Seriously No Politics ×

I can't get away from it

I don't spend a lot of time thinking about the church these days. The missionaries came a couple of months ago and told me the reason I don't go to church is because I don't feel worthy. Made me chuckle a little. But other than that, it had been pretty quiet on the church front.

This week, however, the church keeps coming up in weird ways. I started reading a Norwegian detective novel, and one of the characters is a Mormon, an American who is a descendant of John D. Lee. Two nights ago, I was watching an Australian show, and Mormons came up again, twice. Last night I watched Steve McQueen in "The Getaway." In one scene, a soldier at a bar turns to Ali McGraw and asks, "Are you a Mormon? I'm not, either, but I'm from Orem, Utah, which is near Salt Lake. I'm one of the few people there who isn't Mormon." And then this morning I was behind a minivan with a huge BYU sticker.

Is the universe trying to tell me something? 

3 minutes ago, jkwilliams said:

I don't spend a lot of time thinking about the church these days. The missionaries came a couple of months ago and told me the reason I don't go to church is because I don't feel worthy. Made me chuckle a little. But other than that, it had been pretty quiet on the church front.

This week, however, the church keeps coming up in weird ways. I started reading a Norwegian detective novel, and one of the characters is a Mormon, an American who is a descendant of John D. Lee. Two nights ago, I was watching an Australian show, and Mormons came up again, twice. Last night I watched Steve McQueen in "The Getaway." In one scene, a soldier at a bar turns to Ali McGraw and asks, "Are you a Mormon? I'm not, either, but I'm from Orem, Utah, which is near Salt Lake. I'm one of the few people there who isn't Mormon." And then this morning I was behind a minivan with a huge BYU sticker.

yeah... don't forget about us.  Remember your heritage.  it ain't perfect but it helped make you you, at least. 

17 minutes ago, jkwilliams said:

It's the Baader-Meinhof phenomenon

18 minutes ago, jkwilliams said:

Last night I watched Steve McQueen in "The Getaway." In one scene, a soldier at a bar turns to Ali McGraw and asks, "Are you a Mormon? I'm not, either, but I'm from Orem, Utah, which is near Salt Lake. I'm one of the few people there who isn't Mormon."

That is a wretched movie. Sally Struthers' poor husband, and that whole thing with her and her captor. Talk about Stockholm Syndrome.

"The Great Escape," on the other hand, is one of our family's favorite movies (especially the kids). 

Just now, rongo said:

That is a wretched movie. Sally Struthers' poor husband, and that whole thing with her and her captor. Talk about Stockholm Syndrome.

"The Great Escape," on the other hand, is one of our family's favorite movies (especially the kids). 

It was pretty grim, indeed. 

2 minutes ago, jkwilliams said:

It was pretty grim, indeed. 

Speaking of running into things over and over . . .

At the end of "The Getaway," when they escape to Mexico, they are given a ride by a folksy cowboy guy. The actor's name is Slim Pickens. After we saw "The Getaway," we kept seeing Slim Pickens in movies. It's kind of a hard name to miss. ;) 

I find that when I learn a new word, it crops up over and over in my reading and in the media. I'm not sure if it's because I now notice it, or if it's just a magical/mystical thing, but it seems like it's always that way.

As far as your question in the OP, I think it's a sign for you to come back . . . ;)   Just kidding, but I'm sure that God and we would be happy to have you back. You could call your next book "Heaven Back Here." :) 

56 minutes ago, jkwilliams said:

Ha!  Its the spirit silly!  :-)  

Seriously though, I always enjoy your posts here and your participation in Mormonism.  You're Mormon to me if you claim it, I don't care about Sunday meeting attendance, just identity, heretical and all, its all part of the tradition and you're part of that crazy tradition whether you like it or not.  

3 minutes ago, hope_for_things said:

Ha!  Its the spirit silly!  :-)  

Seriously though, I always enjoy your posts here and your participation in Mormonism.  You're Mormon to me if you claim it, I don't care about Sunday meeting attendance, just identity, heretical and all, its all part of the tradition and you're part of that crazy tradition whether you like it or not.  

I'm definitely a cultural Mormon. I still like BYU sports, even.

1 hour ago, jkwilliams said:

Yes, read better books and watch better movies. :) Well wait, anything with "Ali McGraw" has got to be a good movie! 

34 minutes ago, jkwilliams said:

Heh. I figured most people would have noticed a distinct chill in the air when I showed up. :P

Is that what it was? And here I thought it was just the air conditioning kicking on.

1 hour ago, jkwilliams said:

LOL. God just can't quit you. :)

For me, I take tings like this as a communication from God but He never forces His will upon me. Ultimately I have to make a choice. I would love for you to come back into the Church but that's between you and God. I think He *is* speaking to you.

Take care, brother.

1 hour ago, rongo said:

Speaking of running into things over and over . . .

At the end of "The Getaway," when they escape to Mexico, they are given a ride by a folksy cowboy guy. The actor's name is Slim Pickens. After we saw "The Getaway," we kept seeing Slim Pickens in movies. It's kind of a hard name to miss. ;) 

I find that when I learn a new word, it crops up over and over in my reading and in the media. I'm not sure if it's because I now notice it, or if it's just a magical/mystical thing, but it seems like it's always that way.

As far as your question in the OP, I think it's a sign for you to come back . . . ;)   Just kidding, but I'm sure that God and we would be happy to have you back. You could call your next book "Heaven Back Here." :) 

There's a name for that...

Frequency Illusion or Baader Meinhof Complex

3 hours ago, jkwilliams said:

What are you trying tell you?