Seriously No Politics ×

I am missing Activities Committees!

bsjkki

10 hours ago, bsjkki said:

I will never understand why the church got rid of activities committees. The quality of ward activities has gone down and now, stressed out Presidencies are even more stressed out trying to add planning a party on top of everything else. My attempt at delegating the responsibility out has yielded missed results and not been entirely successful so I will have to rethink this approach. In some ways, it has been even more nerve wracking! Feeling a bit crazy...thanks for letting me vent.

You can still have committees, but they are now led by the ward council and are for that activity only rather than being a standing committee.  It seems to work in my ward.

21 minutes ago, bluebell said:

Have you brought up these concerns during Ward Council?  Like kfisher said, each party should be delegated during ward council meetings, and problems should be solved there as well.

I may do that. Our ward delegates each party out to a ward organization so it falls on a Presidency to plan. I tried delegating it down the chain but it has not worked as well as I thought it would. Does the Bishop ask random ward members to serve on the committee's?

4 minutes ago, bsjkki said:

I may do that. Our ward delegates each party out to a ward organization so it falls on a Presidency to plan. I tried delegating it down the chain but it has not worked as well as I thought it would. Does the Bishop ask random ward members to serve on the committee's?

Our ward does that too, with ward organizations over each event, but we always go over each party during ward council as the day of it approaches, and even though one presidency is in 'charge,' all presidencies participate to some degree.  The in-charge-group is the one who delegates responsibilities to the others, usually during ward council but then those responsibilities are followed up during ward council to make sure they are getting done.

57 minutes ago, bsjkki said:

For example, the RS was in charge of our ward summer bbq but the YW were in charge of activities and I think the HP group was asked to help with food.  The High Priests are in charge of our ward Christmas party, but the Primary has been asked to help with the entertainment and the Elder's quorum passed out invites to the neighborhood.

Edited by bluebell
1 hour ago, bsjkki said:

Does the Bishop ask random ward members to serve on the committee's?

That's what we do in my ward, although random is not the exact word I'd used to describe the selection process.  :)  The committee would be chaired by a member of the ward council (or at least someone in their presidency).  We also try and have a counselor in the bishopric present at each committee meeting.

15 hours ago, bsjkki said:

I will never understand why the church got rid of activities committees. The quality of ward activities has gone down and now, stressed out Presidencies are even more stressed out trying to add planning a party on top of everything else. My attempt at delegating the responsibility out has yielded missed results and not been entirely successful so I will have to rethink this approach. In some ways, it has been even more nerve wracking! Feeling a bit crazy...thanks for letting me vent.

Actually...though I had no idea...this is kind of sad...for those people that enjoyed this kind of thing..planning and participating without having to teach a class...or something else..it was a fun thing.  I was part of the committee once and we had such fantastic ideas..I think this is a real shame...the fun parts of the church seem to be going away.  At the time I participated, I was a young person representing the youth and worked real well with those that were older and representing other organizations. 

Edited by Jeanne
49 minutes ago, Jeanne said:

Actually...though I had no idea...this is kind of sad...for those people that enjoyed this kind of thing..planning and participating without having to teach a class...or something else..it was a fun thing.  I was part of the committee once and we had such fantastic ideas..I think this is a real shame...the fun parts of the church seem to be going away.  At the time I participated, I was a young person representing the youth and worked real well with those that were older and representing other organizations. 

I agree, I was also on a couple of committees. I think the church's simplifications on many things in the church now isn't always the greatest. I miss the fun parts too.

I was asked to plan the food for our ward Christmas party right after we got rid of activities committees and no one knew what the heck they were doing.  It was pretty much a nightmare. 

On 12/5/2017 at 1:38 PM, Jeanne said:

As a one time chariman, I would have loved to do something else as well as plan for the activities. It is one of those callings where you are real busy for a short while and then you have nothing for quite awhile. 

I did not enjoy the calling and was glad to get out. I'm not a big party planner.

Having the ward counsel doing it makes more sense to me. I find that when all of the ward organizations are involved then there is more support for the activities. I totally get the idea of being a leader and being overwhelmed with one more thing to do, but I like seeing how much better the organizations step up in working towards the mutual goal. 

On 12/5/2017 at 2:29 PM, Tacenda said:

I agree, I was also on a couple of committees. I think the church's simplifications on many things in the church now isn't always the greatest. I miss the fun parts too.

I really haven't seen the "fun parts" lesson because of the change. It might just depend on the ward.

On 12/5/2017 at 11:51 AM, bluebell said:

Our ward does that too, with ward organizations over each event, but we always go over each party during ward council as the day of it approaches, and even though one presidency is in 'charge,' all presidencies participate to some degree.  The in-charge-group is the one who delegates responsibilities to the others, usually during ward council but then those responsibilities are followed up during ward council to make sure they are getting done.

We are trying to have fun at this party but people think a Christmas Party should be a solemn affair--just got a nasty email that it did not sound like it would be Christ centered enough. They want a dinner and a program. Oh well, you can't make everybody happy. Oh joy ;) I grumble about things on this board because I don't think my opinion always matters and must be shared and offend people. I'd much rather debate with all of you so things don't get too personal. I've learned a lot here too. Thank you! 

1 hour ago, Rain said:

As a one time chariman, I would have loved to do something else as well as plan for the activities. It is one of those callings where you are real busy for a short while and then you have nothing for quite awhile. 

I did not enjoy the calling and was glad to get out. I'm not a big party planner.

Having the ward counsel doing it makes more sense to me. I find that when all of the ward organizations are involved then there is more support for the activities. I totally get the idea of being a leader and being overwhelmed with one more thing to do, but I like seeing how much better the organizations step up in working towards the mutual goal. 

I can see how this calling might not be the right fit for everybody. I'm just feeling completely overwhelmed with this party but it will be over in 3 days! I have delegated so much out--I hope all the moving parts come together and that people can have fun! (Except for people who don't think you should have fun...I'm talking about Mr. Sourpuss from my email.) 

9 minutes ago, bsjkki said:

We are trying to have fun at this party but people think a Christmas Party should be a solemn affair--just got a nasty email that it did not sound like it would be Christ centered enough. They want a dinner and a program. Oh well, you can't make everybody happy. Oh joy ;) I grumble about things on this board because I don't think my opinion always matters and must be shared and offend people. I'd much rather debate with all of you so things don't get too personal. I've learned a lot here too. Thank you! 

I can see how this calling might not be the right fit for everybody. I'm just feeling completely overwhelmed with this party but it will be over in 3 days! I have delegated so much out--I hope all the moving parts come together and that people can have fun! (Except for people who don't think you should have fun...I'm talking about Mr. Sourpuss from my email.) 

Yes, if it isn't one thing it's the other. Some complain about breakfast for the party (I love it!).  Some will complain about dinner.  Some will complain because it is too serious.  Some will complain that Santa is there.  Some complain because it is always ham.  Some complain because you didn't have the traditional ham.  You just have to do your best and either ignore the complaints or let them know you are turning their name into the bishop to do it next year.  

I do get being overwhelmed.  And I get the moving parts.  I half suggest you don't answer your phone the day of the party and have a message that says "if you are shirking out on what you said you would do then find someone to replace you!" 

13 hours ago, bsjkki said:

Some people are such turds.  The next time you get an email like that, just reply with "I'll be sure and forward this on to the bishop, thanks for the feedback" and go on your way!

28 minutes ago, bluebell said:

Some people are such turds.  The next time you get an email like that, just reply with "I'll be sure and forward this on to the bishop, thanks for the feedback" and go on your way!

Oh...he sent it to the ward council 3 days before the event but it was left for me to respond to it since my organization is in charge. It was a lovely thing to deal with yesterday. ;) I responded appropriately and I realize you can not make everyone happy. To be honest, I have not enjoyed a lot of Christmas parties myself but I acknowledge, I have ADD and get bored easily. I don't want to sit through a solemn program at a Christmas Party or 10 musical numbers. In years past, trying to corral my young kids at a party is not my idea of a fun time.  The difference is, I grumble to my spouse and would not presume to think to send an email to the ward council saying I was embarrassed to invite my neighbors to our party.  

Edited by bsjkki
47 minutes ago, bsjkki said:

Oh...he sent it to the ward council 3 days before the event but it was left for me to respond to it since my organization is in charge. It was a lovely thing to deal with yesterday. ;) I responded appropriately and I realize you can not make everyone happy. To be honest, I have not enjoyed a lot of Christmas parties myself but I acknowledge, I have ADD and get bored easily. I don't want to sit through a solemn program at a Christmas Party or 10 musical numbers. In years past, trying to corral my young kids at a party is not my idea of a fun time.  The difference is, I grumble to my spouse and would not presume to think to send an email to the ward council saying I was embarrassed to invite my neighbors to our party.  

My favorite ward Christmas party was early in my marriage, it was a luau next to the Utah lake with Hawaiian dancers and music! Now every year it seems they have to be totally spiritual. Another couple of favorites was a ward talent show and another was skits. Not anymore apparently, it's not been like that for several years. And apparently having Santa afterwards is no longer allowed. May just be my ward area I don't know about other's wards. 

Edited by Tacenda
On 12/7/2017 at 10:04 AM, Tacenda said:

My favorite ward Christmas party was early in my marriage, it was a luau next to the Utah lake with Hawaiian dancers and music! Now every year it seems they have to be totally spiritual. Another couple of favorites was a ward talent show and another was skits. Not anymore apparently, it's not been like that for several years. And apparently having Santa afterwards is no longer allowed. May just be my ward area I don't know about other's wards. 

we didn't have Santa or the Bishop at our party either this year, I think it was just an oversight. 

I'm sure you've heard the three phases of men?

You believe in Santa Claus

You are Santa Claus

You look like Santa Claus

57 minutes ago, Duncan said:

we didn't have Santa or the Bishop at our party either this year, I think it was just an oversight. 

I'm sure you've heard the three phases of men?

You believe in Santa Claus

You are Santa Claus

You look like Santa Claus

:lol:

Had my ward party last night. Dinner and one musical number and home. It was almost like they just wanted to get it over with so people could go home.

No Santa, but the new bishop was there. I happen to sit with the old bishop and his family with my husband, he was very relieved to not be bishop anymore, or maybe my husband put the words in his mouth. He's a great guy and was a great bishop. 

How was your ward party, I picture the Canaadians having a humdinger of a time!! 

2 hours ago, Tacenda said:

:lol:

Had my ward party last night. Dinner and one musical number and home. It was almost like they just wanted to get it over with so people could go home.

No Santa, but the new bishop was there. I happen to sit with the old bishop and his family with my husband, he was very relieved to not be bishop anymore, or maybe my husband put the words in his mouth. He's a great guy and was a great bishop. 

How was your ward party, I picture the Canaadians having a humdinger of a time!! 

fun fun! yeah, it was okay! first time we've had turkey in years, usually in years past it's potluck or ham or something. I know one year the then Bishop didn't want to do it but the ward council burned him if effigy instead so we had hotdogs at least for that:ph34r: This is how we have fun!!!!!

Edited by Duncan
20 minutes ago, Duncan said:

fun fun! yeah, it was okay! first time we've had turkey in years, usually in years past it's potluck or ham or something. I know one year the then Bishop didn't want to do it but the ward council burned him if effigy instead so we had hotdogs at least for that:ph34r: This is how we have fun!!!!!

LMBO!!!! I wish I had her energy. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/6/2017 at 5:55 PM, bsjkki said:

I like the socials and agree they should be fun, but I also think they should be kept as simple as possible. A decorated tree, some light refreshments, some musical talent, group singing carols, maybe a Christmas story, and time to socialize. The 3-hour block doesn’t foster friendly mingling. We need activities as much as we need the serious stuff.

15 minutes ago, Bernard Gui said:

I like the socials and agree they should be fun, but I also think they should be kept as simple as possible. A decorated tree, some light refreshments, some musical talent, group singing carols, maybe a Christmas story, and time to socialize. The 3-hour block doesn’t foster friendly mingling. We need activities as much as we need the serious stuff.

I agree! We had a very social Christmas Party. It’s amazing we can spend 3 hours together every week and not talk to each other.