Seriously No Politics ×

Witness during sustaining

I had an interesting experience in sacrament meeting. The Bishopric reorganized the Primary Presidency and the Holy Spirit strongly testified to me that this was an inspired calling.

It just seemed strange to me because I've never had a witness like that for any calling sustainings.

Has anyone experienced anything like this before?

Hello Avatar...

I get impressions from time to time when listening to the First Pres, Q of 12 , or other leaders... though can't recall at local level.  But I love it when it happens...

GG

2 hours ago, Avatar4321 said:

I had an interesting experience in sacrament meeting. The Bishopric reorganized the Primary Presidency and the Holy Spirit strongly testified to me that this was an inspired calling.

It just seemed strange to me because I've never had a witness like that for any calling sustainings.

I have for a stake president and a couple of bishops.

7 hours ago, Avatar4321 said:

I normally sustain automatically myself unless I have a good reason not too. But some years ago I was a member of a small branch and a newly arrived member and very young was called to be the Branch President. I felt that was an inspired call and had a special feeling when I raised my hand to sustain him. His tenure as the Branch President confirmed to me that his was an inspired calling.

I watched the General Conference from my home and when sustaining votes were called for the first presidency and the quorum of the twelve I felt inspired, almost compelled to raise my hand to sustain them although there was no one to see this but maybe my wife. So many times in the past I have raised my hand perfunctorily, but not so this time.

Glenn

11 hours ago, Rain said:

I felt a very peaceful feeling when one primary teacher was called, more so than normal. That day and the last week or so before that I had been subbing in a primary class that were a handful. She sat in on the class while I taught that day. When she sat in between 2 of the kids that gave me the biggest trouble before class started, that was when the Spirit really bore testimony that she was right for the calling. During the course of the class she said and did things that changed the whole attitude of the students. You would not believe they were the same class.

I work with children alot. What was it that she did, I'd love to know! :)

On 10/8/2017 at 9:42 PM, Avatar4321 said:

A few times.

Once when I was the ward clerk, I was late to our morning bishopric meeting (having overslept) and when I finally got there, I apologized to the bishopric members. The bishop said, "No problem! I was told last night that we're being released this morning, so all we've been doing is reminiscing!" I asked if he knew who the new bishop was going to be, and he said yes, but he wasn't going to tell.  I decided to go ahead and head up to the chapel (two-story meetinghouse) and get ready for the meeting. On the way, I saw that one of the classrooms had its light on, and suddenly the impression came to me that the new bishop was in that room. Actually, it was more than just an impression; the words "The new bishop is in that room" came into my mind. As I passed it, I popped my head into the room, and saw Bob, who was one of our ward missionaries. He was the only one in the room, and we greeted each other. He was apparently in there because sometimes the ward mission used one of the classrooms for Sunday coordination with the full-time Elders.  And of course, brother Bob was called and sustained to be the new bishop!  

And I should tell about this experience my late wife had when our stake was reorganized several years ago.

It was after the Saturday evening adult meeting. As we were walking out the door, she turned to look at this one brother who was also walking out. She stood there briefly examining him (there were many leaving at that moment, so she didn't really stand out), then started to continue on with me to the car. But then she stopped me, nodded towards him as he was walking the other way, and whispered "He's the new stake president!"  Neither of us knew him personally, and I don't think either one of us knew his name. And there was nothing outward about him that gave any kind of a clue. I certainly didn't see what she did, but the next day he was the one called. 

I can't say that it has ever happened for me during a sustaining, but it often happens prior to it. There have been many times when I knew who was going to be called to serve before it happened, confirming the inspiration. Interestingly, this seems to happen sometimes with people who turn out to struggle in their callings in some way. I think this is the Lord's way of reassuring me in advance that he is aware of the struggles they may have and to not doubt his judgement. 

1 hour ago, DispensatorMysteriorum said:

I can't say that it has ever happened for me during a sustaining, but it often happens prior to it. There have been many times when I knew who was going to be called to serve before it happened, confirming the inspiration. Interestingly, this seems to happen sometimes with people who turn out to struggle in their callings in some way. I think this is the Lord's way of reassuring me in advance that he is aware of the struggles they may have and to not doubt his judgement. 

Interesting point about the struggling. I've not noticed this, myself, but I concede that it seems reasonable for the Lord to do this.

In my case, in the new callings that I've received a witness of seemed to presage exceptional performance on the part of the one called. 

And in the case when I was called to serve as a branch president, I knew a couple of weeks before it happened that it would happen. Not that I exhibited exceptional performance, as I am sure I could have done a better job than I actually did -- but the most noticeable thing to me was the ongoing sustaining and guidance by the Spirit while I held the calling.  

On 10/8/2017 at 10:42 PM, Avatar4321 said:

Have you shared that experience and confidence with them?

It might be the little extra umph they need this week.

14 hours ago, The Nehor said:

When I was 11 I knew my father was going to be the bishop called to replace the outgoing bishop. My brother and I had a sleepover at the old bishop’s house with his sons and their oldest also knew.

If you don't mind, can you say how you knew?

One time the stake I lived in held a special conference to create a new ward. As the Stake President's counselor was explaining the ward boundaries, I noticed that our house was just inside the new ward. I then got a strong impression that my wife would be the Relief Society President in that ward.

She was.