Seriously No Politics ×

Faith based healthcare?

gopher

41 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

I like it. Obviously hospital care could still be a problem but it is a good step.

I kind of Like the old model used in India and that part of the world in the past. You paid your doctor when you were well and nothing when you are unwell. A quality incentive system. :) 

Chronic health people who were rarely well would need a new system.

2 hours ago, bluebell said:

My parents town (pop. 6,000) has a dr. group right now that does not take insurance.  Instead, they charge $40 a month (per person) for complete health care at the clinic level (no hospitals).  For that price they do house visits and you can call them anytime day or night and you pay nothing over that $35.  A lot of the companies in town who otherwise can't afford to offer their employers health benefits offer them this instead (with the company paying for the monthly due).  My mom works in the health care industry in that town and it's been a couple of years and so far she says it's working really well.  

It's not a perfect solution obviously (since there isn't coverage for anything you would need to go to a hospital for) but it does fill a need.

That’s excellent. Private doctors, clinics, and even emergenciy centers would thrive if left free to offer their services directly to patients. When patients and doctors can deal directly with each other everyone wins except for the beaurocrats. 

A friend told me about her brother in law who works for CES and loves his church healthcare.  Any chance the church will make it available to other members?  The church is already involved in many areas of the lives of members - education, employment, welfare, etc.  You are exempt from the ACA penalty if you use faith based healthcare in operation before 2000.  I don't know anything about the coverage CES gets, but my friend said they are very innovative in some of their care.  For example, you can see your doctor over videoconferencing.

On 12/9/2017 at 10:51 AM, bluebell said:

My parents town (pop. 6,000) has a dr. group right now that does not take insurance.  Instead, they charge $40 a month (per person) for complete health care at the clinic level (no hospitals).  For that price they do house visits and you can call them anytime day or night and you pay nothing over that $35.  A lot of the companies in town who otherwise can't afford to offer their employers health benefits offer them this instead (with the company paying for the monthly due).  My mom works in the health care industry in that town and it's been a couple of years and so far she says it's working really well.  

It's not a perfect solution obviously (since there isn't coverage for anything you would need to go to a hospital for) but it does fill a need.

Add a catastrophic policy for hospital stays, and you're all set.

I forgot prescriptions: $4 generic prescriptions from WalMart and many grocery store pharmacies.

Edited by mnn727
  • 1 year later...
On 12/12/2017 at 4:21 PM, gopher said:

A friend told me about her brother in law who works for CES and loves his church healthcare.  Any chance the church will make it available to other members?  The church is already involved in many areas of the lives of members - education, employment, welfare, etc.  You are exempt from the ACA penalty if you use faith based healthcare in operation before 2000.  I don't know anything about the coverage CES gets, but my friend said they are very innovative in some of their care.  For example, you can see your doctor over videoconferencing.

Probably not, the Church is unlikely to want to be tied to an insurance company or present it as their choice.

Imagine people complaining to their bishops about how much their medication costs and expecting him to fix it. People expecting forgiveness for medical debts. It would be a nightmare.