Word of Wisdom Poll of Personal Beliefs

Word of Wisdom opinions  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Do you personally consider the Word of Wisdom a commandment (regardless of Church position) as opposed to wise advice?

2. 2. Which of the following do you personally consider prohibited by the Word of Wisdom (regardless of Church position)? Check all that apply.

• Black Tea/Coffee - HOT
    • Black Tea/Coffee - ICED
    • Herbal Teas - HOT or ICED
    • Energy Drinks/High Caffeine Soda
    • Hot Drinks of any kind - to include Cocoa/Hot Chocolate, Pero/Caro, Postum, Chicory, and any others you can name.
    • Tobacco
    • Beer
    • Wine
    • Liquor
    • Strong drinks - to include ALL alcohol
    • Meat (not during winter/cold/famine)
    • Fruit and Vegetables out of season
  3. 3. Do you consider following the Church position on the Word of Wisdom more important than the instructions in the document itself?

37 minutes ago, Rain said:

Caffeine drinks actually were part of the Word of Wisdom bans according to a close family member who attended a solemn assembly where a prophet (President Kimball?) stated so. 

I have heard different stories such as this promulgated from time to time but have not been able to ascertain that any official publication was ever made. 

A bulletin was issued in 1972:

“With reference to cola drinks, the Church has never officially taken a position on this matter, but the leaders of the Church have advised, and we do now specifically advise, against the use of any drink containing harmful habit-forming drugs under circumstances that would result in acquiring the habit. Any beverage that contains ingredients harmful to the body should be avoided” (Priesthood Bulletin, Feb. 1972, p. 4).

I try hard to limit my intake. I usually will drink one or two per day. I started drinking them years ago when my doctor told me that if I was going to drink sodas to switch to Dr. Pepper because it at least contains fruit juices (their site says it is a blend of 23 different juices). I did stop drinking them entirely for several years but started back after undergoing chemotherapy in 2008. For some reason I still become nauseous for no apparent reason and sipping a Dr. Pepper does normally alleviate that. 

Glenn

6 minutes ago, Glenn101 said:

I have heard different stories such as this promulgated from time to time but have not been able to ascertain that any official publication was ever made. 

“With reference to cola drinks, the Church has never officially taken a position on this matter, but the leaders of the Church have advised, and we do now specifically advise, against the use of any drink containing harmful habit-forming drugs under circumstances that would result in acquiring the habit. Any beverage that contains ingredients harmful to the body should be avoided” (Priesthood Bulletin, Feb. 1972, p. 4).

I try hard to limit my intake. I usually will drink one or two per day. I started drinking them years ago when my doctor told me that if I was going to drink sodas to switch to Dr. Pepper because it at least contains fruit juices (their site says it is a blend of 23 different juices). I did stop drinking them entirely for several years but started back after undergoing chemotherapy in 2008. For some reason I still become nauseous for no apparent reason and sipping a Dr. Pepper does normally alleviate that. 

Glenn

Have you been tested for hypoglycemia?

1 minute ago, Glenn101 said:

Glenn

I know it was sometime after 1974 with my relative.  When he told me about it about 10 years ago I was actually kind of irritated about it.  I couldn't understand then, or now, why they would be told and the rest of us wouldn't be.  (Oh, I know, I know for those of you  thinking you will post an answer - I wouldn't be judged by not living it if I didn't know).  I was just frustrated that many of us would be expected to live by the idea, but only some of us would be taught to do it by the general leaders of the church.  (My family has a controlling history so things like that rub me wrong). 

I have no judgment on anyone that drinks it or not.  I was just stating why it could be confusing to many as to whether it is part of the WoW ban or not.  

And you have just explained to me why I think Dr pepper is ick.  :)  The juices.  I always thought there was some kind of fruity component to it and the blend is just wrong! 

1 hour ago, Rain said:

I have proof that it should be in the Word of Wisdom don'ts!  My SIL has a story where she loves her Dr. Pepper so much that she can't do without it and her oldest boy is a bit mischievous and spiked her bottle with ...soy sauce.  Upon drinking it as she was backing out the car it caused her to choke and back into her neighbor's tree across the street.  The way she tells it is much better of course.  

I actually don't like the taste, but it has nothing to do with that story!   

Funny story! 

Dr Pepper is for me a memory of one of my grandmothers. When I was very young, every time I visited her she would always have it in her fridge, and she'd give me a bottle. My family never had it, so I always associated it with her. To this day, I can't help thinking about her when I see that drink. And besides, I like it!

Just now, Hamba Tuhan said:

Hmm, I've always (always!) been careful to clarify that alcoholic drinks include beer, wine and spirits.

I get that. I think I have done that as well.  But it is a clarification of what "alcohol" means.

For example, Preach my Gospel says, " It (the WoW) teaches very specifically that we are to avoid harmful substances, including alcohol, tobacco, tea, and coffee. We must also avoid harmful drugs in any form. "

So then you would clarify by saying something like, "this would include "alcoholic drinks like beer, wine and spirits."

Using it the way you describe and to be like what I describe of tea it would have to say, "It teaches very specifically that we are to avoid harmful substances, including beer, tobacco, tea, and coffee." 

I'm not saying herbal tea is banned in the WoW. I'm just saying that what we have doesn't specify that it is ok and there is a reason why some may think it is not ok. 

46 minutes ago, Calm said:

Have you been tested for hypoglycemia?

Actually my blood sugar at one time was a bit high as was my blood pressure. I was on blood pressure medication and as well as medication to reduce my blood sugar levels, but after losing thirty pounds they both have come down to acceptable levels without medication. I really am fortunate blessed.

Thanks for asking.

Glenn

9 minutes ago, Thinking said:

The Word of Wisdom as delivered by Joseph Smith belongs in the New Testament.

The Word of Wisdom as practiced today belongs in the Old Testament.

I tend to agree with your sentiment.  Which surprises me!

Fortunately, we don't usually have a Pharisaical class going about making sure we hew to every last jot and tittle of the WoW. The question is: "Do you keep the Word of Wisdom?" And you answer according to your conscience.  

Although no doubt if the bishop saw you sucking down suds at the local den of sin he might be inclined to not accept a "Yes"!

40 minutes ago, Rain said:

I'm not saying herbal tea is banned in the WoW. I'm just saying that what we have doesn't specify that it is ok and there is a reason why some may think it is not ok. 

I haven't been a full-time missionary in some time, but you're triggering memories, and I think we frequently discussed tea as well. FWIW...

12 minutes ago, Jane_Doe said:

Note: just because something isn't specifically listed against in the WoW doesn't mean that it's good for you!  (Yes, I'm looking at you energy drinks)

Which general point the prophets have repeatedly taught in Church materials.

My personal guess is that we got the 'big four' forbidden substances via revelation (and prophetic interpretation) in large part because they were and still are globally ubiquitous.

For those with 'ears to hear', the Lord can easily provide more localised and even personalised guidance.

I found it interesting that in one of the 'leaks' documents, one/some of the general authorities mentioned that we might be getting more clarification on things like legalised marijuana and more localised substances in future. (We certainly have one in these parts that, first, takes men away from their families and then, once that damage is done, straight out of the Church...)

Edited by Hamba Tuhan
32 minutes ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

I haven't been a full-time missionary in some time, but you're triggering memories, and I think we frequently discussed tea as well. FWIW...

That's possible, but I'm guessing none of your clarifications were from official church publications - I've yet to find one, but would be happy to know if you have. 

Over the years I've learned, most of the time when people ask if something is ok, not to give clarifications or reasons unless official, but have shown people what it says and advised them that they need to work it out with the Lord.  I've just heard way too many wrong or misleading clarifications or reasons. 

I'm not saying your clarifications are wrong. I'm just saying that I have found nothing official that clarifies what "tea" is, so I don't feel comfortable saying _____ is ok and _________ is not. And because I don't feel comfortable doing that, then I understand why some feel that herbal tea is not ok. 

5 hours ago, Button Gwinnett said:

So caffeine free coffee hot or cold is ok while caffeinated coffee hot or cold is not, cold drinks whether caffeinated or not are ok.  So it's not the temperature,  nor the caffeine, nor that it's coffee, I'm so confused. Can someone make sense of why caffeinated coffee is forbidden again? And if someone combines a  hot caffeine free coffee with their caffeinated soda does that then make the beverage prohibited?

No. You're being caffeine-centric, which is the same darned mistake made by many people.  If the problem were caffeine, we'd also be proscribing cocoa -- which doesn't have much, but it does have it. It is coffee and tea. Whether it is caffeine-free it is still coffee and tea.

I'm beginning to wonder - am I just not explaining myself well?  It wouldn't be the first time. I just thought it was pretty simple, but maybe I'm missing something in my explanations? 

Just to clarify one thing. I never said herbal tea was not ok. I stated no judgment on it or on those who drink it. 

16 hours ago, HappyJackWagon said:

I find it funny that it only matters if things are ignored IF people are explicitly told to ignore them.

Next time you speak with your Stake Pres. or Bishop ask them about the TR question about keeping the word of wisdom. There are parts (no coffee, tea, alcohol, tobacco) that they are enforcing and other areas they are clearly ignoring. Ask them why they are ignoring the other aspects of the WoW and see what they say. Is it just common knowledge that we don't hold people accountable for how much meat they eat or has some direction been given about how to interpret what it means to "keep the word of wisdom"?

How many commandments to do break and yet have a temple recommend in good faith? Do you view the Word of Wisdom as a commandment?

I haven't made the same cold judgement as you have, that any of the above judges in Israel are clearly ignoring parts of the Word of Wisdom. I see that as one way to whisk the Spirit out of my part in the interview, at least a portion of the Spirit that I am accustomed to having with me.

D&C 89 itself explains how you can interpret what it means to "keep the word of wisdom". You ask about some direction from our top leaders, but they have already used their keys to do so. They have established the particulars within the Word of Wisdom that we are to follow for meeting a certain level of worthiness that they and our judges are to consider when using the keys to issue recommends, callings, etc. Going further than that is up to you. Do you go further, and what are your blessings as a result?

I think the very scripture calls it "A Word of Wisdom" for a reason! We call it the Word of Wisdom for the reasons / context I explained above.

12 hours ago, Rain said:

Oh, and Dr Pepper? Ick. :D

Funny you specifically mention Dr. Pepper.  Dr Pepper was my "entry drug"  I had lived my entire life caffeine free through my mid 20's, then in a moment of weakness I had a Dr Pepper.  I can't even explain why I had that rebellious moment and broke what I then believed was the WoW but after that dam broke I was off the wagon.  From then through to today I have been a cold caffeine drinker of Diet Coke and the like.

29 minutes ago, HappyJackWagon said:

I cannot understand how you could possibly claim that current leaders apply the WoW dos and don'ts consistently. If they enforce WoW adherence for temple recommends by not allowing people who drink, smoke, etc to have recommends yet they don't deny recommends to the morbidly obese who eat a slab of ribs at every dinner, then obviously adherence to certain parts of the WoW are more important than others.

How can you claim otherwise. It's a nonsensical claim. Separate WoW requirements, as found in scripture, are not followed equally, which means some are being ignored. You can claim that ignoring it is justified because those with priesthood keys have the right to ignore it, but you can't claim it isn't being ignored. It simply is not being followed. 

The WoW is administered as a church policy based loosely on parts of a revelation.

Answer my questions so that I will answer yours -- I think that will help (or at least take the conversation in a direction that will help) you understand what I am trying to say.

You do seem to understand that we have a Church worthiness standard used by the judges in issuing recommends and callings based on some of the sayings in D&C 89. But do answer my questions for the rest.

8 hours ago, Stargazer said:

No. You're being caffeine-centric, which is the same darned mistake made by many people.  If the problem were caffeine, we'd also be proscribing cocoa -- which doesn't have much, but it does have it. It is coffee and tea. Whether it is caffeine-free it is still coffee and tea.

Sorry but I disagree.  A member can and will receive their temple recommend even if they drink caffeine free coffee.  So drinking "coffee" is NOT the issue.  And as I stated earlier, you can drink Hot beverages such as hot herbal teas or hot chocolate and still receive your recommend. So "HOT" is not the issue. And you can drink caffeinated soft drinks so "Caffeine" is Not the issue.  It seems that ONLY when you combine Caffeine to Coffee ,either hot or cold, are you in violation to the Word of wisdom.  I'm going to go out on a limb and state that if one were to combine their Caffeine free coffee with a caffeinated cola that that combination would be OK, Which frankly makes zero sense with the exception that it make LDS people peculiar which may be the only point of the ban.

I second the obesity problem among the Saints, Why people are allowed to gain immense amounts of unhealthy weight and still qualify for a TR while the healthy coffee drinker is banned from temple attendance is beyond me.  Am I sounding like a rebel?  Sorry.  But this aspect of the WoW make no sense and the church ahs provided no logical answer or explanation except to trust and obey, but the entire WoW seems opportunistic and illogical and I can't imagine God being this illogical and nebulous. Did I say to much? I know I'm grandstanding. 

8 hours ago, Rain said:

I'm beginning to wonder - am I just not explaining myself well?  It wouldn't be the first time. I just thought it was pretty simple, but maybe I'm missing something in my explanations? 

Just to clarify one thing. I never said herbal tea was not ok. I stated no judgment on it or on those who drink it. 

I don't see people saying you are judging or believe it, they are just responding to the argument you are passing on that is used to include herbal infusions/teas in the forbidden category of the WoW.

"A member can and will receive their temple recommend even if they drink caffeine free coffee"

That would likely depend on the leader from what I have seen.

My memory says that when decaffeinated coffee came out, there was confusion over it and therefore a directive was issued saying coffee was coffee, hot, cold, caffeinated or not.

However, this was when I was a kid and I may have misunderstood and it was a local one.  My great uncle was one of those who started using decaffeinated and I just couldn't get my head around the appeal if it wasn't going to energize you.  Smell of coffee is delicious, taste is yech to me.

It is also possible my memory is accurate and it was Church wide but that leadership has stepped back from making that type of decision for the individual.

I would be interested to see if any bishops or those with legal access to the current manual can confirm it is not dealt with in handbook 1.  They were going to address it in the New Era once, the I have a question section advertised it as next month's question...'could a young lady have a decaffeinated coffee at Starbuck's with her friends' iirc.  That it never showed up indicates to me they are either leaving it to the individual or the local leader.