Seriously No Politics ×

Senator Flake's Speech

Nofear

I dislike it when a politician uses his/her religion to pander to his/her constituents. IIRC Bill Orton (Democrat) defeated his incumbent Republican opponent (Karl Snow), who used the LDS religion as a crutch. The 3rd district (Provo area leans heavily on the Republican side), the  Provo area residents also found this political tactic appalling and Orton won in a upset. If I were in that district I would have voted for Orton as well. BTW I still would, we lost him too early, I miss him.

Admittedly, I am a Republican, I usually vote red or for the person, one who will vote the majority the way I would.

The religious factor:                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  I have had many opportunities to vote for or against an LDS politician, not once has the religion of those politicians influenced my vote. I dislike Trump ("greatly"), but I did not trust Hillary. I had to weigh my vote for two people that disgusted me. So I examined the issues and Trump's policy leaned more, thus I held my nose and voted for him, religion (or lack of had zero influence).

Bias factor:                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              We all have biases. I admit when I see an LDS member running for office and I am not in their district (therefore I do not follow the issues they support), I admit my interest is peaked and will usually hope for the member (I live in Nebraska, where there are no members in the major political system here). However, If a member here does ever decide to run for office and is in my voting area, I will not consider religion at all, but the issues.

Edited by Anijen
Edited to say; sorry for the typos...
On 10/30/2017 at 11:02 AM, Anijen said:

The religious factor:                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  I have had many opportunities to vote for or against an LDS politician, not once has the religion of those politicians influenced my vote. I dislike Trump ("greatly"), but I did not trust Hillary. I had to weigh my vote for two people that disgusted me. So I examined the issues and Trump's policy leaned more, thus I held my nose and voted for him, religion (or lack of had zero influence).

I like what you are saying, except for the Trump part. So someone who is demonizing undocumented immigrants and dividing our country is better than Hillary?  Was repealing Obamacare and tax reform more important to you?   

Edited by SamuelTheLamanite
8 minutes ago, SamuelTheLamanite said:

I like what you are saying, except for the Trump part. So someone who is demonizing undocumented immigrants and dividing our country is better than Hillary?  Was repealing Obamacare and tax reform more important to you?   

Religion, or the lack thereof, has never been an issue for who I vote for, or against. Show me what you do and I'll know what you believe.