Seriously No Politics ×

Another "breaking news" story about Mormon's baptising holocaust victims/other celebrities

bsjkki

I am not sure why this is a news story (again). I think there is enough going on in the world not to have this be a "breaking" ap news story.  I've never understood why, if people think our whole religion is erroneous, why they even care that we do this. But, the article does point out we are trying really hard not to...so why the big deal. I've seen the story numerous places today...just seems weird. https://www.apnews.com/992dd887f7b948d0a08055dff0363aa4/APNewsBreak:-Mormons-perform-baptisms-on-Holocaust-victims

"But Rabbi Gary Greenebaum, the former national director of interreligious affairs at the American Jewish Committee, said he’s seen firsthand that the church takes seriously preventing Holocaust baptisms and said leaders are acting in good faith to honor the agreement.

Greenebaum was brought on by the church to help remedy the issue about seven years ago and receives monthly reports from the database team about potential Holocaust baptism attempts. He estimates they stop five to 12 attempts each month. That fact that only 20 slipped through in a five-year period is a testament to how much money, time and effort the church has devoted to upgrading its computing systems to detect and block unauthorized baptisms.

“I’d like to own the baseball team that batted that well,” Greenebaum said. “They’re seriously doing their work.”

Edited by bsjkki
2 hours ago, bsjkki said:

I am not sure why this is a news story (again). I think there is enough going on in the world not to have this be a "breaking" ap news story.  I've never understood why, if people think our whole religion is erroneous, why they even care that we do this. But, the article does point out we are trying really hard not to...so why the big deal. I've seen the story numerous places today...just seems weird. 

Here's how this probably went down:

Bitter ex-Mormon (Helen Radkey) has unhealthy obsession of hate*.  Spend countless hours just tearing things down.  She puts this story together for a newspaper people, and sends it out to a bunch of different sources.  One of these bunch is an AP reporter that happens to be extra behind on deadlines this holiday season, and just takes the easy story to fulfill a deadline.   Once it's in the AP, other reporters (similarly pressed for time), just use this as a deadline filler.  The reporters probably don't care much at all, just want an easy filler so they can have a little breathing room for the holidays.  The only person in the whole ring that actually cares is Helen Radkey due to her unhealthy obsession. 

2 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said:

I'll try to remember to put her name on the prayer roll at the temple next time I visit.  She needs help.

Amen.  

Edited by Jane_Doe

"Proxy baptisms are recorded in a password-protected part of the database accessible only to church members."

Which means if Radkey herself is finding them, she is in intentional violation of the very standard she is demanding the Church hold to.

"Radkey, who left the LDS church in the mid-1970s and was later excommunicated after publicly criticizing it"

She got upset because a Catholic Saint? (Jesuit) she had decided was her son in a past life had been baptized.  (My memory had screwed up the reason, got the characters right though)  It has been years since I read up on her, she had given an interview where she shared how she had offered her services to the Catholic Church and they turned her down, which turned her off of them. The LDS Church refused to pay her so she decides to make sure they suffer.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/in-mormon-files-researcher-helen-radkey-seeks-to-cause-a-headache-for-romney/2012/02/16/gIQAhL3gIR_story.html?utm_term=.db4f4025513f

She seems impulsive:

"Radkey took three trips to the Vatican in unsuccessful attempts to drum up interest about the Mormon proxy baptisms of Catholic saints. Dejected, she returned to her Salt Lake apartment, where she underwent an epiphany when one of her twin sons brought home a Jewish girl from college.

“I said, ‘I’ve had enough of the Vatican,’ ” she recalled. “I’m going to help the Jews."...

At her request, groups such as the American Gathering of Holocaust Survivors began to pay her for her research, and she sought to convert to Judaism. “The Jews didn’t want me,” she said."

Her "help" is her making money off of them.

------

"It was an interesting childhood," says Matthew Olmstead, one of her 34-year-old sons and an information-technology-management consultant in Los Angeles. "She was on a crusade ... to single-handedly take down the Mormon religion. She was so consumed by that, we had a hard time relating to it."

http://archive.sltrib.com/story.php?ref=/lds/ci_13926671

""I don't think it's right to impose [LDS] rituals on those who didn't share their beliefs when they were alive," she says. "We should be letting souls rest in peace and let them be who they were.""

That last bit is strange from a woman insisting a Catholic Jesuit is her son, it is apparently okay for her to announce things about a dead person instead of letting them be who they were.

"She bounced around from religion to religion, and soon after her third marriage fell apart, visited the shrine of Gabriel Lalemant, a 17th-century Canadian Jesuit who she believes was her son in a past life. (She still keeps a shrine to him, complete with a relic, in her bedroom.) She was thus appalled to discover at the library that Mormons had performed a proxy baptism for Lalemant."

-----

She uses the library against its rules and then makes money off of the Church by doing so.  I think she is a full blown hypocrite .

"But Remington is offended by any individuals who use the Family History Library for personal and/or professional research yet seek to criticize or undermine the purpose for which the library exists.

"From the standpoint of a professional genealogist," Remington says, "I find that unethical.""

-----

"

Whistle-blowing ex-Mormon researcher Helen Radkey, who uncovered the proxy baptism records that made headlines recently, says an account she was surreptitiously using to gain access to the database has been blocked.

“I have been effectively stopped,” Radkey told The Salt Lake Tribune. She said the church was “of course” targeting her.

The church, though, says Radkey’s blocked account was part of its effort to stop inappropriate proxy baptisms and not about Radkey.

“It is ironic for someone to claim they are being targeted by the measures we have taken to prevent unauthorized submissions for baptism,” Purdy said. “We are doing exactly what we have been asked to do and what we said we would do - denying access to names that should not be submitted because they are against our policy.”

Purdy said no one by the name of Helen Radkey has an account with the church’s database, known as New FamilySearch.

“If she, or anyone else, is misusing a church member’s identity to search for Holocaust names, then the system is set up to block those kinds of activities. There have been a handful of accounts blocked so far.

“We have said before that no system is foolproof but that we were committed to improving our ability to prevent unauthorized names from being submitted for baptism,” he continued. “To complain about us doing just that is baseless.""

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/03/09/mormons-crack-down-on-proxy-baptisms-whistleblowers-access-blocked/comment-page-19/

Edited by Calm
45 minutes ago, Calm said:

"Proxy baptisms are recorded in a password-protected part of the database accessible only to church members."

Which means if Radkey herself is finding them, she is in intentional violation of the very standard she is demanding the Church hold to.

From theguardian:

"The researcher, Helen Radkey, is a former Mormon who left the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the mid-1970s and was excommunicated after publicly criticising it. She was blocked from the baptisms section of the massive collection of genealogical records the Utah-based church makes available to the public through its website, familysearch.org, until she was given a login by a friend. "

She seems downright mentally ill.

I get that some people leave the Church, and sometimes for a decent reason.  When that happens, I do wish them the best of life in their new walk- wherever it may be.  But this lady... she's not moving on with her life- she's not happy, but consumed by hatred.  It's not good for her.