Seriously No Politics ×

How did you meet you wife/husband/eternal companion

PetiteLDS

I met my husband the night he got home from his mission.  There was a group of us (from a local college ward) that hung around together and his best friend was one of the bunch.  He brought him over to a movie night at one of the group's homes.  We watched Breakfast at Tiffany's.  Neither one of us liked it.

My husband was a FHE leader for our USU student ward group. I thought he was an RM. Turns out he was a year younger than I was. We both went on missions and I wrote him till I had about 5 months left. I came back to USU, heard he was engaged, picked up the phone to congratulate him, but he was no longer engaged and we were married a year after I got home. 

Back in the early days of the Internet there was an LDS Singles website. My (then future) wife and I both signed up on the same day for a 2 week free trial. We hit it off and both cancelled our accounts before ever being charged. Married/sealed 5 months later. its been 19 years now.

1 hour ago, Rain said:

My husband was a FHE leader for our USU student ward group. I thought he was an RM. Turns out he was a year younger than I was. We both went on missions and I wrote him till I had about 5 months left. I came back to USU, heard he was engaged, picked up the phone to congratulate him, but he was no longer engaged and we were married a year after I got home. 

Wow...talk about meant to be together....!!

i probably don't qualify to answer...but hey...my husband is eternal...I am eternal...let's be eternal together.:P

Anyway...I had a dorm room on a government post and my husband worked for housing and had a master key...I was in my housecoat and had steam set curlers in my hair when I stepped out of the room a bit and locked my self out!!  Yo....yoo hoo...you, with the master key...help!!  End of story...he invited me to breakfast in the community dorm downstairs and I ate pancakes with his cute 3 year old...:D

Edited by Jeanne
55 minutes ago, Jeanne said:

Wow...talk about meant to be together....!!

And if that were the half of it. His brother lived in my home ward, but I didn't know him because I was living on campus. Over Christmas break I discovered my dad was his brother's home teacher so I arranged to be dad's partner for the month. Before my mission and after he had left I lived at home for awhile and became the primary pianist to his SIL, the chorister. 

Somewhere in there, his middle brother also lived in the ward and his wife was my sister's YW leader. I think this was while I was on my mission because I never knew them then. 

Then for a summer the oldest brother lived with the middle brother while he finished his master's degree. 

I always kind felt there were ways for us to meet up with each other if one way didn't work. Part of the plan.

4 years and a lot of things happened in between that meant even more to me, but yes I believe we were really meant to be together, despite the fact that I thoroughly believe that we have agency and could have been happy with other people as well. I'm glad we chose each other.  We both have our imperfections and have been through a lot, but sometimes I feel like I am living a real live fairy tale.

8 minutes ago, Rain said:

And if that were the half of it. His brother lived in my home ward, but I didn't know him because I was living on campus. Over Christmas break I discovered my dad was his brother's home teacher so I arranged to be dad's partner for the month. Before my mission and after he had left I lived at home for awhile and became the primary pianist to his SIL, the chorister. 

Somewhere in there, his middle brother also lived in the ward and his wife was my sister's YW leader. I think this was while I was on my mission because I never knew them then. 

Then for a summer the oldest brother lived with the middle brother while he finished his master's degree. 

I always kind felt there were ways for us to meet up with each other if one way didn't work. Part of the plan.

4 years and a lot of things happened in between that meant even more to me, but yes I believe we were really meant to be together, despite the fact that I thoroughly believe that we have agency and could have been happy with other people as well. I'm glad we chose each other.  We both have our imperfections and have been through a lot, but sometimes I feel like I am living a real live fairy tale.

8 minutes ago, Rain said:

I so love this..you know...this would make a great LDS movie!!  Sorry about the double quote...I have cat on my lap...

14 hours ago, Rain said:

Definitely the Mormon way! :D

I was a custodian at the SWKT Tower at BYU Provo. I worked with a former elder missionary I knew years before at the MTC, a gifted musician in his own right. He and another crew member said, “Darren, did you meet the new girl?” “No,” I replied. They laughed and groaned a bit and said in unison, “you should marry her.” I met her that day. She was very weird and annoyed me. She and I got married a year later. 

Edited by Darren10
11 hours ago, Garden Girl said:

In 1960, came home from my freshman year at BYU Provo... took what I thought would be a summer job before returning to BYU... big company... met my husband... I was on the way down the hallway to the cafeteria for my break when this man was walking toward me.  I glanced at him and walked past... stopped and turned around to look after him... he had stopped, turned around, and was looking at me... a smile passed between us.  The next time I was in the cafeteria he came over and asked if he could join me... that was the beginning.  He was not LDS, but was a wonderful man... I fell head over heels so to speak... I did not return to BYU.  Broke my parents' hearts by eloping to Las Vegas.  I became inactive at age 20, until I reactivated at age 55 when I finally paid attention to the Spirit who had tugged at me through the years.  We were married for 38 years, and my folks came to really love him.  He never joined the Church, but was very supportive of me when I told him I was really feeling the need to return to Church, and was leaning more and more toward the Church when he died unexpectedly from complications following surgery, 3 years after I had reactivated... so I felt comfortable having his Ordinances performed for him, including my being sealed to him.

Here I am now, age 77, widowed for 21 years, with only memories of a very special life with a man I loved dearly, and who I believe is waiting for me, perhaps somewhat impatiently...

GG

I love this story! God bless.

14 hours ago, mnn727 said:

Back in the early days of the Internet there was an LDS Singles website. My (then future) wife and I both signed up on the same day for a 2 week free trial. We hit it off and both cancelled our accounts before ever being charged. Married/sealed 5 months later. its been 19 years now.

What was the name of that site? 

Edited by Darren10
2 hours ago, mnn727 said:

To the best of my recollection it was the LDS Single Mingle, of course that was 19 years ago, I may be wrong. 

Ah, OK. My brother-in-law developed the website Y Chat right around the time you described. I thought it would be cool if that was the site you and your wife met through but then I got thinking that there was no fees at all for that site. Oh well, you're married, that's all that counts. :)