Seriously No Politics ×

Sabbath Day emphasis as revelation?

Duncan

2 minutes ago, longview said:

We as a people became slothful about observing the Sabbath and denying ourselves the blessings/benefits of keeping it holy.  The LORD in His tender mercies has prompted our leadership to "re-energize" this part of the Gospel.

awesome! do you have the source for the recent revelation?!

2 minutes ago, Duncan said:

awesome! do you have the source for the recent revelation?!

Not specifically.  This "recommitting" is permeating the entire leadership all the way down to local bishops/branch presidents.  Kind of similar to President Snow's epiphany on recommitting to the principle of tithing (which you could say is a definite revelation but not added to the D&C).

1 hour ago, Duncan said:

But recently!!!! Someone gave a devotional or something and said the Q12 and 1P were praying about how to best lead the Kingdom and the revelation was to preach the Sabbath

Sounds like inspiration to me, rather than a new revelation.  The Holy Spirit often prompts us to do righteous things.  Nothing new in that.  Or, are you saying that every prompting is a revelation?

13 hours ago, Duncan said:

I remember reading or thought I did that the recent emphasis on Sabbath day observance came as a revelation? Does anyone have a source or am I misremembering?

I recall it began a couple of years ago:

July 2015 https://www.lds.org/church/news/church-leaders-call-for-better-observance-of-sabbath-day?lang=eng&_r=1

October 2015: https://www.deseretnews.com/article/865638288/LDS-Church-leaders-continue-to-emphasize-Sabbath-day-observance.html

December 2015 https://www.lds.org/church/news/leaders-hope-emphasis-on-sabbath-observance-increases-faith-in-god?lang=eng

It is interesting that Elder Nelson's talk seemed to introduce this emphasis in April 2015: https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2015/04/the-sabbath-is-a-delight?lang=eng

As far as the emphasis coming from revelation, Elder Ballard said in his October 2015 General Conference talk, "God is at the Helm": "The recent emphasis of making the Sabbath a delight is a direct result of inspiration from the Lord through the leaders of the Church. Ward council members should assist the bishopric several weeks in advance by reviewing music and topics that have been recommended for each sacrament meeting."

4 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said:

Sounds like inspiration to me, rather than a new revelation.  The Holy Spirit often prompts us to do righteous things.  Nothing new in that.  Or, are you saying that every prompting is a revelation?

I recall an Apostle saying they were praying or something and the were told to emphasize the Sabbath day, but who that was and what he specifically said I can't recall

6 hours ago, CV75 said:

As far as the emphasis coming from revelation, Elder Ballard said in his October 2015 General Conference talk, "God is at the Helm": .....................

Yes, but is all that "revelation"?  Or inspiration, or prompting?  Or are these distinctions without a difference?

We often hear the plaintive cry on this board that revelation has ceased in the LDS Church.  If revelation is a daily occurrence, and does not need to be published or codified as Scripture (does not need to be part of the Canon), how do we define it?  Or is that even a legitimate question?

3 minutes ago, Robert F. Smith said:

Yes, but is all that "revelation"?  Or inspiration, or prompting?  Or are these distinctions without a difference?

We often hear the plaintive cry on this board that revelation has ceased in the LDS Church.  If revelation is a daily occurrence, and does not need to be published or codified as Scripture (does not need to be part of the Canon), how do we define it?  Or is that even a legitimate question?

if I could find the quotation I could help you!!!!

7 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said:

If a prompting comes from God it is revelation. Attempts to categorize and split revelations into different piles will probably end in insanity.

3 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said:

Well, then logically if everything is revelation, then nothing is revelation.

That is not logical at all. Change it around and see if it works as a logical statement. If everything that exists is real then nothing that exists is real. Nope.

It is also not what I said in any case. My saying that all communication from God is revelation does not mean, for example, that flatulence qualifies as revelation.

1 hour ago, The Nehor said:

That is not logical at all. Change it around and see if it works as a logical statement. If everything that exists is real then nothing that exists is real. Nope.

It is also not what I said in any case. My saying that all communication from God is revelation does not mean, for example, that flatulence qualifies as revelation.

What you said was

5 hours ago, The Nehor said:

If a prompting comes from God it is revelation. Attempts to categorize and split revelations into different piles will probably end in insanity.

If the nuances of descriptive language have no value, then of course we can do away with them forthwith.  Why bother to categorize anything, when simple monomania will do?  Why do the Brethren and Holy Writ persist in splitting revelation into various groupings?  So why even bother to pretend that communication from God comes in various forms, or that some humans might be more receptive than others -- so that something might be lost in translation.  Just declare every day a pentecostal day and have done with it.

Edited by Robert F. Smith
1 hour ago, Robert F. Smith said:

What you said was

If the nuances of descriptive language have no value, then of course we can do away with them forthwith.  Why bother to categorize anything, when simple monomania will do?  Why do the Brethren and Holy Writ persist in splitting revelation into various groupings?  So why even bother to pretend that communication from God comes in various forms, or that some humans might be more receptive than others -- so that something might be lost in translation.  Just declare every day a pentecostal day and have done with it.

I did not say descriptive language has no value. It can be used to describe revelation.

If calling revelation revelation is monomania then I am a monomaniac.

The Brethren and Holy Writ do not spend a lot of time subdividing revelation. The only distinction the Brethren seem to make is what is canon and, even then, a canonical revelation is not necessarily of greater or lesser value than a non-canonical one.

Saying revelation is revelation does not imply that everyone will get it or understand it.

If declaring that will get me out of this weird discussion I will oblige. Happy Pentecost everyone!

7 hours ago, The Nehor said:

I did not say descriptive language has no value. It can be used to describe revelation.

If calling revelation revelation is monomania then I am a monomaniac.

The Brethren and Holy Writ do not spend a lot of time subdividing revelation. The only distinction the Brethren seem to make is what is canon and, even then, a canonical revelation is not necessarily of greater or lesser value than a non-canonical one.

Saying revelation is revelation does not imply that everyone will get it or understand it.

If declaring that will get me out of this weird discussion I will oblige. Happy Pentecost everyone!

If that is all true, then why (for example) does Elder Richard G. Scott carefully distinguish between "revelation" and "inspiration"?

The Holy Ghost communicates important information that we need to guide us in our mortal journey. When it is crisp and clear and essential, it warrants the title of revelation. When it is a series of promptings we often have to guide us step by step to a worthy objective, for the purpose of this message, it is inspiration.  https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2012/04/how-to-obtain-revelation-and-inspiration-for-your-personal-life?lang=eng&query=scott,+(name%3a"Richard+G.+Scott") .  Cf. H. Wheeler Robinson, Inspiration and Revelation in the Old Testament (Oxford, 1946).

Why does the Book of Mormon use both terms "prophecy" and "revelation" in tandem?  Are they simply synonymous?

The KJV translation doesn't even use the word "revelation" in the OT, while it does use it in the NT (reflecting the Greek term apokalypsis).

The Hebrew Bible uses a variety of terms: nebua "prophecy," ne'um "oracle," hazon "vision," halom "dream," bat-qol "still small voice," etc.

21 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said:

According to Elder Ballard, it was "inspiration from the Lord through the leaders of the Church." To me that qualifies as revelation, but evidently perhaps not to someone else who might expect it to be some previously unknown point of doctrine to be canonized. I think revelation, inspiration, prompting, etc. can be thought of as different things which can converge at a union set if analyzed through Venn diagramming. I think on a discussion board, people can explain what they mean as necessary, so I think such questions are legitimate when asked in good faith or if a mutually-agreed upon concrete definition is required for discussion purposes.