Seriously No Politics ×

Steve Bannon criticizes Mitt Romney for his missionary service

Gray

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/363460-bannon-rips-romney-for-moore-criticism-hes-still-bitter

Former White House chief strategist Stephen Bannon on Tuesday ripped Mitt Romney for criticizing Alabama Senate candidate Roy Moore, going after the former GOP presidential candidate's lack of military service.  “You hid behind your religion. You went to France to be a missionary while guys were dying in rice paddies in Vietnam,” Bannon said at a rally for Moore. 

Romney, who is Mormon, has been critical of Moore, calling him unfit for office. On Monday, Romney said if Moore were to serve in the Senate, it would be “a stain on the GOP and on the nation.” 

“He’s still bitter about Donald Trump. Embrace it Mitt, he is president of the United States, and commander of armed forces, something you so miserably failed at,” Bannon said Tuesday.  Romney received a missionary deferment during the Vietnam War. President Trump also got a deferment from military service in Vietnam, citing bone spurs.

I'm not sure there's much sting when the human embodiment of liver disease and a meth overdose are insulting your religious service, but there it is.

Steve Bannon is a good man.   His family remained in the urban area of his hometown and enjoyed the increasing diversity.

I have read Mitt Romney's book and have come to understand that he really does not understand conservatism.  It turns out in the last two years he have revealed himself to be solidly in the globalist camp and firmly ensconced in the ranks of the establishment elite (the swamp).

No question but I would support Bannon over Mitt any day.

6 minutes ago, longview said:

Steve Bannon is a good man.   His family remained in the urban area of his hometown and enjoyed the increasing diversity.

I have read Mitt Romney's book and have come to understand that he really does not understand conservatism.  It turns out in the last two years he have revealed himself to be solidly in the globalist camp and firmly ensconced in the ranks of the establishment elite (the swamp).

No question but I would support Bannon over Mitt any day.

I agree with you. If Romney had 1/10th the moxie of a Steve Bannon, there’s a good chance he would have won the 2012 election. But it’s probably a good thing he didn’t win because, for years to come, the world might very well have associated the Latter-Day Saints with a feckless, pandering politician with no real core conservative principles. I have a family member who works in the Church office building and this person said some of the Church leaders privately felt the the Church dodged a negative publicity bullet when Romney lost.

This said he was three years on sea duty on the Paul F Foster, but only reports being in the Persian Gulf:

https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2017/02/01/steve-bannon-and-the-national-security-council-what-we-can-learn-from-his-navy-career/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Paul_F._Foster

Just states Indian Ocean and Western Pacific.  Seems unlikely given he joined in 1978

Edited by Calm
1 hour ago, longview said:

I have read Mitt Romney's book and have come to understand that he really does not understand conservatism.

Just for my clarification: Your contention is that Bannon (and by extension Trump) represent conservatism more than Romney?

I ask because this is a surprise to me. Not because Romney is a Mormon, but because I always had this feeling that Mormons were primarily conservative because they believed that conservatism was the more moral party (more ethical) and it seems abundantly clear that the Bannon/Trump version of Republicanism is not focused on one's individuality morality.

Is a politician's individuality morality no longer part of conservatism?

And in advance, please don't bring up any liberal politician's morality. That's a red herring. I'm asking directly: does a politician's personal morality matter anymore to conservatives?

I think the best way to understand Mitt Romney’s politics is that he tends to lean towards conservatism but overall he’s a pragmatist. He likes ro think of solutions and that has seved him very well in business. He will not do something just because it’s cobservative or liberal Because it’s, at least to him,  pragmatic.

Overall I think Romney goveren Massachusetts conservatively. He wasn’t going to win everything and there were some things he had to give to the Left just to survive in his office. But, overall, I think he did a good job as that state’s governor and definitely sided towards conservatism. Most definitely not in everything but, overall, yes. 

28 minutes ago, Darren10 said:

I think the best way to understand Mitt Romney’s politics is that he tends to lean towards conservatism but overall he’s a pragmatist. He likes ro think of solutions and that has seved him very well in business. He will not do something just because it’s cobservative or liberal Because it’s, at least to him,  pragmatic.

Overall I think Romney goveren Massachusetts conservatively. He wasn’t going to win everything and there were some things he had to give to the Left just to survive in his office. But, overall, I think he did a good job as that state’s governor and definitely sided towards conservatism. Most definitely not in everything but, overall, yes. 

But you think Bannon/Trump are more conservative?

Does your view of conservatism divorce the personal morality of the politician from the equation?

51 minutes ago, Gray said:

I think you're confusing good with "utterly corrupt and wicked", and conservatism with despotism (the GOP is having a similar struggle).

I think it's cute that Bannon/Trump are standing up to the "elite". They are the elite. Everything Bannon's guy has done in office has been to benefit the elite. But I'd love to hear your reasoning why a two Hollywood guys, one of them who worked at Goldman Sachs and the other a wealthy real estate tycoon, are not "the elite".

I'm glad that there are still some principled conservatives left, like Romney and McMullin, who don't advocate for treason or support child molesting judges.

Two thumbs way up!