on the inner workings of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and its position on controversial issues such as gay marriage.
This week, the two founders — Ryan McKnight and Ethan Dodge — published a trove of 33 letters and documents detailing an internal investigation of alleged sexual abuse within a congregation of Jehovah’s Witnesses.
The pair hopes to entice others to submit documents that shed light on three main areas: congregational finances, church policies and procedures and documents related to sex abuse settlements."

14 hours ago, rpn said:

Bluebell, these are the guys behind MormonLeaks.   This is just an avenue for other faiths.   (Was announced a couple of months ago,: sounds like they just posted their first docs.)

Yes, I realize that.  I think it's funny that MormonLeaks has been so lackluster.  I'm sure they are hoping for better stuff with their new venture.  

You mean people weren't statisfied to know what seat number Elder Robert B. Harbertson of the 70 had when he flew American Airlines flight no. 862 on January 17, 1987 from Salt Lake City, UT to Minneapolis, MN? what is this world coming to?

On 1/12/2018 at 10:58 PM, JAHS said:

Yep. They were about to start leaking transcripts from General Conference. 

I heard a rumour they are going to publish the first draft of some of these talks -- the unedited version!  Who knows what deep, dark doctrines are found in these first drafts.

Elder Holland unedited!  What he really thinks about Harry Reid.

Edited by cdowis
4 hours ago, cdowis said:

I heard a rumour they are going to publish the first draft of some of these talks -- the unedited version!  Who knows what deep, dark doctrines are found in these first drafts.

Elder Holland unedited!  What he really thinks about Harry Reid.

I am more interested to find out which of them know how to spell and use proper grammar.

On 1/27/2018 at 2:24 PM, Calm said:

What a shame there are mostly honorable employees and volunteers of the Church.

I wonder what measures were taken by the leadership once the first leaks came out? They have seemed to have dried up.

What if it turns out the church is simply hoarding excess money for no reason other than to hoard? Would you like to know that? One might say tithe and forget about it but theoretically, once the membership gets sufficiently large, the church won't need the excess cash 10% requires. What is sufficient for church needs? Is it moral to continue to extract the widows mite if it is not needed? Sure the church needs money to function as God never gave church leaders some means to gain the necessary money other than getting it from the members, but how much is enough?

You know the church adds in the monetary equivalent of hours worked when it touts its charitable giving. Should members be allowed to do the same thing with respect to tithing? Maybe that will unleash a lot of good works around the world?

I think exposure is a good thing, as long as it's legitimate, and we know it in context. I heard these guys behind all of this today and they were telling of the leaks from the JW's. It's so important IMO, no longer can corrupt faith leaders get a way with things hopefully. Or they better watch their backs because of the ease of exposure now. Or hopefully they don't watch their backs, and we do expose and get rid of them.

I know the church has it's flaws, but I'll take them vs. some other religions. Still not happy with church history or any cover ups, but at least we don't see our leaders buying mansions like other faith leaders. What wiki leaks did was expose some things that make the church look pretty good. 

I hope the church will one day be transparent with monies received. Who cares if the church makes billions, hopefully they'll funnel it correctly. And exposure to it will make sure something is handled appropriately.