Seriously No Politics ×

University shooting

This is within walking distance of where my daughter and I started going for her ECT treatment yesterday morning at 4 AM.  They have shut done campus classes for today.  Wonder if they will be doing her Wednesday morning treatment.  I think I will be quite spooked.  We were just talking about how relaxing it was to drive over there in the dark with no one else around.

So unreal.

"about 8:15 p.m. Monday, a woman came to the campus and reported that her husband had assaulted her while they were camping in Red Butte Canyon, University of Utah Police Chief Dale Brophy said. While she was being treated for an unspecified injury just before 9 p.m., Brophy said, the woman’s husband killed a person in a carjacking at the mouth of the canyon."

14 hours ago, bluebell said:

That is so sad.  I read that the shooting victim was an international student, going to school at the U.

It sure sounds like ChenWei Guo was a great guy.  This from the Minnesota press (where the shooter is from):

“Guo, one of thousands of international students at the University of Utah, was a freshman from Beijing who came to the U.S. in 2012 and dreamed of owning his own consulting company. He was studying pre-computer science.”

“He was a member of the Mormon church, having converted at age 16, served as a missionary in Provo and recently convinced his parents to join him, according to Steve Comrie, a leader of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints congregation that included Guo.”

“Guo was “a handsome man who had a quick smile,” was confident in his command of English and considered a leader in the congregation, Comrie said.”

“Rachel Tam, a 24-year-old friend of Guo, said he would speak in a moving and powerful way about his faith.”

“Tam said Guo also loved to dance and wowed his friends on the dance floor with hip hop moves at a church event in August.”

On 2017-10-31 at 8:01 AM, bluebell said:

That is so sad.  I read that the shooting victim was an international student, going to school at the U.

His smile was sweet.  He will no doubt be missed by his friends and family.

Just thought I'd add to this, looks like the Shooter was from Pueblo, that's a really bad place.  Also, guessing from the tattoo he had on his face he was maybe part of a gang?  I feel for Utah, you're getting so many slimeballs moving in, like everywhere else it's getting ruined. 

8 hours ago, poptart said:

Just thought I'd add to this, looks like the Shooter was from Pueblo, that's a really bad place.  Also, guessing from the tattoo he had on his face he was maybe part of a gang?  I feel for Utah, you're getting so many slimeballs moving in, like everywhere else it's getting ruined. 

More likely he was just running from Colorado rather than moving to Utah, from what I have heard.