Seriously No Politics ×

For Those Who May Want To Know

Jeanne

1 hour ago, Jeanne said:

Grant Palmer passed away today.  I very much respected him.  Condolences to family and friends.

I didn't know that, thanks for passing this on. I liked the guy, and once went to a meet up group meeting where he presented. I especially liked how he was very much a follower of Christ, despite his losing his testimony of the church. 

I am sorry as well. Not only for his loss of faith, but also for his choice to try and scuttle the faith of others. I am sorry he drew his salary from the tithe-payers of the very church he sought to malign; it is beyond me how someone of good conscience could do that. I am sorry for his lack of rigor and care in analyzing church history and doctrine. And I am sorry (not really) that he drew the attention of Lou Midgley.

Edited by Derl Sanderson
Better sentence
28 minutes ago, Derl Sanderson said:

I am sorry as well. Not only for his loss of faith, but also for his choice to try and scuttle the faith of others. I am sorry he drew his salary from the tithe-payers of the very church he sought to malign; it is beyond me how someone of good conscience could do that. I am sorry for his lack of rigor and care in analyzing church history and doctrine. And I am sorry (not really) that he drew the attention of Lou Midgley.

I am sorry you are so sorry..and sorry that you feel sorry about everything.  :(  He lived a good life..let it be.

4 hours ago, Derl Sanderson said:

What if he thought he was doing the right thing if he thought the church was false? Can't blame the guy really, if he thought people in the church were on the wrong path. 

15 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

They say it is wrong to speak ill of the dead so I will just say I hope for his sake that the fires of hell are like a hot tub that is really painful at first but eventually you get used to it.

Nehor...we should say this for ALL our sakes...you might get some fire yourself for this judgemental  wrong to speak for the dead...:P

20 hours ago, Derl Sanderson said:

I dreamt death came the other night
And heaven's gate swung wide;
With kindly grace an angel came
To usher me inside.

Yet there to my astonishment
Stood folks I'd known on earth,
Some I had judged as quite unfit
Or of very little worth.

Indignant words rose to my lips
But never were set free;
For every face showed stunned surprise
NO ONE expected me! 

2 minutes ago, ALarson said:

I dreamt death came the other night
And heaven's gate swung wide;
With kindly grace an angel came
To usher me inside.

Yet there to my astonishment
Stood folks I'd known on earth,
Some I had judged as quite unfit
Or of very little worth.

Indignant words rose to my lips
But never were set free;
For every face showed stunned surprise
NO ONE expected me! 

Oh...love this!!  My hope! 

4 hours ago, Jeanne said:

Oh...love this!!  My hope! 

My Dad kept that poem taped to his mirror all of the years I was growing up.   He said that the poem was just a good reminder....

I know of no one who was less judgmental or more kind and humble than my Father was too. 

I'm disappointed to see the post I responded to.  I never met Grant Palmer, but I did read a couple of his books.  My favorite one is The Incomparable Jesus, which is a beautiful book about the Savior and it's a book that I read at a very low point in my life which really helped me a great deal.  

His other book, is one that I found interesting (nothing much new in it for me), but I did not agree with some of his conclusions.  

However, IMO, we can disagree with people and still have the class and dignity to not post judgmental thoughts or personal attacks about them when they pass away.  I hoped no one here would do that, but I was wrong apparently.  I am of the belief that it's better to say nothing rather than post something like that.  But that's just me....

Edited by ALarson
1 hour ago, The Nehor said:

I have the words of a Seventy to back me up:

"Cut me off from the Church? They can't do that! I repent too damn fast!"

-I think you can guess the source

Nehor...i so respect you and your values..may you find a nice warm hot tub in the eternities....I will turn on the bubbles.:P  church or not church...can't you see that we are the same..humans trying to do their best.  Hugs..Jeanne

1 hour ago, Jeanne said:

Nehor...i so respect you and your values..may you find a nice warm hot tub in the eternities....I will turn on the bubbles.:P  church or not church...can't you see that we are the same..humans trying to do their best.  Hugs..Jeanne

To be fair not all humans are trying their best. I respect the ones who do.

On 9/28/2017 at 9:06 AM, Jeanne said:

Nehor...we should say this for ALL our sakes...you might get some fire yourself for this judgemental  wrong to speak for the dead...:P

People speak for the dead all the time. Just ask Joseph Smith and Brigham Young. :-)

Every death is sad, especially so for those who have friends and loved ones who remember them. For those who have done wrong, and have not repented in this life, it is doubly sad.  

DC 42:45 Thou shalt live together in love, insomuch that thou shalt weep for the loss of them that die, and more especially for those that have not hope of a glorious resurrection.

Grant Palmer's work was to fight against the Church of Jesus Christ, to bring as many of its members into apostasy as he could, and to prevent as many nonmembers from embracing it as possible. I understand that he was doing his work in ignorance, having lost his faith. So perhaps we can admire his tenacity and zeal in his work, a work in which he clearly believed.  But he was on the wrong side. Some of you here believe differently, and that is your right. If you do believe differently, you may be comforted in the fact that his death does not end his work -- it continues on through his writings, which will continue to make war upon the Church of Jesus Christ long after his death. 

As for me, I am sorry for his loved ones' sorrow at his passing.